The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by Kim-x
Group work ****s me off. "Alright guys we need to get this done ASAP because I'm sure we've all got other things to get done." Yeah, an essay that is a) due two weeks before that, b) is longer and c) is worth more of the module to which it relates. Oh and d) Won't get ****** up by people who contradict themselves.

lol group work can be so annoying at times. Thankfully I have a good group except one person who keeps giving plagiarised work :angry:
Reply 961
in the library for the first time this year...feels strange
Original post by Yin-Yang
Hello everyone!
Is it okay if I join you all here? This looks really useful :biggrin:
I'm in the final few months of my degree, and really starting to struggle because there's just too much to do! I have a lot of other problems going on at the moment, feeling very stressed out and seriously lacking motivation. I seem ot be spending all day trying to work and not actually getting anything done, its very frustrating! :frown:
My long-term to do list:
Dissertation ~ 10,000 words
Essay 1: 3,500 words
Essay 2: 2,500 words
Essay 3: 2,500 words
Essay 4: 2,000 words
2 x Presentations

Deadline for all of the above is the end of April :ashamed:

What I have actually done:
Small amount of dissertation reading
Began reading the primary texts and formulating a couple of basic ideas for essay 2 and 3.

Tonight's List:
Application form for postgraduate study
As much as I can of 1/2 books for seminar tomorrow

Just thought I'd introduce myself! Any tips of managing all of this when I've all but given up would be great :smile:

You've come this far, it would be daft to walk away without getting something out of all of your hard work. You know that already I guess but it's worth reinforcing it :biggrin:.

Right, I'm going to do some more reading for my dissertation, I need ~4,000 words done by Friday.
Been procrastinating all month. Seriously procrastinating. I am going to write tonight with the aim of doing 500-700 words. That will take me to 1000 which is a start.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
What year of uni are you in, if you don't mind me asking? Sorry if it's in your sig but I have sigs blocked on my pc. If you can take your foot off the gas a bit (if you're 1st/2nd year) then take advantage of it. When I was struggling in 2nd year I decided to only allow myself to get stressed out over stuff that counted towards my grade - exams and assessed coursework. If I found myself getting stressed over other stuff I put it in a '**** it' pile and concentrated on my assessed work. I know that seminar readings and presentations will help in the long run in terms of passing exams but if you have other assessed work sooner than exams then focus on that.

Get through this hurdle of getting the essay done and submitted and then give yourself a break this weekend if you don't have any other assessed work. There's only so much your mind can take in terms of stress. I nearly dropped out last year due to stress but I've reached a point where I just won't allow myself to get worked up about stuff anymore - it's a case of prioritising I suppose.

Sorry for the realllllly late reply. But yeah, I'm in 2nd year. Idk, I find it impossible to keep up-to-date with my assessed work. I don't even bother with the unassessed work =S lol. And I do english literature, which I find such a bore because the books we read are wack! lol...yeah, I'm just having a really hard time :emo:
Original post by hothedgehog
Been procrastinating all month. Seriously procrastinating. I am going to write tonight with the aim of doing 500-700 words. That will take me to 1000 which is a start.

I'm not sure about the whole month, but it definately seems like you have been procrastinating over the last few days (I'm sure I have seen this exact update from you more than a couple of times :P)

keep going with the dissertation! (just don't go over board and end up leaving yourself 1900 words from which you need to write 2.5 more chapters and there be no space for any more appendices...like I did...:ninja:)

I have however enjoyed my rather relaxing weekend due to finishing all my notes on Friday and not being able to progress with my dissertation any more until I meet with my supervisor (and even then I am limited with the progress due to the word count... two weeks ago a min of 6,000 seemed impossible, now however it is the max of 10,000 that seems impossible :frown: )
and as another bonus my weekend has been extended until 4.15 tomorrow due to a lovely cancelled lecture at 11.15 :smile:

now I just don't know what to do with my time. I know I'll bulk out my dissertation with even more appendices...
Original post by ellejaytee
I'm not sure about the whole month, but it definately seems like you have been procrastinating over the last few days (I'm sure I have seen this exact update from you more than a couple of times :P)

keep going with the dissertation! (just don't go over board and end up leaving yourself 1900 words from which you need to write 2.5 more chapters and there be no space for any more appendices...like I did...:ninja:)

I have however enjoyed my rather relaxing weekend due to finishing all my notes on Friday and not being able to progress with my dissertation any more until I meet with my supervisor (and even then I am limited with the progress due to the word count... two weeks ago a min of 6,000 seemed impossible, now however it is the max of 10,000 that seems impossible :frown: )

Yes, I have been massively procrastinating. Not having lectures has really bummed me out on the motivation front. I start lectures again tomorrow so hopefully I'll get back in the swing of it! Also, don't worry about your dissertation. You'll work out which bits to delete when the time comes - I ended up having to do that for my last one.
Reply 968
I should be doing my online logic quiz, but instead I'm sitting around eating chocolate chip cookies and wondering why Charlotte always gets her light turned off on Take Me Out.
Reply 969
Original post by avash27
I should be doing my online logic quiz, but instead I'm sitting around eating chocolate chip cookies and wondering why Charlotte always gets her light turned off on Take Me Out.

why did you get rid of your lse signature thingy? it looked pretty dope
Right done one more slide and I'm going to bed now as I've had to set my alarm for half 6 :s. Going to Parliament tomorrow so I won't be getting any work done.
Does anyone have any good tips about presenting ??

I have a group presentation this week, which I am sooooo dreading! I hate speaking in front of a lot of people :redface:
Original post by VanillaTwilight
Does anyone have any good tips about presenting ??

I have a group presentation this week, which I am sooooo dreading! I hate speaking in front of a lot of people :redface:

Know your speak back to front and upside down. Know around your area as well in case questions come up. Smile and walk up to where you have to give the presentation with confidence; keep smiling through it. Don't pace or through your arms around but if it helps you, channel some of your nerves in gesticulating - not massive gestures (keep it within the 'natural box' of your body) but don't stand there like a scared rabbit. Fake confidence if you have to, but know that you can own it!
Reply 973
Original post by pk550
why did you get rid of your lse signature thingy? it looked pretty dope

Woah! I so did not do that... I might have unchecked show your signature when I posted that time? I have no idea :confused:

Edit: It shows up on this post! How random.

Edit again: Wait no it doesn't... only sometimes. I don't know what's going on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by avash27
Woah! I so did not do that... I might have unchecked show your signature when I posted that time? I have no idea :confused:

Edit: It shows up on this post! How random.

Edit again: Wait no it doesn't... only sometimes. I don't know what's going on.

If you have more than one post on a page (be it 20 posts/page or 60) then your sig only shows on the oldest post on that page. That will be why.

Had a night out, 9am start and a target of 2 lab reports done tomorrow with work in the evening. This will be fun. Thank **** for 10pm starts!
Had a really bad phone convo with my mom earlier - hope we can sort stuff out when I phone on Tues as I'm going home this weekend.

Meant to do a 1000 word essay on the life/philosophy of a political philosopher for a week today but it's not assessed or anything so I'm considering not doing it. I also have a presentation on nationalism to do for that date. Otherwise I'm done until exams in May.

Hoping I get my Land Law essay back this week - I need a good mark in this to pull up my average as I haven't been doing too well this year.
Reply 976
Only had 5hrs sleep but feeling very alert and I have had a brainwave for my essay which has lifted my confidence for it a bit. I realised I pretty much need a first on it to maintain my average so I'm stressing about it so much, even though I shouldn't really since its not like i'm in 2nd/3rd year..

But yeah, to do today:

-Workshop, lectures
-come back to my flat and edit what I have written so far on essay/write 100+ more words
-society meeting
-start politics seminar prep
Original post by ItsRach
Only had 5hrs sleep but feeling very alert

Ditto - wonder how long it'll last? :biggrin:
Lot's of housekeeping-y things to get done for today:
- Print job application and masculinities essay. Post former.
- Go on epic mission to attain the library's LAST COPY of a politics book for lit review.
- Blood tests: round 2 :frown:
- Attend lecture.
- Work on lit review (hopefully with the aid of the aforementioned book).
Reply 978
So I went to get some feedback for one of my exams, and the lecturer's first words were: 'so why are you here? you got a good mark' - talk about encouraging people to want even better marks ;/
apart from that though I did get some good feedback. Apparently one of my answers lost momentum and lost its structure towards the end, but my other question had some really interesting points and it was obvious I had engaged with the literature. Basically just got to be more critical and maintain a good structure to pick up extra marks.
Reply 979
Promised my supervisor I'd be more productive so I've (surprisingly) got some work done! :biggrin:

(I wonder if he can bribe me with chocolate or something whenever I get lazy...that could work :ninja:)

Still need to work on that French presentation which is hard to do since I now loathe French :colonhash: Can't wait to be done with it for good :sigh:

Latest

Trending

Trending