The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
My dad managed to zoom in on Internet Explorer and couldn't leave it alone despite not knowing how to put it right. I don't know what he's done but he now has a virus in his computer and it's apparently all my fault because I wasn't there to sort it... :angry:
Original post by Loz17
Was on synthesis of Dimedone. The NMR/IR for it was easy. The mechanism was not.

I know this might be n00by, but wtf is meant by a first order reaction?! I know how to calculate it but I just DO NOT understand the concept at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Alexandra1234567
Alaric doesn't ever diss anyone...he's got that compliment critique compliment sandwich down to a tee...

I <3 Alaric.
Had one lecture by him in the module that I dropped and it was certainly 'groovy'
I'm going to fail. I know I established that it is actually impossible for me to fail (unless i average -3.94) but i am going to fail my dissertation.

I have needed help for the last two weeks. My supervisor has failed to help me, failed to meet me and probably doesn't know that there is an issue, let alone what the issue is. I need help!!!!

Sorry for the rant... had a difficult morning with my dissertation again and then when i went out to buy my birthday present from my dad I couldn't because the stupid staff were ignoring me because i'm a student and couldn't possibly afford what I was looking at. Hence I am back home hating dissertation and also presentless :frown:
Original post by ellejaytee
I'm going to fail. I know I established that it is actually impossible for me to fail (unless i average -3.94) but i am going to fail my dissertation.

I have needed help for the last two weeks. My supervisor has failed to help me, failed to meet me and probably doesn't know that there is an issue, let alone what the issue is. I need help!!!!

Sorry for the rant... had a difficult morning with my dissertation again and then when i went out to buy my birthday present from my dad I couldn't because the stupid staff were ignoring me because i'm a student and couldn't possibly afford what I was looking at. Hence I am back home hating dissertation and also presentless :frown:

My dissertation is just the bane of my life right now. Everyone said it would be a bitch but I thought it was exaggeration. :frown:
Original post by somethingbeautiful
My dissertation is just the bane of my life right now. Everyone said it would be a bitch but I thought it was exaggeration. :frown:

I know, I chose not to believe them at the time, and with most supervisors that would have been right. I am capable of doing the work but without feedback occassionally then I can't do it. The method he told me to use, and I learnt how to use, isn't applicable to my data, I know the other methods but i need him to give me some advise as to whether my second choice of method is appropriate or not.

Most of my friends haven't had an issue, but there are a couple of us who haven't met with our tutors since december. The guidelines for meetings is 15 minutes every week.

I'm going to try and finish my dissertation using my second choice method this weekend so that I can at least get somewhere with it. If (when I eventually get hold of him) he says it's not right then at least I can say I tried.
I have to be at concert rehearsals at 4pm and then I get an hour to eat dinner and then it's back to the concert. I have basically given up doing anything today... needed a day off. I am in the process of doing a job application whilst my cookies cook though.
Meeting with supervisor for IS and today I will get a min of 4k words done (Intro/Methods) and got a piece of software from internet to help with results so really want to get it all done soon and we got an months extension for another module and seen exam questions so very happy :biggrin:
Original post by badumdumtscht
I know this might be n00by, but wtf is meant by a first order reaction?! I know how to calculate it but I just DO NOT understand the concept at all.

I haven't really done reaction kinetics since A level, but what I can remember of first order reactions is that the concentration of the reagents are proportional to the rate in a certain way. For first order reactions the rate is proportional to the concentration i.e. if you double the concentration, you doube the rate. This is deamed a first order reaction.

Have a read of this which goes back to basis of the relationship between rate equations, rates and the order of reactions.
Right, had a great Friday & Saturday but my friend has gone back home now so I need to get working again. I've figured how I can cut my cold war speech down a bit and I also need to start reading for my nuclear weapons essay.
Goal: have 3,000 more words of my dissertation my 10pm. Then move on to my Plato essay. If I do it, I'll reward myself with a Horlicks and some TV :biggrin:.
I swear my life would be soooo much easier if we still typed on typewriters instead of this social-entertainment-work centres combo that computers are. :frown:
Reply 1092
Flu :sick:

But fever seems to have broken so going to watch Upstairs Downstairs and hope that helps me get back to work :laugh:
Reply 1093
Over the word limit and I haven't even finished. Nothing unusual but I have a feeling I'll go over massively...
Right almost finished my prep for my Romantic seminar, quite good progress for me when I'm hungover. I'm going to try and do some more essay planning and then really attack it tomorrow, and go to the gym!
Original post by badumdumtscht

I done First Order reactions last semester in Kinetics.. although I can't remember a thing haha! I can dig out my notes if you want ? Or better still use Google!

P.S. Just noticed that ArcadiaHouse has been banned! :frown: Do you know if she'll be back soon? I was just about to PM her when I realised haha. I only ask cause you've posted on her wall a few times, thought mabye you'd know :ninja:
(edited 12 years ago)
Sick of this essay hanging over my head so I'm not going to sleep until it's finished. Just had a coffee, back to the grind! I'm much more motivated when it's deathly silent and still, shame I'm much more groggy too.
Got another lab report out of the way again today, minus molarities as I've managed to leave the manual the the safety sheet was in in the lab on friday :pinch: will have to research them all again now. Effort.

Need ti be up early-ish tomorrow. Having a day off working but instead going to clean this ****hole of a house before someone gets ill from it.
skipp

Hope you feel better soon sweety :hugs:
Original post by VanillaTwilight
I done First Order reactions last semester in Kinetics.. although I can't remember a thing haha! I can dig out my notes if you want ? Or better still use Google!

P.S. Just noticed that ArcadiaHouse has been banned! :frown: Do you know if she'll be back soon? I was just about to PM her when I realised haha. I only ask cause you've posted on her wall a few times, thought mabye you'd know :ninja:

Aww me and arcadia go way back. :awesome:

I tried asking a mod but got no where. :frown: I hope the ban gets lifted soon.
My plan for today is simply to wash my hair when I can get myself up out of this chair and then just read through the journal articles on nuclear weapons.

Latest

Trending

Trending