Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recommendations please? :)

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    I am using a Pentax K-r since roughly a year and am totally satisfied in any aspect (building quality, auto-focus, low light potential etc.). It was also praised in test reports, so it will definitely be no mistake. To be fair I have to mention the problems about the auto-focus experienced by some users under some rare conditions, but you will find that on Google
    I can also testify for Pentax kit being really solid and it appears to be vastly under-rated by a lot of people. The lenses are really nice and cameras like the K-r are really nice all round entry level models that will be plenty of camera when you start out. I have the K20D, which is the forerunner to the K5/K7 and absolutely love the thing and upgraded to that after having the precursor to the K-r. You can find some really great pentax film lenses reasonably cheaply.

If I were buying a new camera today, I'd make a shortlist, check out http://www.dpreview.com/ and then go to a good camera shop (NOT JESSOPS FOR GOD'S SAKE!) and have a feel and talk to the guys there. Shop around for good deals. Try the camera out in a shop before you buy it, even if you get the best deal online - how it fits in your hand and the weight are important, if you aren't comfortable with the feel of the thing then there's no point blowing £600 on it...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idris Dragon)
    I can also testify for Pentax kit being really solid and it appears to be vastly under-rated by a lot of people. The lenses are really nice and cameras like the K-r are really nice all round entry level models that will be plenty of camera when you start out. I have the K20D, which is the forerunner to the K5/K7 and absolutely love the thing and upgraded to that after having the precursor to the K-r. You can find some really great pentax film lenses reasonably cheaply.

If I were buying a new camera today, I'd make a shortlist, check out http://www.dpreview.com/ and then go to a good camera shop (NOT JESSOPS FOR GOD'S SAKE!) and have a feel and talk to the guys there. Shop around for good deals. Try the camera out in a shop before you buy it, even if you get the best deal online - how it fits in your hand and the weight are important, if you aren't comfortable with the feel of the thing then there's no point blowing £600 on it...
    I'm a pentaxian too XD yer k-r all the way, with the limiteds also such as the da70 and da40mm (pancakes yummy). Then legends like the fa31,43 and 77 ltds make it a great system. On top of that, Ricoh are expected to pump a lot more money into pentax as they are a bigger company vs Hoya who used to own it. I want a k5 though... AND A FULL FRAME PENTAX FULL FRAME PLEASE !!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evening sunrise)
    I would recommend second hand D90 or D5000. The sensor is very good, not too many megapixels. Frame rate reasonable. The D5000 is small and ideal for street photography or candid shots as there is less chance of the subject becoming aware of you, the tilting LCD screen is also useful in this scenario as you can shoot from the hip, keeping the camera relatively out of sight. That tilted screen and from the hip approach worked well for my daughter at a family wedding. Lenses are trickier because investing in good lenses is excellent advice, but with an initial starting budget such as yours one has to get something to get you up and running. So I would suggest an 18-105 VR, which will work on both, and is stabilised.

The D90 has an internal focus motor, the D5000 does not. This is a factor if you already own a collection of older lenses or want to borrow the same of people you know. It also used to be an issue when the third party lens manufacturers did not put motors in their lenses, but Sigma and Tamron now have motors, and Leicas and Zeiss tend to be manual focus only anyway. The exception would be Tokina which would autofocus on a D90 and would not on a D5000.

My question would be what have you used thus far and why do you think an SLR is the right option ? I find it sad when folks get an SLR and cannot come close to the zoom range they had previously, or that there friends still have and then they are very disappointed and the SLR falls into disuse and sometimes such individuals get lost to photography full stop.

Some heavily compressed snaps in my gallery, a few with a D90, some with a 4.1 mp cybershot compact but most with my own cameras. My wife now has the D90 and a D5000, our daughter also has a D5000.
    pentax kr has as newer version of the same sensor. d5000 has no AF drive, pentax does... but then I would probably take a d90 for the sake of weather sealing. As far as lenses go, with pentax you can mount any k-mount in history (I use a fantastic old 50mm f1.7 from the 70s) and then you have the limited da 15,21,35,40 and 70... not to mention Fa 31,43, and 77s. But then they all cost an arm and a leg so not interesting to op..

I would wake for pentax KZ, it'll use the nikon 16mp sensor (which is actually sony) and will most likely try to beat the d5100 on price (lke the kx did with the d5000)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaza01)
    I'm a pentaxian too XD yer k-r all the way, with the limiteds also such as the da70 and da40mm (pancakes yummy). Then legends like the fa31,43 and 77 ltds make it a great system. On top of that, Ricoh are expected to pump a lot more money into pentax as they are a bigger company vs Hoya who used to own it. I want a k5 though... AND A FULL FRAME PENTAX FULL FRAME PLEASE !!
    Ok, off topic for the thread, but if you want to go better than full frame and have a serious chunk of money to throw at a camera, check out the Pentax 645D

http://www.dpreview.com/products/pen...rs/pentax_645d
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, off topic for the thread, but if you want to go better than full frame and have a serious chunk of money to throw at a camera, check out the Pentax 645D

lol, yer I know, but after kodak went into administration (and they make the sensor for it...) meh I dunno . I would look at a 645n and then get some 645 manual lenses for it. I have an old ME super also but have never developed my own film- that's something I would want to get to grips with if I strolled into the world of medium format. Pentax forums made a April fool's joke, announcing the pentax k-3 full frame... I was so pleased (as were many) and then realised . However, rumours are circulating that pentax are set to announce a full frame body with a 24mp sony sensor, whether that happens or not is another question... Are you a member of pentaxforums? great place: they have a database with just about every k mount lenses ever made on it, complete with user reviews etc... http://www.pentaxforums.com/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocoPop)
    Yeah, larger sensors offer shallower depth of field for a given f-stop. However, there are some benefits to a smaller sensor.

For example, the Canon 7D has an APS-C sensor with a crop factor of 1.6. It also has a resolution of 21MP versus the 5D MKIII's full frame sensor with 22MP resolution. This has some advantages, especially for sports photographers who use telephoto lenses. They can get a much higher equivalent focal length for a given lens (a 300mm lens on the 5D would translate to an equivalent 480mm on the 7D). The 7D would also be able to pack in many more pixels into that space, because the 5D would have to zoom in quite a bit to get to 480mm, losing out on resolution.

By the same logic, landscape photographers would opt for the 5D, as they're more interested in wide-angle shots.

For the OP, I would recommend a Canon 1100D. It's a great entry level DSLR with all the capabilities you need (including video) at an affordable price.
    sorry I thought u meant 1.3x apsh for some strange reason....ignore me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Or the Hasselblad H4D. Holy mother of all mothers:
    http://www.dalephotographic.co.uk/ma...%20H4D%20200MS
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocoPop)
    Or the Hasselblad H4D. Holy mother of all mothers:
    http://www.dalephotographic.co.uk/ma...%20H4D%20200MS
    yum, nice little walk around camera Do Hasselblad use zeiss or am I wrong?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaza01)
    pentax kr has as newer version of the same sensor. d5000 has no AF drive, pentax does... but then I would probably take a d90 for the sake of weather sealing. As far as lenses go, with pentax you can mount any k-mount in history (I use a fantastic old 50mm f1.7 from the 70s) and then you have the limited da 15,21,35,40 and 70... not to mention Fa 31,43, and 77s. But then they all cost an arm and a leg so not interesting to op..

I would wake for pentax KZ, it'll use the nikon 16mp sensor (which is actually sony) and will most likely try to beat the d5100 on price (lke the kx did with the d5000)
    Thanks for the low down on the cameras. We have 2 D5000s, 1 D90, 1 D7000 and a D300S (although that will go when its replacement is announced) and hence are familiar with their specifications and capabilities.
    If your going to post then factual correctness is important, firstly there is no such thing as weather sealing, it is marketing spin, there is environmental sealing, this is claimed for metal bodies, this is because the use of metal dictates the use of gaskets, the environmental performance envelope limits as stated in the manuals is exactly the same for the D5000 as it is for the D300S, i.e. humidity, temperature, and Do Not Get It Wet. Hence the D90 does not have and is not claimed to have environmental sealing.

The absence of an autofocus motor in the D5000 is indeed an asset keeping the body small, and therefore very suitable for certain types of photography. Of the umpteen lenses we have here only one requires an in body motor, which is my 200 2.8. Sigma and Tamron also now make many lenses that do not require an internal body motor, the notable exception being Tokina, but not of interest because 11-16 is too limited and 2.8 is not needed at that limited focal length range. You can mount any F mount lense on a D5000, but of course you have to use manual focus on the older lenses but..........

Screw drive is noisy, again not ideal for many forms of photography and slow unless the body motor has significant umph. Which is why I mount that 200 2.8 on the D300S, rather than the D90 or D7000. So for anyone starting out today I advise ignoring the presence of an in body motor or not, there are enough good quality SWM, HSM and USD lenses out there to drain their bank account for decades to come, if they get really flush they can always go Leica or Zeiss which are manual focus whatever body. Whether the poster should wait for the K-Z is not something I can endorse or refute, but the D3200 and D7100 will be out this year as Nikon will have moved on from the D7000 sensor, awsome though it is in terms of dynamic range at <= ISO 400.

I suggest however that you reply to the Op stating the features that suit their intended photography covering things such as buffer size, focus system, bracketing range, FPS, and numerous others related to the posters intended use and of course budget.

I shot Minolta SLRs from 1971 until 2007, but alas they are no more, and as a protest at their demise I switched to Nikon and gave away, to my dad, both bodies and all the lenses and teleconverters. I suspect I am about to become committed to Nikon for life, primarily as my 300 2.8 VR and aspherical 2 x converter are due to arrive in the next two weeks, and glass is what manfuacturers use to keep you loyal, a critical point as manufacturers leapfrog each other in terms of sensors and bodies . I cannot wait to stick a Nikon V1, with its 2.7 crop factor behind that set-up, and my Sigma 150-500 OS, loose head tripod rather than handheld of course
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evening sunrise)
    Thanks for the low down on the cameras. We have 2 D5000s, 1 D90, 1 D7000 and a D300S (although that will go when its replacement is announced) and hence are familiar with their specifications and capabilities.
    If your going to post then factual correctness is important, firstly there is no such thing as weather sealing, it is marketing spin, there is environmental sealing, this is claimed for metal bodies, this is because the use of metal dictates the use of gaskets, the environmental performance envelope limits as stated in the manuals is exactly the same for the D5000 as it is for the D300S, i.e. humidity, temperature, and Do Not Get It Wet. Hence the D90 does not have and is not claimed to have environmental sealing.

The absence of an autofocus motor in the D5000 is indeed an asset keeping the body small, and therefore very suitable for certain types of photography. Of the umpteen lenses we have here only one requires an in body motor, which is my 200 2.8. Sigma and Tamron also now make many lenses that do not require an internal body motor, the notable exception being Tokina, but not of interest because 11-16 is too limited and 2.8 is not needed at that limited focal length range. You can mount any F mount lense on a D5000, but of course you have to use manual focus on the older lenses but..........

Screw drive is noisy, again not ideal for many forms of photography and slow unless the body motor has significant umph. Which is why I mount that 200 2.8 on the D300S, rather than the D90 or D7000. So for anyone starting out today I advise ignoring the presence of an in body motor or not, there are enough good quality SWM, HSM and USD lenses out there to drain their bank account for decades to come, if they get really flush they can always go Leica or Zeiss which are manual focus whatever body. Whether the poster should wait for the K-Z is not something I can endorse or refute, but the D3200 and D7100 will be out this year as Nikon will have moved on from the D7000 sensor, awsome though it is in terms of dynamic range at <= ISO 400.

I suggest however that you reply to the Op stating the features that suit their intended photography covering things such as buffer size, focus system, bracketing range, FPS, and numerous others related to the posters intended use and of course budget.

I shot Minolta SLRs from 1971 until 2007, but alas they are no more, and as a protest at their demise I switched to Nikon and gave away, to my dad, both bodies and all the lenses and teleconverters. I suspect I am about to become committed to Nikon for life, primarily as my 300 2.8 VR and aspherical 2 x converter are due to arrive in the next two weeks, and glass is what manfuacturers use to keep you loyal, a critical point as manufacturers leapfrog each other in terms of sensors and bodies . I cannot wait to stick a Nikon V1, with its 2.7 crop factor behind that set-up, and my Sigma 150-500 OS, loose head tripod rather than handheld of course
    (i) sorry I did not mean to start into some kind of camera debate.... I think you thought I was flashing [limited] photographic knowledge about in a pretentious fashion, this I did not mean to do. I like nikon and if pentax never bring out a Fullframe, would go for one (prefer to canons). d90 I believe was plastic vs mag alloy d7000 (am I right?), and when I refer to weather sealing, I refer to the marketing term, not the definition. Besides, a camera is never 'weather sealed' without a 'weather sealed' lens ( pentax make them ).
    as for the V1, what is the advantage of 2.7 crop factor vs cropping a fullframe image? (with the bigger sensor you'd retain the DR etc (as you obviously are aware)) Is it the AF or something? (I am not implying that there is no advantage, just literally don't know).. Yer shame about minolta...Sony only support the minolta AF mount right? was looking at the MC Minolta Rokkor PG 50mm F1.4 the other day, shame to lose nice glass like that. BUT then, of course, a clear advantage of the V1 (shorter registration distance!) You could put on that minolta glass back on with an adapter if you were prepared to stomach the 2.7 times higher FOV.
    The main attraction to PENTAX would have been (for a first time buyer) the prospect of buying an entire lens collection for peanuts off ebay (if they were prepared to use manual focus) but alas, prices have skyrocketed. Moreover, pentax atm is only offering da 35mm and soon da 50mm for cheap primes whereas canon/nikon already have 50mm f1.8 or whatever it is for peanuts to get the OP going.
    I had my dad's pentax lenses, so for me, K mount was a no brainer.
    As for AF, I see your point, and sigma don't bother putting hsm motor in pentax mount lenses, perhaps due to the in built motor..that's probably not a good thing. my sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 has no such motor vs nikon/canon/sony counterparts... But then it's landscape, it's not exactly street photography so I dont care about noise.
    Depressing time for pentax unless ricoh genuinely resurrect it. the K01 was under development in the hoya days, so hopefully ricoh will be more in tune with the consumer (some kind of retractable k-mount mirrorless would be jazzy). Pentax have just raised their lens prices by 15-90% which is mad. The limiteds are the only reason to buy pentax, but then a NEX would be a better way to stay compact :'(.
    What are your thoughts on the likely 24mp successor to the 16mp? It's high iso certainly isnt as good, though it maybe if photo is given equivalent pixel density when comparing...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.