The Student Room Group

Any of you done an a-level in a 'less common' language?

Scroll to see replies

A few friends of mine are doing Russian.
And I know a few people doing Japanese, but I don't know if it's common or not.
Does Latin count? It is a 'dead' language and not very popular nowadays.
Reply 22
Original post by TattyBoJangles
She first came to England when we were in Year 3, but has moved to Russia and back twice since then :lol: Her mum also only speaks to her in Russian, and as a consequence her little sister (who's never lived in Russia) is bilingual. Lucky little thing.

Ah, I've forgotten most of my GCSE German :frown: Definitely want to pick it - and another language - up again at some point.

Ohh wow lol so I guess switching between Russian and English is just natural to her :wink: and yeah that's very lucky! though do you think she'll be able to read/write in russian when she's older? the whole alphabet seems quite confusing to my eyes :tongue: and awh that tends to happen lol you should find that when you start re-learning some German a lot of what you previously learned will come back to you...it's still in your head somewhere! :biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
A few friends of mine are doing Russian.
And I know a few people doing Japanese, but I don't know if it's common or not.

Well Russian seems to be getting increasingly populair! Are these friends natives btw or did they pick the language up from scratch? I respect anyone who's learned those languages! :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by Romanorum-Hellas

Judging by the looks I get when I say I'm studying it as part of an Ancient History degree, I'd say it does count.

My favourite response thus far has to be 'But people doing History don't learn Old English...?' And my response is generally one of laughter and 'You wouldn't understand dear.'
Reply 25

Haha let's throw the ancient languages into this thread as well!:tongue: I always wonderd what studying latin/classical greek would be like?
What were your reasons for picking Latin? :p:)
Original post by skunky x
Judging by the looks I get when I say I'm studying it as part of an Ancient History degree, I'd say it does count.

My favourite response thus far has to be 'But people doing History don't learn Old English...?' And my response is generally one of laughter and 'You wouldn't understand dear.'

*waves Latin flag*

That's such a ridiculous response it made me laugh! I just get various people telling me I'm studing a "dead language" which has "no relevance today" :rolleyes: and is "useless". It's even more bizarre when it's from people studying A-level History (and some who want to do it at uni) who don't see that someone somewhere must have translated all those medieval documents we read. Possibly even a historian!

Not sure it does count though as I can't fluently speak it, obviously. Getting better at English to Latin prose composition though. :colondollar:
Reply 27

But why exactly is Latin such an important component of ancient history? I know it's the mother of many languages and lots of ancient texts are written in latin *Et cetera* :wink: but why is it so important to learn the ''dead'' language today??
Original post by thatitootoo
Haha let's throw the ancient languages into this thread as well!:tongue: I always wonderd what studying latin/classical greek would be like?
What were your reasons for picking Latin? :p:)

Well, I studied A-Level Latin books in my spare time but never bothered to acquire a qualification in it. To put it straight: studying Latin makes you good at solving crosswords and puzzles. The language is beautiful and still retains its sense of imperial awe but I have not learned much day-to-day conversation in the language. I wish I had the option of Classical Greek in school :frown:

I chose to study Latin because, as a history student, I would like to read historical sources from the Roman Empire and Middle Ages. I also thought in my naivety that scholars still speak Latin :colondollar:
But why exactly is Latin such an important component of ancient history? I know it's the mother of many languages and lots of ancient texts are written in latin *Et cetera* :wink: but why is it so important to learn the ''dead'' language today??

If you are a Catholic, classicist, poet or capable linguist.
Reply 30
Original post by SixteenHundred
*waves Latin flag*

That's such a ridiculous response it made me laugh! I just get various people telling me I'm studing a "dead language" which has "no relevance today" :rolleyes: and is "useless". It's even more bizarre when it's from people studying A-level History (and some who want to do it at uni) who don't see that someone somewhere must have translated all those medieval documents we read. Possibly even a historian!

Not sure it does count though as I can't fluently speak it, obviously. Getting better at English to Latin prose composition though. :colondollar:

I get that too but oh well. I've only just started so am awful. Finishing my first year of it and it's definitely tough!

The problem with Latin is that the words have a lot more depth than the English translations give. For example pius is often translated as pious, which is fine, but the English simpler means a religious sense as opposed to the Latin which is more about duty to Rome and religion.

And as romanorum-hellas said it makes for some stunning pub quiz and crossword moments.
Reply 31
I did ancient Greek gcse :smile: chose it because I love problem solving and that sort of thing plus, the teacher was one of those where you learned something obscure every lesson and I liked sitting in a class not having to do much. It's hard- the grammar is soo tough but it's actually beautiful as a language and I'm so proud I can read another alphabet, even if I have forgotten all the vocab. Was also a good 'unique' selling point when I went to interviews as no normal potential medic would put themselves through a dead language in a funny alphabet :smile: And all the derivatives proved really useful actually.
Well, I studied A-Level Latin books in my spare time but never bothered to acquire a qualification in it. To put it straight: studying Latin makes you good at solving crosswords and puzzles. The language is beautiful and still retains its sense of imperial awe but I have not learned much day-to-day conversation in the language. I wish I had the option of Classical Greek in school :frown:

I chose to study Latin because, as a history student, I would like to read historical sources from the Roman Empire and Middle Ages. I also thought in my naivety that scholars still speak Latin :colondollar:

It would actually be amazing if scholars still spoke Latin.

I did Classical Greek for GCSE (in a class of three - it's dying out at my school) and it's not as difficult to pick up as all that! It's much more fluid that Latin - more like English in construction, actually - and once you get used to the alphabet it can be easier to translate, especially in prose. Having said that, Homer's verse pretty much dumbfounded me.

My teacher ran evening classes for adults in her spare time, anyway. It's never too late. :smile:

I get that too but oh well. I've only just started so am awful. Finishing my first year of it and it's definitely tough!

And as romanorum-hellas said it makes for some stunning pub quiz and crossword moments.

Yeah, I find prose composition difficult but it's the most enjoyable part of the subject for me! I'd love to get to the point where Latin's actually used in my History (possible applicant 2013 here, I'm only Year 12). My teacher gave out some Latin excerpts from a medieval poem the other day on the bottom of an unrelated worksheet, but looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for a copy of the translation to check!

And yes, Latin grants amazing crossword skills.
Reply 33

Now that alone is good enough a reason to pursue Latin...:tongue: ahh double meanings you said? Hmm I knew some of the things written in the bible were just mistranslation of the real thangg! :rolleyes:
Reply 34

Yeah, I find prose composition difficult but it's the most enjoyable part of the subject for me! I'd love to get to the point where Latin's actually used in my History (possible applicant 2013 here, I'm only Year 12). My teacher gave out some Latin excerpts from a medieval poem the other day on the bottom of an unrelated worksheet, but looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for a copy of the translation to check!

Ew, medieval... That scares me even more than the normal latin!

Now that alone is good enough a reason to pursue Latin...:tongue: ahh double meanings you said? Hmm I knew some of the things written in the bible were just mistranslation of the real thangg! :rolleyes:

It's not even a double meaning, just a bigger/deeper meaning than the English word suggests. It's hard to explain if you don't know the Romans...
Reply 35
Original post by SimplyEccentric
Employers view languages as great but as Modern Hebrew is his first-tongue, most universities wouldn't accept it as an A-level in it's own right. It's rather unfair, really, when they accept English natives studying English Language :rolleyes:

English Language A-level is not the English equivalent of Modern Hebrew A-level. They're completely different things. You're thinking of an A-level in English as a Second Language. Not sure whether it exists - there are plenty of tests of English language ability for non-natives around.

Edit: On another note, I would like to be able to do Danish GCSE/A-level but neither exist. Pffff.
(edited 12 years ago)
It would actually be amazing if scholars still spoke Latin.

I did Classical Greek for GCSE (in a class of three - it's dying out at my school) and it's not as difficult to pick up as all that! It's much more fluid that Latin - more like English in construction, actually - and once you get used to the alphabet it can be easier to translate, especially in prose. Having said that, Homer's verse pretty much dumbfounded me.

My teacher ran evening classes for adults in her spare time, anyway. It's never too late. :smile:

Ah, interesting! So, are there any big differences between Biblical Greek and Classical Greek?

Yeah, that is true. The Latin translation of the Bible was laughably inaccurate. People forget that Biblical Hebrew was a language deeply imbued with philosophy, just like Mandarin which is at least 4,000 years old. Word-for-word translation is a recipe for chaos when studying ancient tongues.
Well Russian seems to be getting increasingly populair! Are these friends natives btw or did they pick the language up from scratch? I respect anyone who's learned those languages! :tongue:

One of them is semi-native (in that she's from Estonia, and the languages are fairly similar in pronunciation and some of the words are the same) and the other was a complete beginner who's on track for an A*. I think our school has about five people studying it, only the one of them's native-ish.
Reply 39
Original post by Ronove
English Language A-level is not the English equivalent of Modern Hebrew A-level. They're completely different things. You're thinking of an A-level in English as a Second Language. Not sure whether it exists - there are plenty of tests of English language ability for non-natives around.

Edit: On another note, I would like to be able to do Danish GCSE/A-level but neither exist. Pffff.

This! BTW, do you think modern and biblical Hebrew are somewhat mutually intelligible?? or are they like english and old english? lol

Haa Danish as an MFL would be sick!:tongue: But I guess there aren't enough people who speak scandinavian languages in the UK:frown: Though If they made Norwegian/Swedish an MFL I'd still be all over that...:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending