The Student Room Group

Any of you done an a-level in a 'less common' language?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ronove
I took the AS and A2 exams at the same time.
If you do your exams through the school you're not a private candidate, so I wasn't a private candidate. The school just put on some extra exams for me. I was still officially taking my exams through school.

If you do exams as a private candidate you'll have to find a centre (school/college/private testing centre) that holds the Japanese exams. That might be very difficult depending on where you're living as it's not a commonly taken exam. You'll have to pay for each unit you do, with the cost per unit varying from the ~£15 per unit it officially costs to £100+ per unit that many places demand from private candidates, just because they can.

Edit: If it's a subject that requires coursework you will also need to do things slightly differently. There are organisations that offer A-levels via distance learning. Some coursework subjects can be done through these (eg A-level Biology) because they use work submission and phone contact to verify your coursework. If you don't need anything else they provide for the cost, though, this is a very expensive route. And it's pretty much the only route for a coursework subject. Thankfully languages aren't usually coursework subjects. There's just the issue of finding somewhere that holds the speaking exams.

You must have been really good at Spanish to take both AS and A2 exam in year 13. I was very confused about the coursework stuff and after reading your advice, i was like "phewwww.. What a relief!". So if I take A-level Japanese, I'll only need to sit an exam for each unit at the testing centre right? And the speaking test too. Thanks a lot:pal2:
Original post by thatitootoo
If so..was this A-level in your mother tongue?
& What grade did you get??

I'm doing an A-level in Dutch which is my 2nd to native language...though I'm by no means fluent :rolleyes:

I did A level Dutch!!!!!! But its not my mother tongue I learnt it myself.

I got an A in AS, and intended to leave it there. My school entered me for the A2 though even though I hadn't studied any all year but I thought may as well do it, but I only ended up with a B cos of that.

I thought it was really hard though, way harder than A level French (despite the fact I speak Dutch a lot better!), I think maybe they write it with people who have it as their native tongue in mind.
Original post by Folks
I'm doing an A Level in Japanese and it's not my mother tongue.

Hi I am also planning to take A level Japanese too. Do your school offer A level Japanese? It is quite a 'rare' language :biggrin:
:lol: yeah that's probably why :wink: And well it's all about how much work you think you can handle & How much your college believes in you! :P In september I'll start German, Geography & Business x 2 & Dutch (if I screw up this year) :rolleyes:

I think taking Geography would make your life at college just a bit more bareable tbh! :wink: :P

It seems like you have a flair for languages. How many languages do you know ( or can use). Let me try: English, Dutch, German ( Did you learn German GCSE?), ermmm sorry but what is your mother tongue? Hahaha this is so funny. :bban:
Reply 104
Original post by ilovelily2006
You must have been really good at Spanish to take both AS and A2 exam in year 13. I was very confused about the coursework stuff and after reading your advice, i was like "phewwww.. What a relief!". So if I take A-level Japanese, I'll only need to sit an exam for each unit at the testing centre right? And the speaking test too. Thanks a lot:pal2:

You may have already looked at this since it's the only A-level in Japanese I can see at first glance, but the syllabus you can download on this page has an appendix with all the kanji you are expected to know at various stages of GCSE/AS/A2. http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/uppersec/alevel/subject?assdef_id=790
Oh you are my first friend :biggrin: . I'm from Vietnam. I am planning to take Maths, Further Maths, Economics, and another language ^^. I love English, but my Japanese is so so ( I have just taken the N3 test, wonder if you know it or not haha). Everything about the UK and A-level seems very new to me. From what you said, I need to have GCSE French in order to start A-level French? And this is the first time I've heard of "private candidate" *Google quickly*:colone: Thanks a lot for your advice. Are you studying A-level too?

Hiya, I do Japanese at uni, I think N3 is around A level standard (I take it you passed?) So if you just make sure you know everything on the syllabus, yeah just enter as a private candidate!
Reply 106
It seems like you have a flair for languages. How many languages do you know ( or can use). Let me try: English, Dutch, German ( Did you learn German GCSE?), ermmm sorry but what is your mother tongue? Hahaha this is so funny. :bban:

Ooh I wanna play! In descending order of ability (and trust me, the ones at the end are pretty terrible now!): English, German, Danish, Spanish, French, Catalan :biggrin:
wow this is the first time I've heard of a Punjabi A-level! I'm guessing your parents are fluent Punjabi speakers...:rolleyes: Have you ever lived in a Punjabi speaking country? It seems like a really hard exam to do for a non-native...:redface:

yeah my mothertongue is punjabi so im fluent...but my excuse is that i did the exam while i was still at primary...
not many people do punjabi to a level - i think i was the only person in the room when i did mine!
and yeah ive been to india a few times, but not lived there for years or anything
80? huh I thought the AS was out of 160??
Full marks huh :cool: that's pretty good, even for a native speaker...as the 40 mark essay question at the end can pretty much be about anythinng :rolleyes:
How long have you lived in the UK?

I've lived here for 2.5 years now... my college offered dutch as a speaker and that teacher is now teaching german. She told me to write much more in order to gain marks for understanding and application. It isn't too hard when you're a native speaker actually.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 109
Ahh I see...:smile: and ohh yess it is indeed! I believe even Dutch is more commonly spoken in Aruba! :lol:

Only in academic and formal settings. Arubans are very fond of their mother tongue. The schooling system is completely in Dutch though, their 2nd language.
(American) English is typically their 3rd and (Venezuelan) Spanish their 4th, all to fluency. Many add a 5th and 6th.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Folks
I'm doing an A Level in Japanese and it's not my mother tongue.

WOoW. How are you finding it so far? Also, how long have you been learning Japanese??:eek:
Hmm judging by the responces so far, Russian is definately the most common - less common language of choice! :lol: So did you start learning Russian from year 10 or did you cover some russian before? :smile:

Actually, I'm doing it as a one year course that ends with a GCSE in year 12. :smile: (but I did do a year of beginners at brasshouse language centre. :tongue:)
Original post by Ronove
My school offered French and German, not Spanish. I did Spanish via one of my French teachers helping me with it once or twice a week after school during Year 11. I didn't take it further during Year 12 and realised how much I missed it, so decided to take on the A-level by myself. Languages at A-level really aren't difficult if you're any good at languages already and you really care about the language you're trying to pick up. Especially when you're doing two other foreign language A-levels on the same exam board at the same time. You know what you need to cover and how good you need to be. I found that just reading a couple of news articles in the language online a few times a week for a while made my vocab and fluency shoot right up. It's all about putting in a little of your own time. Find a radio station, a newspaper and subtitled films in the language and you're set. I've just always been able to absorb stuff. I had some periods at uni where I couldn't absorb anything and noticed as much, I think it may have been due to medication or illness though.

Thank you!! I'm a lot less anxious about completely failing German next year, thanks to your post! :biggrin: So I'm guessing you had to go over the basic (gcse material) when you first started? But your doing it by yourself now??:redface: How are you going to arrange for the Speaking exams? Or is your school sorting it out for you?? So is there anything else your studying besides German, French & Spanish? :tongue: What board are you on btw? And definately, extra things like reading newspapers / listening to music in your target language, really help..I also try thinking in the language, but that naturally doesn't last :frown: Do you manage to think in German/French/Spanish throughout the day? :lol: I'll definately do that for German :smile: That's the thing I like about the more common languages...Learning resources are EVERYWHERE! :tongue:

Ohh w8..you're at uni? Ohh :colondollar: I thought you were in yr13..my bad :tongue: May I ask for your final grade in each respective language please & what linguistic degree youre studying now?:rolleyes:
Ohh that happens to me without reason! :L Hope all is going well with you now though :smile:
Original post by effofex
en de Fries taal?

omg en dat zeker niet! Maar ik heb een teidje in Rotterdam gewoond hoor! :tongue:
Spreek jij de Fries taal? :lol:
Original post by Dominicque
Actually, I'm doing it as a one year course that ends with a GCSE in year 12. :smile: (but I did do a year of beginners at brasshouse language centre. :tongue:)

Ohh i see...:tongue: What grade are you predicted anyway?? && Would you consider taking the AS in yr13?

Haha vielen dank! :wink: ..I'm only covering the very basics of German atm :smile: :lol: you wouldn't know my mother tongue even if I told you!:rolleyes: It's referred to as 'Bini language' :cool: :tongue:
Original post by Mequa
Only in academic and formal settings. Arubans are very fond of their mother tongue. The schooling system is completely in Dutch though, their 2nd language.
(American) English is typically their 3rd and (Venezuelan) Spanish their 4th, all to fluency. Many add a 5th and 6th.

:O These Aruban folks make TSRians look average!...:lol:
Original post by Mequa

Jesus.

Reply 118
omg en dat zeker niet! Maar ik heb een teidje in Rotterdam gewoond hoor! :tongue:
Spreek jij de Fries taal? :lol:

Nee - ik spreek geen Fries, maar ik ken een Friese vrouw met mooie haar.

Hou je van wonen in Verenigde Koninkrijk? Alles gezellig?
I did A level Dutch!!!!!! But its not my mother tongue I learnt it myself.

I got an A in AS, and intended to leave it there. My school entered me for the A2 though even though I hadn't studied any all year but I thought may as well do it, but I only ended up with a B cos of that.

I thought it was really hard though, way harder than A level French (despite the fact I speak Dutch a lot better!), I think maybe they write it with people who have it as their native tongue in mind.

:danceboy:[ If you csn do it...(I hope) I can do it too :wink: Wha yu sayin?? a B in a language you learned by yourself from scratch is GREAT!! :lol:
Did you do the old spec or new exam? And I know what you mean! The essay questions especially are VERY thought provoking! :tongue: and without knowledge of the content...one would fail...zeer ongelukkiig! :rolleyes: and that's what I think..or maybe they make it harder to compensate for the fact that there isn't one of those scary oral exams :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending