Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any of you done an a-level in a 'less common' language?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mequa)
    Oh the subject of less common languages, Arubans have a nice insult in Papiamento:
    "Bai den conjo di bo mama."

You may have to search Google for the translation though as it's a bit on the rude side. :eek:
    Making an educated guess with my Spanish, without giving too much away, does that insult tell you to go er... back somewhere you originally came from?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Making an educated guess with my Spanish, without giving too much away, does that insult tell you to go er... back somewhere you originally came from?
    Spot on. That's exactly what it implies.

I also found out recently that Romanians have an insult with identical meaning and implication: "Dute-n pizda matii!" :eek:

Edit: There is also an extremely similar one in Afrikaans: "Gaan klim terug in jou ma se poes" (actually saying "climb back in" rather than "go into", but otherwise identical)...
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    omg, I completely forgot about this thread!
    How are your exams going people??
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Russian exams were easier then I though, especially reading. PISS. EASY. One question was even in English, you didn't even have needed to know Russian, just make an educated guess!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusty12)
    Well, I suppose Welsh counts. I got an A at AS, but I find that the papers are simply more difficult than my other subjects. I think subjects that few people choose are often more challenging. :dontknow:
    I agree, at gcse welsh have a novel to read, 5 extra pieces of coursework and a written paper, compared to french which has about 2 pieces of c/w and a short reading and listening, which welsh has too. But they're still recognised as the same difficulty.seeing as the french as oral was 10 minutes, and the welsh was 45 mins at as, this seems to be a reccuring matter.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    My school offered Urdu, Arabic, Turkish, Greek and Punjabi, Polish and Portuguese.

My previous school offered Greek (for a short time) and Japanese.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    I plan to one day teach myself French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Ibo (my parents' language).

Then maybe Japanese (I nearly studied it but had to move schools) and Korean.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did AS Arabic
    • 117 followers

ReputationRep:
    English
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really want to take a GCSE in Welsh, but here in England I'm not sure if that can be done without having to actually go to Wales to do the speaking exam.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominicque)
    Russian exams were easier then I though, especially reading. PISS. EASY. One question was even in English, you didn't even have needed to know Russian, just make an educated guess!
    I'm just completely jel now. I've just done my A2 Dutch exam and that was anything but piss...Though what you described seems to be my experience of AS Dutch two weeks ago! Surely you're on about the AS exam right!?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoheart)
    I agree, at gcse welsh have a novel to read, 5 extra pieces of coursework and a written paper, compared to french which has about 2 pieces of c/w and a short reading and listening, which welsh has too. But they're still recognised as the same difficulty.seeing as the french as oral was 10 minutes, and the welsh was 45 mins at as, this seems to be a reccuring matter.
    Now that's just plainly unfair! The welsh qualification seems more like the equivalent of English lit than a foreign language! Oh w8, are you on about the 'Welsh as a First language' qualification? That would explain the greater demand...
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    My school offered Urdu, Arabic, Turkish, Greek and Punjabi, Polish and Portuguese.

My previous school offered Greek (for a short time) and Japanese.
    Now & where you be going school' !?
    Or better even...where these people in your school be coming from?
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would latin be included as a language??
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    I plan to one day teach myself French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Ibo (my parents' language).

Then maybe Japanese (I nearly studied it but had to move schools) and Korean.
    Much of a language fanatic? Didn't you do French for GCSE?
    Igbo? Are you on about the language spoken in some parts of Nigeria?
    It seems like a hard language to get resources for, but i suppose you've got 2 live resources available to you..in your case
    Any particular reason for wanting to learn Jap/Kor?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sui-Kinxtar_kitty)
    Would latin be included as a language??
    Yes, there's been a few references as to why it should..earlier on in the thread :lol: So i'm guessing you're studying it for A-level?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantmeowage)
    I really want to take a GCSE in Welsh, but here in England I'm not sure if that can be done without having to actually go to Wales to do the speaking exam.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Welsh seems like an interesting language to me too I kind of like the peculiarity of the Celtic languages...I sometimes wonder what the language of modern day England would sound like...if it hadn't been linguistically raped so many times...:P
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    English
    There is an English as a foreign language A-level available?
    :banana2: WHY HAVN'T I BEEN MADE AWARE OF THISSSSSSSSSS?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    I did AS Arabic
    Did you only just sit it? How did you find the exam & what grade did you (hope) to get?
    • 117 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    There is an English as a foreign language A-level available?
    :banana2: WHY HAVN'T I BEEN MADE AWARE OF THISSSSSSSSSS?
    no there isn't I just said Eglish as I do no "other" language.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 14, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.