Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Body Fat Percentage

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16, 5'11 and 70kg. Looking at these 2 pictures what do you think my body fat percentage is?
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loz bb 2.jpg 
Views:	1187 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	118105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loz bb 1.jpg 
Views:	1084 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	118106  
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hard to tell, 10% maybe? better pics would be needed for a more accurate estimate
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1.5 max
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    7 or 8 I'd say
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im unsure but I reckon around 10-14%,you'd do better to use an online calc tbh.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your abs are visible, that only happens at about 10% and below. You're definitely not 14% though, I'm about 15% and nowhere near that lean.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hookguy)
    Your abs are visible, that only happens at about 10% and below. You're definitely not 14% though, I'm about 15% and nowhere near that lean.
    It depends for different people, my body fat is 15-16% and my abs are defined. I think if it were below 10% the abs would look crazily ripped (just my opinion.)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duharvalgt)
    It depends for different people, my body fat is 15-16% and my abs are defined. I think if it were below 10% the abs would look crazily ripped (just my opinion.)
    true, differs wildly for different people, I'm about 15% and you can only see my top 2 abs. Though I think its because the OP is pretty skinny there's not much muscle in the abs which is why they don't appear large.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    About 12%
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    10-12% hard to tell from those pics though
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    very poor pics, but 11-13. no lower.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Im unsure but I reckon around 10-14%,you'd do better to use an online calc tbh.
    yes, they are really accurate....

if u take a picture from camera made in the century ill be able to tell you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sconter)
    yes, they are really accurate....

if u take a picture from camera made in the century ill be able to tell you.
    at least they're more accurate than a guess from a picture...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    nope.

im pretty good at bf% estimations. and its not a guess.
    skin fold calculators are COMPLETELY inaccurate, literally may aswell add up today's lottery numbers and divide by 8, and that will come out with a number equally as accurate.the machines at the gym are also useless. BODPOD or nothing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Def need more pics, front, back, no flexing. And people should also take into account skinny =/= low body fat.

Anyway here is an example of approx 15% body fat (pics on the right):

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about that, some of the numbers those calculators throw out.....I think a guess, even from a totally clueless person would be more accurate!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    And here are a couple more examples of different fat percentages (both measured by DEXA scan).

12.5% body fat:

17.6% body fat:

Amazing how the difference of even just 2-3% body fat either way can have such an impact on how one's physique looks. And also goes to show that skinny does not necessarily mean a lower body fat percentage.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StressReliever)
    Not sure about that, some of the numbers those calculators throw out.....I think a guess, even from a totally clueless person would be more accurate!
    I suppose they are a little unreliable , I did an online calc about 2 months ago and it said I was about 16% bf http://www.myfitnesspal.com/duharvalgt ,(my profile pic was take around then), I had my bf% checked around the same time and I was 14.5% and that's fairly close tbh.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I suppose they are a little unreliable , I did an online calc about 2 months ago and it said I was about 16% bf http://www.myfitnesspal.com/duharvalgt ,(my profile pic was take around then), I had my bf% checked around the same time and I was 14.5% and that's fairly close tbh.
    I think you just got lucky with that calculator then, although you can see from my examples above that even the variation of just a couple of percent body fat can look VERY different.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 2, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.