The Student Room Group

65-year-old Shoots Dead Two Teenage Muggers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A level Az
I don't see what's so brave about pulling out a gun and shooting two people. All he had to do was show them the gun and tell them to get on the floor till the police arrived or he'd shoot them.

Holy ****, why am I being negged? Truth is there is nothing brave about shooting two people like the OP seems to think. What would have been brave is if he restrained himself to shoot and just scared them with the gun so that they could have been arrested.

I don't blame him for defending himself, but if we're talking about bravery and heroism then I don't see it.

yes

if you try to attack a wild animal it might kill you, and so it is with humans.

the guy is probably a veteran, how many old people do you walk past who have shot someone i wonder....its crazy

free countries should have liberal gun laws.
Is no one here questioning what on earth a 60 year old man was doing with a handgun in his pocket while going on a bicycle ride?

I'm pretty sure most people would be arrested for carrying a gun, it's sort of, frowned upon..
Original post by You Failed
Is no one here questioning what on earth a 60 year old man was doing with a handgun in his pocket while going on a bicycle ride?

I'm pretty sure most people would be arrested for carrying a gun, it's sort of, frowned upon..

Not in good ol' America :rolleyes:

Ownership and carrying of firearms has been encouraged in the US since the Second Amendment was ratified.
Original post by rockrunride
Not in good ol' America :rolleyes:

Ownership and carrying of firearms has been encouraged in the US since the Second Amendment was ratified.

Oh right, I didn't know it happened in the USA, I assumed it was a UK thing.
Original post by Snagprophet
You do realise that this is about self-defence, not going out with the intention to kill.

Is it? I'm no expert but I don't really think guns are much use in "self-defence" from random mugging incidents on the whole. Obviously it was in this case, but if anything, surely a knife is better? It's pretty hard to use a gun on someone who's jumped you - and I'd imagine (again, no expert) that in most cases a gun will be used when you have managed to put a sufficient distance between you for you to aim and fire, making it unlikely to be self-defence.

Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Because those people aren't in a situation where their life is in danger.

Or have more restraint.
Original post by callum9999
Or have more restraint.

Everyone would like to say that they have more restraint but chances are they don't. It's a fact that people tend to overestimate themselves in comparison to the average person. When you're being attacked, your first reaction is to defend yourself and fight back , when you have a gun it's going to pop up in your mind as the best tool to use hence you're going to use it. Especially, when you're a 65 year old man who probably isn't in the best of states strength-wise. It's called valuing your life over your perpetrator
Original post by A level Az
What would have been brave is if he restrained himself to shoot and just scared them with the gun so that they could have been arrested.

and you think they wouldnt have run away to go and attack someone else?

They got what they deserved.....
Reply 307
The man was too trigger happy and only need to fire a bullet straight to the legs.
Reply 308
Two of the kids assaulted the man, however during this 'vicious assault', whilst he was bleeding and being kicked and so on, he somehow initiated a force-field around himself, stood up, took his gun out and shot the two kids... no.
Original post by babygirl110
People like you are the reason the country is in the state it's in today. I mean, what hope do we have of restoring Great Britain to its former glory when we have people like you who think thugs should get away with immoral behaviour?

But they did get away with it, or atleast one of them did becaue he's dead. I think they should go to jail and I also believe in the death penalty for more serious crimes, so I'm not trying to defend them at all. All I was saying is as far as "bravery" is concerned it would have been brave it have them arrested, not to simply shoot them both.
Original post by billydisco
and you think they wouldnt have run away to go and attack someone else?

They got what they deserved.....

If he shot one or both of them in the leg then no, I don't think they would.
Reply 311
Original post by WelshBluebird
Two people died.
It has to be investigated.
That involves arrested the person who kills the people.
I take it you would rather the coppers just ignore what happened and not investigate two deaths?

The Left would have this decent man locked up for defending himself. If he had wounded those men instead of killed them, do you know where I'd have sent them after their release from hospital (after charging them for the treatment)?

Spoiler

Reply 312
Original post by Otkem
The Left would have this decent man locked up for defending himself. If he had wounded those men instead of killed them, do you know where I'd have sent them after their release from hospital (after charging them for the treatment)?

Spoiler

That should be the case, however in modern Britain they'd be down at the local courts claiming for damages and "emotional turmoil". :rolleyes:
Reply 313
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Well, in essence, in Britain, the actions of the man would be viewed as excessive - unless of course, it gets to the crown court and some intelligent and creative barrister uses his age as leverage and claims that he was elderly and really feared for his life, that he was going to die.

But in all seriousness, if it was in Britain, he would be charged at least for something or other. Not that I am agreeing that he should be charged...

Considering it's illegal to posess firearms in Britain, yes it would be considered excessive. However, ignoring that, no jury would convict this man of murder unless those boys were running away and he shot them in the back.
Reply 314
Original post by word2yamother
Killing someone for mugging you is just as stupid as getting killed by a mugger for being 'brave'. If this man has any concious this incident will probably haunt him forever, all he had to do was pull out the gun and point it at them and im sure the muggers would have backed down.

It's easy saying that now, but would you have thought that if you were om the exact same situation, fearing for your life?
You can leave your condolences for the deceased here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RIP-Julius-Johnson/341970155823533

the page has been closed so you cannot leave your tributes

Here is a clip which may help (there is an advert for the first 15 seconds):

http://www.wfmz.com/news/Shooting-victim-s-friends-speak-out/-/121458/8558762/-/4s65hx/-/index.html

Here is his picture:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
You are the cancer that is killing Britain.

*The world.
If he really had to shoot, did he have to shoot to kill?
such a waste:

the boy on the right is one of the attackers... he was shot in the neck and faces a lifetime of disability;

http://www.bctv.org/image_795ea204-69a5-11df-ac45-001cc4c002e0.html
Reply 319
2 little ****s dead?

Good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending