The Student Room Group

65-year-old Shoots Dead Two Teenage Muggers

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=361536

"A 65-year-old man shot two teens, one fatally, as they tried to rob him Wednesday morning on a trail near the Schuylkill River, police said.

The Berks County coroner's office did not release the name of the boy who was killed, saying only that he was a 16-year-old from the city. Officials said his mother asked them to give her time to notify relatives before releasing his name.

He was pronounced dead at the scene at 12:17 p.m. by Deputy Coroner Jonn M. Hollenbach. An autopsy is scheduled this afternoon in Reading Hospital.

The other teen, who was shot once, was taken to Reading Hospital. Police did not release his name. Information on his condition could not be obtained.

A third teen, identified only as a 15-year-old boy, was stopped at the scene by police and taken in for questioning. He was later committed to the county youth center in Bern Township on unspecified charges.

Authorities also did not release the name of the man, who was not charged.

Police said the shooting occurred shortly before 11 on the Thun Trail near the Schuylkill River pedestrian bridge between Reading and West Reading.

According to investigators:

The man was riding his bicycle on the trail near the Bertolet Fishing Dock at South First Avenue and Chestnut Street in West Reading.

The teens knocked the man off his bicycle, and two of them assaulted him.

The man pulled out a handgun and shot them both.

Someone flagged down a passer-by in the 200 block of Riverfront Drive near Reading Area Community College.

Within minutes officers from the city, West Reading, Cumru Township, state police and the Berks County sheriff's office were at the scene. They found the dead boy on a sliver of land that is part of Cumru at the end of the pedestrian bridge.

District Attorney John T. Adams responded with detectives from the county's forensic services unit.

After consulting with Adams, police decided to release the man and charge the juvenile."

Frankly, it's appalling that this brave, old hero was arrested at all even though he was released without charge. I'm just glad this happened in the USA and not the UK - here the brave folk who stand up for their rights and freedom to live without being assaulted, robbed and murdered are charged and thrown in prison for life with rapists and sociopaths. Good on him, for both defending himself and ridding the world of two vile scumbags - nipping their worthless lives in the bud. Cheers! :beer:

More information, provided by a forum member (thanks again kmknier) living locally to this incident:

Original post by kmknier
I live in Lancaster PA USA. The incident this board is discussing happened about 30 miles from my home. I would like to state some of the facts of what happened.

1. Only one attacker was killed. the other was shot and is expected to recover and will be charged with multiple felonies.

2. These boys were 15 and 16 years old. All have prior police records.

3. Earlier in the day the boy who was killed, Julius Johnson, had been visited by truant officers from the Reading school district, they had placed an electronic ankle monitor on him and ordered him to report to his parole officer at 4:00 PM with his parent/parents.

4. These boys had attacked and robbed two other men in the hour before this attack.

5. The attack itself consisted of punching the old man in the face to knock him off of his bike. He was then kicked in the chest by Johnson into a chain link fence. The second attacker rushed to join in the attack and it was at this time the man opened fire.

6. It is illegal to fire warning shots in Pennsylvania. You are allowed to use deadly force if you attacked.

7. The 65 year old man was licensed to carry a concealed weapon (that is legal in Pennsylvania and this incident shows the need for it). On this point I would like to point out an incident that occurred in your country last summer. Muslim merchants
were killed when the attempted to defend their property with sticks and stones from rioters who used a car to run straight into them. These merchants would have been better served by a large caliber handgun. Your laws forbid them this defense.

Some of the comments on this thread have lamented the loss of this young life. I ask this question: "Consider the future victims of the career thugs/criminals that have been spared the beatings, robbery, brain damage and death by Johnson's death?" I realize my comments may be offensive to many here but as I always say "there are no bleeding heart liberals laying on the ground being beaten to death by thugs".
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't see what's so brave about pulling out a gun and shooting two people. All he had to do was show them the gun and tell them to get on the floor till the police arrived or he'd shoot them.

Holy ****, why am I being negged? Truth is there is nothing brave about shooting two people like the OP seems to think. What would have been brave is if he restrained himself to shoot and just scared them with the gun so that they could have been arrested.

I don't blame him for defending himself, but if we're talking about bravery and heroism then I don't see it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I applaud the old man for defending himself, but I'm not celebrating the death of a young boy.

Yes, I know they tried to rob him and he brought it on himself, but that still doesn't warrant being killed.
Reply 3
Original post by A level Az
I don't see what's so brave about pulling out a gun and shooting two people. All he had to do was show them the gun and tell them to get on the floor till the police arrived or he'd shoot them.

You're an old man. Probably arthritic and coping with a multitude of other health problems that come on around sixty. Three healthy, young lads pull you off your bike and start beating you. You're panicked, fearful, and in serious danger. You could curl up in a ball and wait for the ambulance to arrive and hope they don't kill you. Or you can muster up your courage, draw your gun and make the decision that you're not going to lie back and take it. I'd call that heroic - what does he have to do for you, slay a dragon? He's a pensioner not Beowulf.

Original post by IlexBlue
I applaud the old man for defending himself, but I'm not celebrating the death of a young boy.

Yes, I know they tried to rob him and he brought it on himself, but that still doesn't warrant being killed.

What kind of people (regardless of age) throw an old man off of his bike, beat him and mug him? He probably saved the judicial system a lot of money and his community a lot of suffering.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
They had it coming, the mom of the son that got killed is probably going to be like oh he was innocent and all. Bravo to the old man, sometimes USA does have its advantages.
Reply 6
That is what happens when you start **** with random people.
Reply 7
Original post by cambio wechsel

Personally, I think all senior citizens should be armed to the teeth. :biggrin:
Good.

It isn't like it breaks my heart when one of these scumbag goes down.

Edit: Just noticed it seems only one of them died. Feels bad man.

I'm against the death penalty, but absolutely for this type of action.

The death penalty is merely revenge - this is self defence, clear and simple. If I were to serve on a jury in a trial related to such an incident I would not return a guilty verdict.

If someone attacks you and you have means by which you can protect yourself, absolutely do so. In the same position I would have acted in exactly the same way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
You're an old man. Probably arthritic and coping with a multitude of other health problems that come on around sixty. Three healthy, young lads pull you off your bike and start beating you. You're panicked, fearful, and in serious danger. You could curl up in a ball and wait for the ambulance to arrive and hope they don't kill you. Or you can muster up your courage, draw your gun and make the decision that you're not going to lie back and take it. I'd call that heroic - what does he have to do for you, slay a dragon? He's a pensioner not Beowulf.

Like I said, revealing the gun would be more than enough to get them to back off. Frankly I think it would have been braver of him to not shoot them and just have them arrested. I don't understand why you're head is so far up his arse and you feel the need to mock me; the simple fact is there is nothing brave about shooting two kids. Sure they're scum, and the world is probably a better place without them, but as far as bravery is concerned, it isn't really.

What if after he did that, they pulled out guns and shot him to death, then robbed him, then ran off, then shot several police officers before being shot themselves?

It seems more sensible to err on the side of caution by acting decisively.
Reply 11
Like I said, revealing the gun would be more than enough to get them to back off. Frankly I think it would have been braver of him to not shoot them and just have them arrested. I don't understand why you're head is so far up his arse and you feel the need to mock me; the simple fact is there is nothing brave about shooting two kids. Sure they're scum, and the world is probably a better place without them, but as far as bravery is concerned, it isn't really.

You can only point a gun in one direction. You pull and don't start blasting straight away the guy in your periphery could take out his and start shooting you. He did what was most likely to guarantee his safety - why should he have further endangered his life to protect filth like them?
Reply 12
Original post by Einheri
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=361536

"A 65-year-old man shot two teens, one fatally, as they tried to rob him Wednesday morning on a trail near the Schuylkill River, police said.

The Berks County coroner's office did not release the name of the boy who was killed, saying only that he was a 16-year-old from the city. Officials said his mother asked them to give her time to notify relatives before releasing his name.

He was pronounced dead at the scene at 12:17 p.m. by Deputy Coroner Jonn M. Hollenbach. An autopsy is scheduled this afternoon in Reading Hospital.

The other teen, who was shot once, was taken to Reading Hospital. Police did not release his name. Information on his condition could not be obtained.

A third teen, identified only as a 15-year-old boy, was stopped at the scene by police and taken in for questioning. He was later committed to the county youth center in Bern Township on unspecified charges.

Authorities also did not release the name of the man, who was not charged.

Police said the shooting occurred shortly before 11 on the Thun Trail near the Schuylkill River pedestrian bridge between Reading and West Reading.

According to investigators:

The man was riding his bicycle on the trail near the Bertolet Fishing Dock at South First Avenue and Chestnut Street in West Reading.

The teens knocked the man off his bicycle, and two of them assaulted him.

The man pulled out a handgun and shot them both.

Someone flagged down a passer-by in the 200 block of Riverfront Drive near Reading Area Community College.

Within minutes officers from the city, West Reading, Cumru Township, state police and the Berks County sheriff's office were at the scene. They found the dead boy on a sliver of land that is part of Cumru at the end of the pedestrian bridge.

District Attorney John T. Adams responded with detectives from the county's forensic services unit.

After consulting with Adams, police decided to release the man and charge the juvenile."

Frankly, it's appalling that this brave, old hero was arrested at all even though he was released without charge. I'm just glad this happened in the USA and not the UK - here the brave folk who stand up for their rights and freedom to live without being assaulted, robbed and murdered are charged and thrown in prison for life with rapists and sociopaths. Good on him, for both defending himself and ridding the world of two vile scumbags - nipping their worthless lives in the bud. Cheers! :beer:

It does not say that both of them were killed
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by the bear
It does not say that both of them were fatally killed

I misread it then. There's still time, fingers crossed, eh? :wink:
Reply 14
Well done Gramps !!
You probably served in Vietnam
Surviving the jungle nightmare
Taught you the skills
Which you displayed in
The urban jungle
To such deadly effect
Reply 15

Completely agree with you here. Showing the gun would have been a sufficient visual deterrent, there was no need to kill him.
Reply 16
Good - he was clearly acting in self defence. I find it disgusting that youths could assault an elderly man, so I don't really have a problem with what he did.
Original post by Einheri

Exactly. It's not like he sought them out; they assaulted him with intent and all he did was defend himself to the best of his abililty whilst outnumbered. Good job that man! :ahee:
Reply 18
He should definitely be charged! Self-defence must be proportionate, and pulling out the gun would surely have been enough. Actually, I think it's quite disgusting of him that he felt he had the right to take a life for getting a bit beaten up, self-defence or not
Reply 19
Original post by sclez1
He should definitely be charged! Self-defence must be proportionate, and pulling out the gun would surely have been enough. Actually, I think it's quite disgusting of him that he felt he had the right to take a life for getting a bit beaten up, self-defence or not

You are the cancer that is killing Britain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending