The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should the cane be brought back to schools?

These days in a lot of schools, kids are out of control, disrespectful and badly behaved towards teachers and other pupils, mostly because there are no repercussions for bad behaviour. Back in the old days when schools had the cane, pupils would behave better for fear of getting hit with the cane if they behaved badly.

I think the cane should be brought back. I see nothing wrong with hitting children to discipline them if they do something bad. Teachers nowadays have less and less power and control over their students, as everything is so 'politically correct' these days and they can't dish out punishments as much for fear of what may happen if they do. As a result, teachers are too soft.

So should the cane or even the slipper be brought back? I think it did no harm, it made students better behaved so I say bring it back.

Another thought: maybe the cane is too tame a punishment for kids today, so perhaps something harsher like a Chinese style 'lashing' would be a better deterrent.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

That doesn't sound like something a raving hippy would say :holmes:
Reply 2
No. :colonhash:
No.
yes
Yes.

Sugar canes! Down with diets!
Reply 6
Only if the teacher looked this.

'Should' - maybe, 'Will they'- no, probably never. I agree teachers need more power to discipline children, but I think the buck must instead rest with parents who should be responsbible for raising their children into half-decent citizens rather than a lot of demon children today.
Nah, teachers are only human, I don't think they can be given the level of trust necessary to know that they won't allow their bias and covert favouritism influence their caning decisions and patterns.
Reply 9
lol..... these days if a teacher hit a pupil the pupil would hit them back
Reply 10
It couldn't happen really because charges such as "assault" exist today. Plus, who's to say who deserves caning? What if the teacher was prejudiced for one reason or another? It couldn't happen in todays society.
Reply 11
Never happen.

Firstly, by and large teachers would probably refuse to do it.

Secondly, you'd get parents saying - "I refuse to allow this" and so you'd have some kids getting corporal punishment and others not.

Thirdly, some kid would get caned. The parent would go to the school and beat the teacher to within an inch of his or her life.

Fourthly, some teacher would cane a child. The child would pick up a chair and wrap it round the teacher's head.
Original post by Clip

Fourthly, some teacher would cane a child. The child would pick up a chair and wrap it round the teacher's head.

Sadly, this would happen.

The cane probably isn't needed in private schools, only in some public schools. (Behaviour of pupils between the two is vastly different!)
EDIT: But even then, the kids would retaliate. If some form of punishment like this is to come back, it'd probably rather be CCTV cameras, giving those who look through the cameras a phone so they can call police, and to show police the recordings so they can arrest the kid. It's that bad in some places.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by HotfireLegend
Sadly, this would happen.

The cane probably isn't needed in private schools, only in some public schools. (Behaviour of pupils between the two is vastly different!)
EDIT: But even then, the kids would retaliate. If some form of punishment like this is to come back, it'd probably rather be CCTV cameras, giving those who look through the cameras a phone so they can call police, and to show police the recordings so they can arrest the kid. It's that bad in some places.

Public school and private school are the same thing.

However, I don't really have any sympathy for this kind of view. If a full grown adult attacks a child with a weapon - regardless of the circumstances - and the child retaliates - why is that such a terrible thing?
(edited 12 years ago)
Maybe it should, maybe it should not. It doesn't matter because it will never happen.
Reply 15
Discipline should be taught by the parents, not teachers.
A good teacher should be able to control the class without even raising their voice.

I would like to see if introduced just so I can witness the outcome/result of such measures. Although given the choice I personally would have it stay banned and look at other reasons why behaviour "seems" to be an increasing problem.
No, I don't think teachers should be allowed to cane children, though I do think they should be allowed more power. I would not object to a teacher hauling a disrepsectul child out of a classroom if that child was preventing others learning. Sadly, in today's society, that would probably be the last thing that teacher ever did.
Parents just need to raise their kids with a level of respect, and instil a value in education for their kids. Problem is with morons having kids.
Reply 19
Original post by Clip

Firstly, by and large teachers would probably refuse to do it.

One of the conditions of becoming a teacher would be that you would be trained how to cane kids. It would be part of the curriculum of a teacher training course, and teachers would be expected to dish out punishments when needed.

Original post by Clip
Secondly, you'd get parents saying - "I refuse to allow this" and so you'd have some kids getting corporal punishment and others not.

Original post by Clip
[Thirdly, some kid would get caned. The parent would go to the school and beat the teacher to within an inch of his or her life.

Parents would have to sign a contract to say that they agree to the use of the cane on their children if they misbehave. So the parent would not be able to complain.

Original post by Clip

There would be a special room or office designed with no chairs or other objects in it, so that when a child has been badly behaved they get taken to this room and given a caning.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending