The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roshniroxy
My pen rests against the top edge of my middle finger, that is why have a fat bump of hard skin there now (one of the joys of being an English student).

Same here.
The first one as well, I used to think it was wrong as well :tongue:
I can't describe how I hold mine so I took a picture.

Some people get really angry with how I hold it for some stupid reason... I don't care if it's not 'right', haterz gonna hate.
I hold mine kind of like this, but write with my pen totally vertical :yep:

Just stick to whatever way is most comfy!
Reply 24
A lot of people with learning difficulties hold it just as you do, and they hold their forks in a similar way. My brother is the same, we're both dyspraxic but he's more so than I am.

If it works for you then it's fine (he actually has much nicer handwriting than I do). It could be worth trying to hold it the other way if your current way hurts after too long, however it might cause you more pain as your hand won't be used to being in that position for so long. It's up to you really, there might be methods of learning to switch.
I rest the pen on the first joint of my ring finger, with then the middle, index and thumb griping the pen in a triangle. I'm told I grip it really hard, which is why I have a really big writing bump on my ring finger :P
Reply 26

I've always been told I hold my pen weird. I can't even find any images of how I hold mine, but its more F than anything.
I taught myself though.

Basically my thumb is the main mover, and then I use my 1st, second and third fingers as support over the side. I rest my 4th finger below.

I'm right handed, but hold my knife and fork left handed. I'm weird like that.

I've always felt I have something wrong with me, but haven't ever been able to pin it down.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lausa22
I'm left-handed and hold it reallllllly awkwardly, and my wrist bends in a lot. Everyone tells me I look strange and that it looks painful the way I told my pen!
http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Left_hand_writers_images/wRick%20Propas%20left%20hand%20writing.JPG

Yeah, I can't get the link to work, but I hold my pen like that ^

I hold it like that as well. I find if you hold it "normally" then my hand drags over the ink and smudges it. We should definitely write in Hebrew fashion (Right to Left rather than Left to Right).
Reply 28
Original post by Alofleicester
I hold it like that as well. I find if you hold it "normally" then my hand drags over the ink and smudges it. We should definitely write in Hebrew fashion (Right to Left rather than Left to Right).

We should!
My nepthew is left handed also and when he first began to write, he actually wrote from right to left!
There's so many lefty's in my family, it's crazy!
Reply 29
With my hand?

My handwriting in that picture's surprisingly neat for me, normally it's much messier.
Original post by thegodofgod
No.

I put my thumb over the tip of my index finger, and the other 3 fingers are curled inwards and touching my palm :erm:

I do this to.
People have commented on how I hold a pen wrongly but surely it doesn't matter as I can write reasonably fast and as long as its not uncomfy.
I write (when I can) similar to the second picture, but with my 4th and 5th fingers raised.
This is because curling them under and pressing them against the paper has left me crippled.
Be careful if your writing style is in any way painful...
Reply 33
I envy you to be honest. writer's bump 4 lyf :frown:
Reply 34
Original post by lausa22

Original post by lausa22
I'm left-handed and hold it reallllllly awkwardly, and my wrist bends in a lot. Everyone tells me I look strange and that it looks painful the way I told my pen!
http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Left_hand_writers_images/wRick%20Propas%20left%20hand%20writing.JPG

Yeah, I can't get the link to work, but I hold my pen like that ^

I hold it like that too :s
Apparently it's not very normal to. That's what I always get told anyway.
Like a **** :colonhash:
Guess I'm normal then!

Just tried the first method. Didn't work :frown:
Reply 37
The same angle as the second picture, though my third finger touches the pen, rather than just my thumb and index finger.
Original post by lukas1051
I can't describe how I hold mine so I took a picture.

Some people get really angry with how I hold it for some stupid reason... I don't care if it's not 'right', haterz gonna hate.

That's exactly how I've always done it as well! Didn't realise it was abnormal until someone pointed it out a few years ago. :five:

EDIT: I also use my cutlery back to front and wear my watch on the opposite arm from most people I know. Oh well. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
No one will care how you hold your pen- just make sure you are comfortable and can write legibly.

Latest