The Student Room Group

(Higher English Critical Essay) - Sunset Song QUOTES on Setting

So like always I've left my essay to the last minute for English. It is a critical essay on the setting of Sunset Song - Lewis Grassic Gibbon.

The question is: Choose a novel or short story in which setting, both in place and time, importantly shapes the central concerns of the text.
Show how the author succeeds in conveying key aspects of the time and place setting in order to enhance the enjoyment of the narrative.

I don't have a problem with writing the essay, I'm just having trouble in finding quotes on setting for it.

In the notes my teacher had given me, it looks like I need quotes for:

rural community in comparison to the gentry or townspeople

links to the dualism of the main character Chris Guthrie

evocations of the countryside

language of the novel

changing methods of agriculture

affects of the outbreak of the First World War

To anyone that has read and knows quotes from Sunset Song specifically for the setting, I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a hand! :plz2:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
The quote I use to show the conflicts within Chris's character between education and the land is this one-
"You hated the land and the coarse speak of the folk and learning was brave and fine one day; and the next you'd waken with the peewits crying across the hills, deep and deep, crying in the heart of you"
The quote I use to show the safety that Chris finds in the land, and to help explain Gibbon's over-arching theme of change is this one-"nothing endures... but the land"
I wouldn't worry too much about the language of the novel :smile:
For the war I just explain that it acts as a catalyst for change, and from what I gather it is somewhat important to mention the trees being cut down and how that symbolises the change the war has brought. As for the changing methods of agriculture, I just mention how there are only the few peasant folk left (John Guthrie, Chae Strachan and Long Rob) that use the old ways and I explain how the hard work turns John Guthrie coarse and brute. Will and John's relationship is only formed by confrontations as they both represent the old and the new ways of farming, since Will migrates to Argentina and encourages mechanisation unlike John who completely disagrees with Will's ways.
As for it being a rural community, I don't have a quote but just describe it as a close-knit, rural crofting community.

Hope this has helped in some form or another :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by CatBrearley
The quote I use to show the conflicts within Chris's character between education and the land is this one-
"You hated the land and the coarse speak of the folk and learning was brave and fine one day; and the next you'd waken with the peewits crying across the hills, deep and deep, crying in the heart of you"
The quote I use to show the safety that Chris finds in the land, and to help explain Gibbon's over-arching theme of change is this one-"nothing endures... but the land"
I wouldn't worry too much about the language of the novel :smile:
For the war I just explain that it acts as a catalyst for change, and from what I gather it is somewhat important to mention the trees being cut down and how that symbolises the change the war has brought. As for the changing methods of agriculture, I just mention how there are only the few peasant folk left (John Guthrie, Chae Strachan and Long Rob) that use the old ways and I explain how the hard work turns John Guthrie coarse and brute. Will and John's relationship is only formed by confrontations as they both represent the old and the new ways of farming, since Will migrates to Argentina and encourages mechanisation unlike John who completely disagrees with Will's ways.
As for it being a rural community, I don't have a quote but just describe it as a close-knit, rural crofting community.

Hope this has helped in some form or another :biggrin:

Haha thanks for the help, although this essay was due months and months ago so I got over the difficulties and got it done (with the help of a few websites). I think I might have actually used that quote. Luckily enough I found a website that had quotes and analysis included for Sunset Song so I basically just copied and pasted everything and changed a few of the words which my English teacher would know I'd never even dream of using. However, despite the copying and pasting, the essay was actually pretty easy to do! Definitely the easiest critical essay I've had to do for English before. And yeah, I did exactly what you said for war. That was actually probably the easiest part of the whole essay to write! :biggrin:
Reply 3
It was a nightmare having to do it under timed conditions in my prelim :O BUT they mark very generously for novels, especially if you cover most ground and don't analyse words within the quotes. I thought I hadn't done too well and got 21/25 which I was so pleased about :biggrin: I was hoping for a 13 as I think english is impossible, been told my english teacher is a harsh marker though so that might have something to do with my doubtfulness :L have you got any sites that are good for quotes? I have just come back to Sunset Song after the prelim in January so it has been a wee while and have lost all my notes and what not :/
Reply 4
I feel like crying... I just went on the website which I had used for getting all my quotes and analysis for SS and the website is no longer available! Luckily my class has covered most of SS, so I don't think I'll need the site all that much now but really, I am truly gutted! :emo:

The only other website now that I can think of for help would be Bitesize, which I did also use to help me with my setting essay.

Sadly I didn't get this essay in my prelim, although I so wish I did or I'm sure I would have defintiely got around the same mark as you for it!

For my prelim it was to choose a key scene from SS which was a turning point in the life of the main character. So my class only got notes on it just before we left to get our week off for the prelims so we didn't get to hand in a first draft to get marked or anything, so we were basically just left to guess what to write with rushed notes (my English teacher is very unorganised). Luckily, with the help of a friend who shared what she was writing about, I wrote about John Guthrie's death and how it changed Chris's life and how she developed into a woman, got married, how Ewan changed because of the war and how she was affected by that... bla bla bla. I ended up getting 19 which I thought was alright for not even knowing if what I was writing was actually correct or not.
Reply 5
Heey, I have just been asked to write an essay on the setting for sunset song, and I've no idea what other quotes i can use.. the questions is: choose a novel in which the setting in time and or place is a significant feature. Show how the writer's use of setting contributes to your understanding of character and theme.

Id be soo appreciative for any ideas & hints you could give me om how to answer this, thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by pikey358
Heey, I have just been asked to write an essay on the setting for sunset song, and I've no idea what other quotes i can use.. the questions is: choose a novel in which the setting in time and or place is a significant feature. Show how the writer's use of setting contributes to your understanding of character and theme.

Id be soo appreciative for any ideas & hints you could give me om how to answer this, thanks!

No worries, this essay is actually much more easier than you might expect!

I actually started copying and pasting the quotes I used, although typing an explanation for each would take forever, as if I was writing the whole essay out again. So I can send you my version of this essay if you like? I used a lot of Bitesize for this (literally everything I could find on time and setting). :smile:
Reply 7
Yaaaay, that would be awsome thanks!
Reply 8
Heyy, I'm writing an essay on Sunset song too, could you send me the essay too?X
Original post by Nfergs
No worries, this essay is actually much more easier than you might expect!

I actually started copying and pasting the quotes I used, although typing an explanation for each would take forever, as if I was writing the whole essay out again. So I can send you my version of this essay if you like? I used a lot of Bitesize for this (literally everything I could find on time and setting). :smile:
Reply 9
Heyy, I have to write an essay in Sunset Song too, can you send me the essay? It would be so helpful as I'm really struggling with it :frown: xxx
Original post by HollyM0309
Heyy, I have to write an essay in Sunset Song too, can you send me the essay? It would be so helpful as I'm really struggling with it :frown: xxx

Hi there, I've not read Sunset Song but maybe I could help you on it? :smile: Could you tell me your thoughts on the question and what it actually is? How is the question relevant to Sunset Song? What are the themes within Sunset Song? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Quick-use
Hi there, I've not read Sunset Song but maybe I could help you on it? :smile: Could you tell me your thoughts on the question and what it actually is? How is the question relevant to Sunset Song? What are the themes within Sunset Song? :smile:

Basically the question is just "Choose a novel in which the setting plays a significant feature in your appreciation of the text"
The novel is based in the fictional state of Kinraddie and the main part takes place on a farm :smile: that any help? :P xx
Reply 12
Original post by HollyM0309
Heyy, I'm writing an essay on Sunset song too, could you send me the essay too?X

Sorry for the late reply. I'm currently at school although I can send you it tonight when I'm back home if you still need it? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Nfergs
Sorry for the late reply. I'm currently at school although I can send you it tonight when I'm back home if you still need it? :smile:

yes that would be great! Do you need my email for it?X
Original post by Nfergs
I feel like crying... I just went on the website which I had used for getting all my quotes and analysis for SS and the website is no longer available! Luckily my class has covered most of SS, so I don't think I'll need the site all that much now but really, I am truly gutted! :emo:

The only other website now that I can think of for help would be Bitesize, which I did also use to help me with my setting essay.

Sadly I didn't get this essay in my prelim, although I so wish I did or I'm sure I would have defintiely got around the same mark as you for it!

For my prelim it was to choose a key scene from SS which was a turning point in the life of the main character. So my class only got notes on it just before we left to get our week off for the prelims so we didn't get to hand in a first draft to get marked or anything, so we were basically just left to guess what to write with rushed notes (my English teacher is very unorganised). Luckily, with the help of a friend who shared what she was writing about, I wrote about John Guthrie's death and how it changed Chris's life and how she developed into a woman, got married, how Ewan changed because of the war and how she was affected by that... bla bla bla. I ended up getting 19 which I thought was alright for not even knowing if what I was writing was actually correct or not.

I'm not sure what website you were using, but I did Sunset Song in 5th year and made quite a few word documents out of the notes I found online. I'd hinder a guess some of them might be from the site that was taken down. However, thought I might upload them all for anyone who wants them. I had them all printed out and stuff when I was doing exam revision and thank god I had them. I was so bad at taking notes and understanding it all in the class. Haha. It was all good in the end though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Damn I remember i had to do this book for my higher English. I'll see if I can dig out an old essay on setting for oyu. I got an A lol
Reply 16
Hi ive been asked to do an essay on sunset song, and its just about the change through the full novel! Is there any tips people could give me on how to start it off and any quotes as this is the first essay ive got to do for higher xx
Reply 17
The question is to, choose a novel with an ending you found unexpected, explain briefly in what way the ending is unexpected and go on to discuss to extent it is a satisfactory conclusion to the novel. This is for sunset song, can any one give me some quotes and an idea how to start i have no idea :confused::confused::confused:
Hey, I'm in the same position as you now, could you tell me what website you used to find the quote analysis'

Quick Reply