The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff Thrive Scholarship 2012 Entry Progress Thread

Hey anyone else going for the Thrive prize?

First challenge ended on 23/01/12, anyone feel they got decent answers or know when the results are being published?

Curious to know whether I've got a chance of getting through as I have an interview 07/02 and I don't think I'll go if I'm out of the running as I already have an offer.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sdh12
Hey anyone else going for the Thrive prize?

First challenge ended on 23/01/12, anyone feel they got decent answers or know when the results are being published?

Curious to know whether I've got a chance of getting through as I have an interview 07/02 and I don't think I'll go if I'm out of the running as I already have an offer.
I'm waiting to get an interivew from Cardiff, I hope :frown:

But I thought the Thrive challenge 1 was pretty good :smile:

EDIT: Nearly 4 months down the line, just for interest :tongue:, didn't get that interview, but on for another course at Cardiff which I think will be much better anyway :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Yes same, any idea what happening with the thrive places? I got an email about how they had recieved my answers but I thought the answers were going to be posted online?

curious :smile:
Anyone else get the second stage? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Moscardini
Anyone else get the second stage? :smile:

yeah I am through aswell:smile:

the answers still haven't been posted, pretty sure i didnt get all 5
Original post by Willheath
yeah I am through aswell:smile:

the answers still haven't been posted, pretty sure i didnt get all 5

Ahh I presumed you had to get all 5 to advance? I don't know :P
Reply 6
Ahh I presumed you had to get all 5 to advance? I don't know :P

Yeah that's what I thought before submitting my answers.

Do you remember any of your answers?
Reply 7
I'm through to the second challenge, yay, excited to try it. Wonder how much harder it will be than the first...
Original post by Willheath
Yeah that's what I thought before submitting my answers.

Do you remember any of your answers?

I know i got the wales patagonia one :P all i remember is surfing through some random essay of agriculture r something for one of them ;P wbu?
Reply 9
I know i got the wales patagonia one :P all i remember is surfing through some random essay of agriculture r something for one of them ;P wbu?

I think my answers were

108(pretty sure this was wrong)
Brain circulation
Hermogoulus recombination( think that's what I put cant remember pretty sure I got it right though)
Eco economy
1965:smile:
Reply 10
Through too but I have different answers again...

Q1 - 3000
Q2 - brain circulation
Q3 Gene Targeting
Q4 - ecological modernisation
Q5 - 1965
Reply 11
So did anyone not get through...? Maybe it's a combined thing or the three rounds before the final?
Reply 12
Hey, I got through too :smile: curious about the next set of questions... :smile:
my answers were
1 - 3000
2 brain circulation
3 gene targeting
4 eco-economy or something similar
5 1965

Looks like none of us got the same...? Maybe they just had to pick people who got 4 or more or something if hardly anyone got it right! I was pretty sure I had got some wrong?
The people on Facebook we have to subscribe to have about 170 ish subscribers each so that must be about the number of people through?
Reply 13
I got through as well :smile:

I cant remember all of my answers. I know I put eco economy, 1965 and homologous recombination, but I can't remember the others.

Do we know how many rounds there'll be? It's just I'm still waiting for a decision and it says you have to have an offer for the final stages. Obviously if there are only 3 then it seems unlikely that I might not get an offer, so there would be no point trying stage 2 :confused:
Reply 14
Everyone heard about round 3 yet? Just wondering if people have/haven't got through?
Reply 15
Original post by JLedward
Everyone heard about round 3 yet? Just wondering if people have/haven't got through?

I got through to the next round. I'd like to know how many people are actually still taking part. I thought that round 2 was easier than the first even though they said the rounds would get harder. Did anyone else find this??
Reply 16
Hey I'm through too :smile: Really excited about it :smile: I'm guessing there were about 200 hundred in the last round judging by subscribers so some percentage of that? Good luck to every one who is through :smile:
PS Yes I also thought 2 was easier if you chose the right questions
Reply 17
Yeah I also found round 2 really easy. A lot of A Level Biologists would have been able to answer one of the questions without doing any research. And I agree, the first round was a lot harder however this third round challenge is a bit tricky
Hey guys,

I thought Challenge 1 took ages but I was pretty sure all my answers were correct, I got:

1. 4000
2. Brain Circulation
3. Homologous Recombination
4. Eco Economy
5. 1965

Although I would have thought they'd have taken 3000 or 4000 for number 1 because the Cardiff Uni website said 3000, but the researchers own stand-alone site said 4000. I chose 4000 based on the fact the researchers website should be more accurate I'd have thought?

Challenge 2 was easy if you chose the right questions I agree. Especially those with an interest in Biology as JLedward said. I chose that one as I knew it off the top of my head and then the one about town planning. Only took a few minutes research.

I'm a bit worried about Challenge 3! They say we have a little longer to sort it out but it doesn't feel like long enough. Especially when your busy working full time or wrapped up in studying, not to mention the workload and stress that interviews bring at this time. ARGH!

Anyone else here still waiting for Cardiff to reply though?
I don't know whether to proceed with stage 3 to be honest. What did you decide Jrlxx?
I have heard NOTHING. That means by May 4th for me to even be able to take part I need to have had an interview date offer, done the interview, heard back, and get an offer. Then accepted and firmed it, ARGH! I'm feeling highly doubtful that this'll be worth it :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by 000katie000
Hey guys,

I thought Challenge 1 took ages but I was pretty sure all my answers were correct, I got:

1. 4000
2. Brain Circulation
3. Homologous Recombination
4. Eco Economy
5. 1965

Although I would have thought they'd have taken 3000 or 4000 for number 1 because the Cardiff Uni website said 3000, but the researchers own stand-alone site said 4000. I chose 4000 based on the fact the researchers website should be more accurate I'd have thought?

Challenge 2 was easy if you chose the right questions I agree. Especially those with an interest in Biology as JLedward said. I chose that one as I knew it off the top of my head and then the one about town planning. Only took a few minutes research.

I'm a bit worried about Challenge 3! They say we have a little longer to sort it out but it doesn't feel like long enough. Especially when your busy working full time or wrapped up in studying, not to mention the workload and stress that interviews bring at this time. ARGH!

Anyone else here still waiting for Cardiff to reply though?
I don't know whether to proceed with stage 3 to be honest. What did you decide Jrlxx?
I have heard NOTHING. That means by May 4th for me to even be able to take part I need to have had an interview date offer, done the interview, heard back, and get an offer. Then accepted and firmed it, ARGH! I'm feeling highly doubtful that this'll be worth it :frown:

I still haven't heard anything but I think I might do the tasks anyway because unis are supposed to send out decisions by the 31st. That way if I did get an offer (unlikely, but I can hope:colondollar:) then I can just submit the tasks. If I hear nothing I wont bother submitting them. All depends on whether I have enough time to do them though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending