Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite quote of all time?

Announcements Posted on
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    'This is the world I wanted to see, no East, no West, no Cold War. And the irony of it is, the United States and the Soviet Union are spending billions on their space programs and the missile race only to arrive at the same conclusion. In the 21st century everyone will be able to see that we are all just inhabitants of a little celestial body called Earth. A world without communism and capitalism... that is the world I wanted to see. But reality continued to betray me.'

- Bit anachronistic, but means something to me- Metal Gear Solid 3- The Boss.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Don't cook. Don't clean. No man will ever make love to a woman because she waxed the linoleum. "My god! The floor's immaculate. Lie down you hot bitch!""
    - Joan Rivers

And a more serious one:

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here."
    - Richard Dawkins
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    "In it is supreme tranquillity. The sea does not belong to despots. Upon its surface men can still exercise unjust laws, fight, tear one another to pieces, and be carried away with terrestrial horrors. But at thirty feet below its level, their reign ceases, their influence is quenched, and their power disappears." - Jules Verne, "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea." Captain Nemo in "20.000 Leagues under the Sea"
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    'We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.' Oscar Wilde

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Winston Churchill

'If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew,
    to serve you turnlong after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing left in you,
    except the Will which says to them 'Hold on'.' R. Kipling
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    “If we only wanted to be happy, it would be easy; but we want to be happier than other people, and that is almost always difficult, since we think them happier than they are.” Charles-Louis de Montesquieu
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shj)
    At the moment, it's

"One shivers slightly, looking up there.
    The hardness and the brightness and the plain
    Far-reaching singleness of that wide stare

Is a reminder of the strength and pain
    Of being young; that it can't come again,
    But is for others undiminished somewhere." (From Philip Larkin's 'Sad Steps')

BRRRR! Shivers indeed!
    I really like the first lines from Larkin's This Be The Verse, although that may just be because it's so useful in everyday life:
    "They f*** you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pain is temporary but quitting lasts forever - Lance Armstrong

Nothing in life that's worth having will ever come easy..
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    ''Those who criticize our generation forget who raised it.''
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "Find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life"- Confucius.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    "I don’t care if you’re black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you’re nice to me, I’ll be nice to you. Simple as that." - Eminem

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't." -Jerry Rice

"I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses" - Henry Ford

'If you spend too much time working on your weaknesses, all you end up with is a lot of strong weaknesses'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    “A life Jimmy. It’s the **** that happens while you wait for moments that never come.”

"I'm eating scrambled egg out of a shoe, with a comb"
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry." - Kerouac
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    "You must hate a Frenchman like the Devil himself"
    - Viscount Nelson

"Engage the enemy more closely"
    -Viscount Nelson

"England expects that every man will do his duty"
    -Viscount Nelson
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    "I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to." - Jimi Hendrix
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Who wants to be happy? Anyone can do that." - Bob Dylan

"You can't win an argument just by being right!" - Barry, Four Loins

OKOK I'm just getting negged for these so I will explain them.

The top one: When you are down (as we all are periodically) I find it really really helps me focus on work instead of self misery if I just think **** it, I am going to achieve something with my life, If I make the world a better place that is far more important than my own personal happiness. And it helps me pull through. For me, this quote sums that up.

The second one I just find really funny, Four Lions is an amazing film XD I know too many people that seem to go through life with this attitude and it makes me chuckle.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.
    -Karl Marx
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    anyone has good quotes about letting go of past/ regrets?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    They called me Mr.Glass

(Original post by ladyliberty)
    anyone has good quotes about letting go of past/ regrets?
    I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why...I succeed

-Michael Jordan
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a few...but my all time favourite it-

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi.

Also love-

The man who regards his own life and that of his fellow creatures as meaningless is not merely unhappy but hardly fit for life." - Mein Weltbild, 1934

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.” ~ James D. Miles

"The world is a dangerous place.... not just because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing" - Albert Einstein

“He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr

"It's not who i am underneath, but what i do that defines me" - Bruce Wayne, Batman Begins

"In the end, we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, and we will understand only what we are taught."
    -Baba Dioum, 1968

Animal lovage and Batman lovage.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarshmallowBob)
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
    Love this one. Have you heard of Zeitgeist by anychance?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 20, 2013
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.