The Student Room Group

David Cronenberg or John Carpenter or David Lynch

Who do you like best. To similar styled film-makers but yet totally unique.

I prefer Cronenberg. The maker of such films as:
Shivers (The only film ever to give me a nightmare)
Rabid
Scanners
The Fly
Crash
Spider
Dead Ringers
A History of Violence
and
of course
The Dead Zone

John Carpenter is great, but I think his handling of real shocking material isn't the same as DC, films include:
The Fog (Don't bother with the silly remake)
The Thing (One of the greatest ever horror movies)
Assault on Precinct 13 (The original)
Dark Star
Halloween (Another classic horror)
and
of course
They Live
- He also made Village of the Damned but it wasn't as good as the original.

David Lynch is also one of the most unusual film makers I have ever come across with films like:
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Wild at Heart
Dune
Mullholland Drive
and
Lost Highway.

All three are truely great film-makers and directors, but I prefer DC due to his greater attention to the basic special effects, and his willingness to shock you. I must admit I have never seen a face look the way it did after DC had it shot off in A History of Violence. His most recent film. Which is fantastic, and if it were left to me it would definitely win some Oscars this year. - but this ain't a poll or anything it's a discussion. Who do you like best and why.
Reply 1
Well not being the biggest horror fan, Cronenberg and Carpenter are out for me.

David Lynch doesn't really make horror films. Even Eraserhead, the film that resembles the most a horror film, is more about the human psyche and its fears than about trying to scare the viewer.

You mentioned David Lynch but forgot maybe his most important film (as a standalone film since people often forget that he directed it): Elephant Man. It's also possibly one of the best British films ever, although the British tag could easily be contested.

In a similar vein, The Straight Story is great and a very moving film too.

I was a huge fan of Twin Peaks so obviously love film Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me and Mulholland Drive which are all in the same vein. I have yet to see Lost Highway :frown:
Reply 2
For me its easy - From Best to worst:
Lynch, Cronenberg, Carpenter.

Lynch isn't so much horror as awesome mystery type stuff. Elephant Man is my favourite, but Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet and even Dune I enjoyed. Lost Highway wasn't as hot.

Cronenberg I find a bit more hit and miss. Naked Lunch was surprisingly good, Dead Ringer's was interesting but not exactly entertaining, and The Fly was pretty much the opposite - not very cerebral but fun.

Carpenter - meh. I think there's much better horror than Halloween.

Admittedly there are quite a few films by these directors that I haven't seen.
Reply 3
Lynch....then Carpenter.....then Cronenberg.

Lynch is just a genius, Carpenter made The Thing so gets God-like status and Cronenberg I quite like but have only seen 5 films from...
Reply 4
SamTheMan
Well not being the biggest horror fan, Cronenberg and Carpenter are out for me.

David Lynch doesn't really make horror films. Even Eraserhead, the film that resembles the most a horror film, is more about the human psyche and its fears than about trying to scare the viewer.

You mentioned David Lynch but forgot maybe his most important film (as a standalone film since people often forget that he directed it): Elephant Man. It's also possibly one of the best British films ever, although the British tag could easily be contested.

In a similar vein, The Straight Story is great and a very moving film too.

I was a huge fan of Twin Peaks so obviously love film Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me and Mulholland Drive which are all in the same vein. I have yet to see Lost Highway :frown:

Yeah I know that now. I can't remember everything. And personally I like both Eraserhead and Blue Velvet more.

Also I'm not looking for horror fans, I'm looking for people who like to watch people who make the weirdest/uniquest films.
I just think these fit the bill.
Reply 5
What? You forgot Elephant Man! That's the best film ever. :biggrin: Just kidding but I would definitely put it right up there. I remember an old MTV ad from when I was a kid, about 10 or 15 years ago where Aerosmith were thanking Britain for all the things they'd given them and of course the Elephant Man was mentioned.

I have Blue Velvet on DVD and I think it's all a bit crap. It's nice to see Kyle McLachlan being introduced before Twin Peaks but the whole Dennis Hopper character is ridiculously unrealistic in my opinion.

Eraserhead is great because of its weirdness (is there any film that comes close?). Having had weird dreams like that, I suspect that David Lynch used things he'd dreamt. The whole idea of giving birth to some kind of animal/monster... that can only come from some man who is scared of soon having children.

But my favourites would still be Elephant Man, Twin Peaks:Fire Walk with Me and Mulholland Drive.
Reply 6
SamTheMan
the whole Dennis Hopper character is ridiculously unrealistic in my opinion.
Yes...that is his appeal.

Just because he's a sociopathic sexual deviant it doesn't mean he is beyond the realm of realism.

"I'LL F**K ANYTHING THAT MOOOOOVES"
Reply 7
SamTheMan
What? You forgot Elephant Man! That's the best film ever. :biggrin: Just kidding but I would definitely put it right up there. I remember an old MTV ad from when I was a kid, about 10 or 15 years ago where Aerosmith were thanking Britain for all the things they'd given them and of course the Elephant Man was mentioned.

I have Blue Velvet on DVD and I think it's all a bit crap. It's nice to see Kyle McLachlan being introduced before Twin Peaks but the whole Dennis Hopper character is ridiculously unrealistic in my opinion.

Eraserhead is great because of its weirdness (is there any film that comes close?). Having had weird dreams like that, I suspect that David Lynch used things he'd dreamt. The whole idea of giving birth to some kind of animal/monster... that can only come from some man who is scared of soon having children.

But my favourites would still be Elephant Man, Twin Peaks:Fire Walk with Me and Mulholland Drive.

What about Dune, that has Kyle McLachlan in it and was made before Blue Velvet. What do you think of that amazingly weird space movie?
lynch.
by far.anybody who can create a movie like lost highway or a tv series like twin peaks deserves to win
then carpenter and last cronenberg
Reply 9
morgangills
Yes...that is his appeal.

Just because he's a sociopathic sexual deviant it doesn't mean he is beyond the realm of realism.

"I'LL F**K ANYTHING THAT MOOOOOVES"

I really wasn't convinced. To me it was Dennis Hopper at his worst. He just doesn't have the weird bone in him. Isabella Rossellini was convincing though.

creamcrackered

What about Dune, that has Kyle McLachlan in it and was made before Blue Velvet. What do you think of that amazingly weird space movie?

I saw it when I was 9 or 10 so I can't remember much, other than it had Sting in it. I guess the thing with Blue Velvet is that you see Kyle McLachlan starting his whole detective stuff. Although the whole realism of the characters is questionable... That's the thing with Lynch, for some reason, his characters just don't seem like real people. If you look at Twin Peaks, even though it's a great series, if you take a second to look at the actual acting, you realise that it's pretty bad.

The owner of the hotel was a joke, Leland was not very believable, Dale Cooper is over the top... yet in a strange way, it remains addictive.
Reply 10
SamTheMan
I really wasn't convinced. To me it was Dennis Hopper at his worst. He just doesn't have the weird bone in him. Isabella Rossellini was convincing though.

I saw it when I was 9 or 10 so I can't remember much, other than it had Sting in it. I guess the thing with Blue Velvet is that you see Kyle McLachlan starting his whole detective stuff. Although the whole realism of the characters is questionable... That's the thing with Lynch, for some reason, his characters just don't seem like real people. If you look at Twin Peaks, even though it's a great series, if you take a second to look at the actual acting, you realise that it's pretty bad.

The owner of the hotel was a joke, Leland was not very believable, Dale Cooper is over the top... yet in a strange way, it remains addictive.

Point taken. Lynch's characters are often weird and unrelaistic, but then again I think that adds to the appeal of his films.
I watched Wild at Heart and although Sailor was a ridiculously unrealistic character - being both a real violent killer and a tender-hearted soul at the same time. I still liked it.

But like I said I prefer DC anyway. He's got weird ass films that really make you think. And the shocks he uses in them. Particularly in Scanners, Shivers, Rabid and Naked Lunch (which I think I forgot to add at the start) are pretty daring and very cool. I just think he's brilliant at what he does.

Latest