The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Qui Audet Vincit
At first it's going upto 6miles, then it's going upto 8 in 2007

That's by the book. It is different bn to bn, I have personally been told by my hierarchy that I will be doing 8 miles in 2006 when we transfer to 3rd bn. Horses for courses, and don't forget that that covers all arms and being god's own we have to be much fitter than the chefs and clerks.
Reply 41
GemmaLS
A lot of things can be used to measure VO2 max - the 1.5 mile run is very popular for this. I'm having mine done tomorrow on a stationary bike.

Well, VO2 max is 49.7 - I'm pretty pleased with that, equates to Level 10, Shuttle 10 on the bleep test. Now if I could only get that on the bleep test.....

Guess I'll just have to start practising my technique then
Reply 42
In Finnish army we run the cooper (which measures how far you can run in 12 minutes) test rather than the bleep test. I ran 3050m a few weeks ago which earned me an extra day's holiday. Woo.
Reply 43
Someone gave me a really good tip yesterday. When preparing for the test, try practising 'suicides'. Running back and forth between two lines, touching each end with your hand. It'll make touching the line with your foot seem a hell of a lot easier.
GemmaLS
Someone gave me a really good tip yesterday. When preparing for the test, try practising 'suicides'. Running back and forth between two lines, touching each end with your hand. It'll make touching the line with your foot seem a hell of a lot easier.

Try alternating between a press up and a sit up at each end, if you make level 4 you are doing very well, it's something we do for rugby and very good to simulate the tiredness from getting knocked down and getting up again. It also improves your overall bleep test score.
Reply 45
At karate training we do a similar thing, where you start off doing one press-up at one end, then a sit up at the other. Then you do two press-ups at the first end, then two sit ups at the second, etc. We carry on until we get to 10, and are completely dead on our feet for the rest of the lesson. :tongue:
Reply 46
You should try doing the bleep test with press ups only. Basically you do a press up on each beep for as long as you can. If your no good at them you rest with arms extended, if you have arms like arnold schwarznegger you rest with your arms bent and chest 1" off the ground!!!

Try it, it's really good fun!!!
Reply 47
Bleep test with pressups only? You mean the actual fitness test? Down when it beeps, up when it beeps down, up...? Yeah - great fun, my record is 130 odds I think, in 2 minutes, and though I pumped them fast - back was straight, down to my mates elbow, no cheating! My ex-marine mate, humped me though.
djmarkmclachlan
my record is 130 odds I think, in 2 minutes
130 full press ups in 2 minutes?
Steve Stifler
130 full press ups in 2 minutes?

**** that. I struggle to hit the 44 which is the minimum at RCB.
These tips are decent. A good ti[ is to NEVER get out of decent shape. I had about 3 weeks without fitness stuff due exams and stuff (stupidly) and I went the gym and did lots of pressups and situps with treadmill and other things too. My stomach legs and arms were aching and only today have recovered after Friday nights workout. I am definately going the gym again tomorrow and will folow the same workout but goodness, it feels horrible having that tightness in your muscles.
Reply 51
Yeah, 130 something - it was in a competition, and my mate Gilly absolutely beasted me, he would hand off his arms all day that guy.
Reply 52
I say 130 something, might have been 120 something - it was around about that, not 140 though, but it was like 1,1,2 years ago, I can't remember.
djmarkmclachlan
Yeah, 130 something - it was in a competition, and my mate Gilly absolutely beasted me, he would hand off his arms all day that guy.

Dude, that's more than 2 a second! Full press ups as in an inch or two off the floor to full extension?
Reply 54
Might not have been, but it was a really high number like that. I really don't remember. Might not even have been 2 minutes, lol. But I hit a number somewhere in that region in roughly that timescale.
If you are a member of the gym you can practice the bleep test on a treadmill, however remember that the MSFT was designed to get around the problem of not being able to test everyone at the same time in the confines of a gym.

Here is how it works (not my idea, however I practice it regularly and its a true reflection of what I get when I run the test)

MSFT starts at 8.5kph and increases by 0.5kph every minute. This translates to the following (you wont get the number of shuttles out of this btw)

8.5kph - Level 1
9.0kph - Level 2
9.5kph - Level 3
10.0kph - Level 4
10.5kph - Level 5
11.0kph - Level 6
11.5kph - Level 7
12.0kph - Level 8
12.5kph - Level 9
13.0kph - Level 10
13.5kph - Level 11
14.0kph - Level 12
14.5kph - Level 13

And if you are brave enough to venture on to running at 15kph on a treadmill good luck to you, I stop at 14.5kph.

Draw backs are that its slightly easier on a treadmill as it doesnt take into account your loss of momentum when turning and it also doesnt really allow you to replicate the beeps. However what i did was bought the MSFT off E-bay and listened to it while running, it works for motivation.

As for tips when running the test the ones below were passed on to me from the former OC JROC (Junior Regiments Officer Course)

1. Hydrate 24 hours before the test, more then normal.
2. When running the test breath correctly during the early part of the test, have good posture to allow your lungs to take in a lot of oxygen.
3. During the later parts of the test (level 9 wards) when it is getting difficult to run, once you have turned pick your knee's up more then normal this gives you abit more montenum for not much energy expendature.
4. Remember you have '3 lives' on the test, dont drop out once you think you have had it, wait to be called off. (I know 4 guys who while at Honington managed to get an extra level that way)

Enjoy
Gritchimp, thanks for that.
I have just went down the free hospital gym(yay) and managed 12 on the bleep test treadmill style. I realised I could probably do better but would prefer someone else there incase I fainted! It is easier to do in a gym no doubt so I thing stage 14 would probably be a good equivalent to 10.2 and I will be aiming for this.

Daibhidh
Reply 57
I get much higher on the treadmill than I do on the bleep test. The turning takes quite a bit out of you and it's mentally harder to keep going on the bleep test - you have to keep up with the pace, not keep up with a treadmill.
What level do you get to on the treadmill?
Reply 59
Someone suggested I buy a heart rate monitor for training. I held off for a while but finally caved and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. They are fantastic.

For the bleep test not only do you want to improve your VO2 max and running economy, but your lactate threshold too. With a heart rate monitor you can keep your heart in the 80 to 90% zone and increase your lactate threshold (or anaerobic threshold).

Your heart rate will get higher on each level of the bleep test until it's at the rate where lactic acid starts to accumulate in the muscles. Eventually too much will accumulate and you will have to stop. By working out at your lactate theshold you can teach your muscles to cope with this acid. The buffering mechanism will become more efficient and your muscles will be able to cope with the lactic acid better and your lactate threshold will increase:

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/hrm1.htm
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/lactic.htm

Latest