The Student Room Group

Could my IQ actually be decreasing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
bump.
Reply 21
omg it's down to 95 now :frown: what is happening?!
Reply 22
i can actually get a higher iq score by guessing most of the answers and deliberatly putting the wrong answer when I do know the right one! this is ridiculous.

http://www.free-iqtest.net/iq.asp
Original post by MrHappy_J
omg it's down to 95 now :frown: what is happening?!

Any recent drunkenness, head injuries?

Lol, jk. IQ tests, even the accurate ones, are rather pointless. Having an average IQ doesn't mean you won't get a good job and generally be a success. It might mean you find theoretical physics harder. That's about it.
Besides, as stated, that test is not accurate. You didn't get stupider in the last few weeks. Unless of course you're high, drunk, or especially sleep deprived. Don't stress about it.
Reply 24
Original post by Piko_Piko
Any recent drunkenness, head injuries?

Lol, jk. IQ tests, even the accurate ones, are rather pointless. Having an average IQ doesn't mean you won't get a good job and generally be a success. It might mean you find theoretical physics harder. That's about it.
Besides, as stated, that test is not accurate. You didn't get stupider in the last few weeks. Unless of course you're high, drunk, or especially sleep deprived. Don't stress about it.

no, that's what's worrying. i think something might be happening to my brain :frown: it seems to be deteriorating, i used to get scores of 120.

with an iq of 95 the best i can do is work at a supermarket. i certainly cannot pursue the career that i wanted to. and maths is a large component of my degree, i cannot understand maths so im likely to fail.
im on antidepressants, can that reduce your iq? i cant think of anything else that may have affected me.
(edited 12 years ago)
no, that's what's worrying. i think something might be happening to my brain :frown: it seems to be deteriorating, i used to get scores of 120.

with an iq of 95 the best i can do is work at a supermarket. i certainly cannot pursue the career that i wanted to. and maths is a large component of my degree, i cannot understand maths so im likely to fail.
im on antidepressants, can that reduce your iq? i cant think of anything else that may have affected me.

No, that's not true. There are many average/below average people in better jobs. There are many clever (going by IQ score) people in £7 an hour jobs - like me for example. I'll say it again - you cannot have gotten significantly less intelligent in a few weeks, short of a head injury.
That said, depression does 'fog' the brain, and also dent your confidence, perhaps making you think you're likely to fail your course?
If you cannot understand maths, then you need to hit the books, and ask TSR or your tutor questions about things you don't understand.
Reply 26
No, that's not true. There are many average/below average people in better jobs. There are many clever (going by IQ score) people in £7 an hour jobs - like me for example. I'll say it again - you cannot have gotten significantly less intelligent in a few weeks, short of a head injury.
That said, depression does 'fog' the brain, and also dent your confidence, perhaps making you think you're likely to fail your course?
If you cannot understand maths, then you need to hit the books, and ask TSR or your tutor questions about things you don't understand.

sadly, as a general rule people with lower iqs tend to be in less well paid jobs. i refer you to hernstein and murray, not that their research is entirely reliable of course. i have no hopes of becoming a top notch psychotherapist. it requires a level of rational thinking and logic and understanding that i apparently do not have.

i cant try to understand something that my brain innately doesnt want to learn, it would be pointless. like teaching a chimp how to read. its not gonna happen.
i just cannot think as well or as much as i used to. i know it may seem stupid to most people but this is genuinely upsetting me.

whats your iq out of interest? i mean its easy for you to say it doesnt make a difference if youre a smart person.
(edited 12 years ago)
sadly, as a general rule people with lower iqs tend to be in less well paid jobs. i refer you to hernstein and murray, not that their research is entirely reliable of course. i have no hopes of becoming a top notch psychotherapist. it requires a level of rational thinking and logic and understanding that i apparently do not have.

i cant try to understand something that my brain innately doesnt want to learn, it would be pointless. like teaching a chimp how to read. its not gonna happen.
i just can think as well or as much as i used to. i know it may seem stupid to most people but this is genuinely upsetting me.

whats your iq out of interest? i mean its easy for you to say it doesnt make a difference if youre a smart person.

Well, I can't actually remember.:colondollar: I got into Mensa, albeit when I was 12. Maybe you could take it from me that IQ isn't everything. As human beings, we all have the same innate abilities. An average person studying for a degree is hardly like teaching a chimp to read. It's not a useful analogy.
The thing I'm confused about is why you're blindly believing these tests which give you such widely differing results. They cannot be accurate. As you say, you can think just as much and as well as you used to.
I think the fact that you're on anti-depressants is significant. I'm sure you've heard that depression makes people believe they aren't good enough for anything. Could your mood and lack of self-belief be linked?
Reply 28
Well, I can't actually remember.:colondollar: I got into Mensa, albeit when I was 12. Maybe you could take it from me that IQ isn't everything. As human beings, we all have the same innate abilities. An average person studying for a degree is hardly like teaching a chimp to read. It's not a useful analogy.
The thing I'm confused about is why you're blindly believing these tests which give you such widely differing results. They cannot be accurate. As you say, you can think just as much and as well as you used to. I think the fact that you're on anti-depressants is significant. I'm sure you've heard that depression makes people believe they aren't good enough for anything. Could your mood and lack of self-belief be linked?

ah well you must have been smart then.

1st bold: i may not be a very smart person but i can tell intuitively that this is wrong. we dont all have the same capabilities, if we did there wouldnt be any geniouses or innovators.

2nd bold: i said the reverse actually.

didnt think that antidepressants could lower your iq...in any case i havent been officially diagnosed with depression, its just what the doctor prescribed me to keep me calm i guess.

if i had only taken the test once i wouldnt have thought it was particularly reliable or accurate, but ive taken it several times throughout the months, which gives me enough time to forget about my previous answers, and it seems to be decreasing every time.

im surprised you cant remember yours to be honest. presumably it was important to you if you went through that much trouble to get a score.
(edited 12 years ago)
ah well you must have been smart then.

1st bold: i may not be a very smart person but i can tell intuitively that this is wrong. we dont all have the same capabilities, if we did there wouldnt be any geniouses or innovators. Ever hear the quote: Creativity is 99% perspiration 1% inspiration? I believe that intuitively. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

2nd bold: i said the reverse actually. You didn't. Maybe you meant to say can't rather than can?
didnt think that antidepressants could lower your iq...in any case i havent been officially diagnosed with depression, its just what the doctor prescribed me to keep me calm i guess. I haven't heard that they do anything to your IQ, but I do know that depression harms your self-belief to the point where you can talk yourself out of being capable of anything.
if i had only taken the test once i wouldnt have thought it was particularly reliable or accurate, but ive taken it several times throughout the months, which gives me enough time to forget about my previous answers, and it seems to be decreasing every time.
It can't be decreasing rapidly. It just can't be. I don't know how many more times I can say this. But if you feel yourself not doing well on your course, just study harder than anyone else and I promise you you'll ddo well

Seriously, study.
Reply 30
Seriously, study.

i generally tend to go by objetive evidence rather than old sayings so i think on this one i might be more accurate.

yeah i meant to say i cannot think as well or as much, typo i guess.

its a waste of time trying any harder to be smart seeing as its mostly innate. and unfair if im working harder than anyone else to get the same result. why should I have to?

it seems impossible but i cant find another explanation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
anyone else? please
Reply 32
bump
Reply 33
My father got 113 on the same test. itll be interesting to see what my mother gets as its supposedly genetic.

Does a typist as a job still exist? I can do that but thats about it. i type fast.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
come on...
Reply 35
iq tests aren't really that accurate. i got 130 when i did it ages ago and i'm no where near clever... i'm just average.
Reply 36
Original post by arbaaz
iq tests aren't really that accurate. i got 130 when i did it ages ago and i'm no where near clever... i'm just average.

was this an online test or a "real" one?
Reply 37
was this an online test or a "real" one?

online... which probably explains why the score was better then average.

Damn, I liked feeling clever! :wink:
Reply 38
Original post by arbaaz
online... which probably explains why the score was better then average.

Damn, I liked feeling clever! :wink:

haha but that would mean my score would be even lower if i was to take a proper one...

if you can get that high a score it probably means you're smart though.

I'm "challenged" lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
haha but that would mean my score would be even lower if i was to take a proper one...

I'm "challenged" lol.

lol, i think mine was just a fluke....
i know, i'm just going to pretend it was the real one.

I like the feeling of thinking I'm clever :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest