The Student Room Group

Could my IQ actually be decreasing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Existentialistic
Obviously there are many different factors, are you taking the same test? Taking two different tests and then comparing the results would be stupid, wouldn't it? But things like how tired you are, what kind of day your having, what your attitude is like, if you're taking medication, ect.

But really, stop putting so much weight on an online IQ test. I just took the test in your OP and scored 136, yet the more detailed test gave me a result of 126 - a increase of 10 points, which is a considerable "change".

As I've said before, if you're really curious you should take a Mensa test, it's just about the only way that you'll be getting an "accurate" reading.

yes i took the same test several times, at similar times of the day with similar levels of tiredness.

god everyone on here is so smart :/

could you tell me the answers to questions 4, 6, 9, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 19? i don't get them.

thanks x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MrHappy_J
yes i took the same test several times, at similar times of the day with similar levels of tiredness.

god everyone on here is so smart :/

could you tell me the answers to questions 4, 6, 9, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 19? i don't get them.

thanks x

4. Mary (denote as M) = 16
Her brother (B) =16/4=4
Hence her brother is (M-B) is 12 years younger than her.

"How old will Mary be when she is twice as old as her brother?"
From the difference we worked out above you should be able to see that 24 is the only possible age Mary will be when she is twice as old as her brother.

6. "Which one of the numbers does not belong in the following series?
2 - 3 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 14 - 15 - 30"

Okay, fairly easy "spot the pattern" question.
It may be tricky if you haven't studied sequences/series but hopefully you should be able to see that the sequence is simply "add one and double" Ie, 2, 2+1=3, 3*2=6, 6+1=7, EIGHT, 7*2=14, 14+1=15, 15*2=20

We can see that eight is the odd one out, sorry if that got confusing, I tried to make it accessible and held back from introducing notation you won't be familiar with.

11. If all Bloops are Razzies and all Razzies are Lazzies, then all Bloops are definitely Lazzies?

This can get confusing, so sub in something your more used to:
"If all bees are insects and all insects are animals, then all bees are definitely animals?" Obviously true.

14. Which one of the numbers does not belong in the following series?
1 - 2 - 5 - 10 - 13 - 26 - 29 - 48

Another simple sequence question. Simply double the number before so

1, (1*2=2) , 5 , (5*2=10) , 13 , (13*2=26), 29 , (29*2=/=48)

So we can see that 48 is the odd one out.

15. Ralph likes 25 but not 24; he likes 400 but not 300; he likes 144 but not 145. Which does he like:

This one is very easy if you know your times tables!

25 = Square
24 = Non-square
400 = Square
300 = Non-square
144 = Square
145 = Non-square

From the list we can see that 1600 is the only square number so "he likes that one"

16. How many four-sided figures appear in the diagram below?

Wasn't entirely sure because of the ambiguity, but I think it's 25.

17. What is the missing number in the sequence shown below?
1 - 8 - 27 - ? - 125 - 216

Again, very simple.

1^3=1, 2^3=8, 3^3=27, 4^3=64, 5^3=125, 6^3=216

Hence ?=64

19 Which of the figures below the line of drawings best completes the series?

This one is all about seeing the pattern. Think of the thing as being 3d, you flip it and switch one of the lines to the top. Repeat, etc. That was my interpretation and I was almost certain that is the answer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Existentialistic
4. Mary (denote as M) = 16
Her brother (B) =16/4=4
Hence her brother is (M-B) is 12 years younger than her.

"How old will Mary be when she is twice as old as her brother?"
From the difference we worked out above you should be able to see that 24 is the only possible age Mary will be when she is twice as old as her brother.

Okay, fairly easy "spot the pattern" question.
It may be tricky if you haven't studied sequences/series but hopefully you should be able to see that the sequence is simply "add one and double" Ie, 2, 2+1=3, 3*2=6, 6+1=7, EIGHT, 7*2=14, 14+1=15, 15*2=20

We can see that eight is the odd one out, sorry if that got confusing, I tried to make it accessible and held back from introducing notation you won't be familiar with.

This can get confusing, so sub in something your more used to:
"If all bees are insects and all insects are animals, then all bees are definitely animals?" Obviously true.

Another simple sequence question. Simply double the number before so

1, (1*2=2) , 5 , (5*2=10) , 13 , (13*2=26), 29 , (29*2=/=48)

So we can see that 48 is the odd one out.

This one is very easy if you know your times tables!

25 = Square
24 = Non-square
400 = Square
300 = Non-square
144 = Square
145 = Non-square

From the list we can see that 1600 is the only square number so "he likes that one"

Wasn't entirely sure because of the ambiguity, but I think it's 25.

Again, very simple.

1^3=1, 2^3=8, 3^3=27, 4^3=64, 5^3=125, 6^3=216

Hence ?=64

This one is all about seeing the pattern. Think of the thing as being 3d, you flip it and switch one of the lines to the top. Repeat, etc. That was my interpretation and I was almost certain that is the answer.

Haha ok thanks for taking the time to post this. I got all of them wrong im pretty sure. Im stupid /

lol i just took it again and put all the answers that you gave me and i got a score of 154 :biggrin: soo funny.

oh you forgot number 9 but never mind.
(edited 12 years ago)
I thought an IQ of about 100 was average anyway? So, even if you are going to believe these online tests, you're not stupid. I'm worried that it might become a self-fulfilling prophecy for you.
Reply 64
Original post by Piko_Piko
I thought an IQ of about 100 was average anyway? So, even if you are going to believe these online tests, you're not stupid. I'm worried that it might become a self-fulfilling prophecy for you.

ok then if you want me to put it another way i'm not smart. i always thought i was. people i know think i am. but i'm not.
Reply 65
I'd love to do a proper one. Done a fair few different online ones which willl be pure **** but come out with around 125-127 on them.
Reply 66
Original post by Pitt1988
I'd love to do a proper one. Done a fair few different online ones which willl be pure **** but come out with around 125-127 on them.

try the one in my OP.
Reply 67
try the one in my OP.

That's the one I did first actually. Thought it was pretty straight forward, apart from the number pattern ones (the harder ones anyway). Got 125 on that one.
Reply 68
That's the one I did first actually. Thought it was pretty straight forward, apart from the number pattern ones (the harder ones anyway). Got 125 on that one.

well done. everyone on here seems to be getting that score or above. i'm just below average really. really bad at maths and reasoning too, i suspect. i found the "word" questions quite straightforward but the rest was too hard for me.
Reply 69
Just did it again, bit of a cheat really because the questions are exactly the same and I'm pretty sure I know which ones I went wrong on, got 139 lol.

I don't really know the extent in which IQ tests intelligence. I mean I've got mates that, if you were to meet them, you would think they were thick as ****, but they get good IQ scores. IQ just seems more like problem solving ability, rather than knowledge in general.
Reply 70
Just did it again, bit of a cheat really because the questions are exactly the same and I'm pretty sure I know which ones I went wrong on, got 139 lol.

I don't really know the extent in which IQ tests intelligence. I mean I've got mates that, if you were to meet them, you would think they were thick as ****, but they get good IQ scores. IQ just seems more like problem solving ability, rather than knowledge in general.

i think the same website explains exactly what it measures but yeah it's pretty much intelligence, your problem solving skills reflect deeper cognitive abilities, reasoning skills and knowledge which are all components of intelligence.
Reply 71
has anyone else taken the test?
Reply 72
bump.
Reply 73
just realised i'm expected already to find a supervisor for next year. like id ever be smart enough to write a dissertation :rolleyes:

is there something else i can do instead?
just realised i'm expected already to find a supervisor for next year. like id ever be smart enough to write a dissertation :rolleyes:

is there something else i can do instead?

Yep. You can tell someone at university - somebody clever, who you trust - that you're basing your future plans and self worth on an online IQ test, the results of which vary considerably.
They should hopefully knock some sense into you.
Reply 75
Yep. You can tell someone at university - somebody clever, who you trust - that you're basing your future plans and self worth on an online IQ test, the results of which vary considerably.
They should hopefully knock some sense into you.

a funny but useless comment, lol thanks.
just wondering if there was something more vocational i could do instead.

apparently if you get enough chimps typing on a keyboard they will eventually come up with a Shakespeare play.
(edited 12 years ago)
a funny but useless comment, lol thanks.
just wondering if there was something more vocational i could do instead.

apparently if you get enough chimps typing on a keyboard they will eventually come up with a Shakespeare play.

1000 monkeys on 1000 typwriters for 1000 years, yep. Are you trying to get 1000 responses and pick the one you like? I was seriously telling you to say all this to someone you know in real life. It definately would not be useless.
Reply 77
1000 monkeys on 1000 typwriters for 1000 years, yep. Are you trying to get 1000 responses and pick the one you like? I was seriously telling you to say all this to someone you know in real life. It definately would not be useless.

i dont know what you mean. my parents already know because i asked them to take the iq test as well. they just say "yeah you're not very smart, tough luck" :dontknow:
i dont know why you think my question about the dissertation is so banal. im dyslexic anyway, i suck at writing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
He's poking fun at you.

IQ tests don't tend to reveal anything about someones motivation, and will to succeed.

As you saw, I potentially have a high IQ but I suck at getting stuff done. I procrastinate a lot more than I work.

As for that square/non square one. I guessed that. I don't really know my times tables but even if I did, wouldn't know what was square and what wasn't to be honest.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Kage
He's poking fun at you.

IQ tests don't tend to reveal anything about someones motivation, and will to succeed.

As you saw, I potentially have a high IQ but I suck at getting stuff done. I procrastinate a lot more than I work.

As for that square/non square one. I guessed that. I don't really know my times tables but even if I did, wouldn't know what was square and what wasn't to be honest.

i have a low iq and i procrastinate way too much. double whamy.

you must have some basic knowledge of maths to have an iq that high.

Quick Reply

Latest