The Student Room Group

Tracksuits

I live in Liverpool, and last night on a local phone in there was a discussion about tracksuits, the phone in host, Pete Price wants Liverpool to be made tracksuit free, I wear them a lot but don't like the way that I am immediately labelled a scally, a scumbag or a chav just because I wear clothes like that.

I don't go round causing, or looking for trouble like a lot of teenagers in Liverpool, and just want to get on with my life and keep my head down. But what right do people have to say yes, tracksuits should be banned? It's a choice of what people want to wear, and noone should take that away from you.

I hate the way people who dont like something feel so strongly about it that they go and start protests to get it stopped, there is some things people might do which I disagree with, but if it's not illegal then I wont try and get it banned, people need to learn to make sacrifices and compromises.

Saying that, once I leave school I'll probably wear better clothes than tracksuits, but I still dont think they should be banned.
Reply 1
WTF, ban tracksuits then what would you wear when going for a jog in the summer evenings, a 3 pieve suit! You are carelessly jogging along listening to eye of a tiger on your MP3 thinking your Rocky, then the old bill (a.k.a. police) pull you over and you get a glock 20 shoved in your face and a loud "FREEZE SUCKER"!
Reply 2
Personally, I must say that I find tracksuits fairly hideous (unless, of course, worn for their intended purpose, i.e. sport). Having said that, it's naive to assume that antisocial chavs will suddenly change their ways if they are made to wear, say, chinos instead. Pity - it would be nice if it worked... :smile:
tracksuits are horrible thy look like pajamas but it is your choice to wear them.

rockers wear studded bracers and dog collars and have chains attached to their belts (well skaters anyway) and they wear boot that weigh half a stone each (i love my new rocks) all of which can come under weaponry of some shape or form but no one tries to ban them thankfully.
a chav on the recieving end of a full pelt new rock kick to the stomach aint getting up for a long time..........again thankfully.

i dont agree they should be banned simply because of the stigma attached to them
Reply 4
Cadre_Of_Storms
tracksuits are horrible thy look like pajamas but it is your choice to wear them.

rockers wear studded bracers and dog collars and have chains attached to their belts (well skaters anyway) and they wear boot that weigh half a stone each (i love my new rocks) all of which can come under weaponry of some shape or form but no one tries to ban them thankfully.
a chav on the recieving end of a full pelt new rock kick to the stomach aint getting up for a long time..........again thankfully.

i dont agree they should be banned simply because of the stigma attached to them

When I went to Manchester last year there were a bunch of girls wearing pajamas outside of a pub, I thought some sought of fancy dress party or something, but then I saw some more in another pub, I asked them WTF and they told me it was the fashion!!!!
Reply 5
One must feel pity for the underclass who are so poor they must wear their PE kit outside the normal PE time.
Remember, 'a girl in tweed is a lady indeed'
Also why is white trash so loud, and feel the need to make comments about the most silly things? Such as my running leggings? I needed to tell the individual 'it' was simply jealous that I was fit enough and did enough keep fit to be able to have a toned body which looks wonderful in tight sportswear. It took great offence when I translated my outburst into the usual gutter level grunts which is the normal mode of comms amongst this breed of animal, 'You fat tart'
There is a stigma attached. There are a variety of entities to blame. Media representation stirs some shít and general ill-feeling towards things/issues. You've probably watched 'Little Britain' - utter load of horrible, prejudicial tóss if you ask me, not funny just horrible discrimination of various groups which have been treated like lambs to the slaughter. There's a clip of a girl in their 'comedy' sketches regarding her dress resembling that of the so-called chav, the gold bling, tracksuits and so forth. I hold no resentment towards chavs nor to any other group as long as they don't cause grief or harm others in their respective cultures, cultures of cultures etc.

Such programmes like LB unfortunately can help mould and influence public opinion and stirs a culture hatred of sorts, it can incite dislike, even to the extreme extent that is hatred. Quite frankly its pathetic, yet figures such as Walliams et al get bowed down to for their open bullying antics - a not so nice reflection on the public therefore.

The mocking of supersized people, the breastfeeding antics of mother and mature son, the urination scenes of old women in supermarket aisles - it's so sad and unfortunate that such material is commissioned and is aired for public consumption. I might get shot down down to stop being so dictatorial, freedom of expression and all of that - but there's a limit isnt there....of course the definition of the limit is what much the controversy is about.
Reply 7
Its ridiculous to ban tracksuits just because of the stigma attached, Yes the connotations of somke people who wear it are negative and to be honest I dont like them, But that doesnt mean you can ban something that infringes peoples right to wear what they want..

Its almost as if they see the tracksuits having some magical power of the wearer.. Sending them forth to cause trouble..! Go My trackies.. Go! Mwahahah.
Reply 8
Hanzing
............Its almost as if they see the tracksuits having some magical power of the wearer.. Sending them forth to cause trouble..! Go My trackies.. Go! Mwahahah.

Fly my pretties fly, muahahahahahah (monkeys fly from a dark evil castle wearing lacost trackies and nike shoxs).
Reply 9
Anyone know where you can get the Swiss track jackets? The ones that the Curlers are wearing are really nice, but I can't find a similar anywhere.:frown:
Reply 10
i love my trackies...more comfortable than trousers or jeans. dont give a **** if people think im a chav as frankly im probably far more intelligent than anyone worrying about such labels
Reply 11
Maybe people who suggest banning trackies or hoodies etc should look at the PEOPLE who are commiting crimes etc rather than what they dress like. Clothes dont make a person a scally its their attitude, like normal certain people in power wont tackle the root cause but think my banning certian clothes will solve the problem!
No one is trying to ban tracksuits.
Tracksuit is an anagram of "a sick strut".
Says it all.
Reply 14
mipmapped
Tracksuit is an anagram of "a sick strut".
Says it all.

Huh. I thought that the term track suit originated in the States when referring to the outfits that members of track and field teams would wear as warm up clothing. :rolleyes:
wizard
There is a stigma attached. There are a variety of entities to blame. Media representation stirs some shít and general ill-feeling towards things/issues. You've probably watched 'Little Britain' - utter load of horrible, prejudicial tóss if you ask me, not funny just horrible discrimination of various groups which have been treated like lambs to the slaughter. There's a clip of a girl in their 'comedy' sketches regarding her dress resembling that of the so-called chav, the gold bling, tracksuits and so forth. I hold no resentment towards chavs nor to any other group as long as they don't cause grief or harm others in their respective cultures, cultures of cultures etc.

Such programmes like LB unfortunately can help mould and influence public opinion and stirs a culture hatred of sorts, it can incite dislike, even to the extreme extent that is hatred. Quite frankly its pathetic, yet figures such as Walliams et al get bowed down to for their open bullying antics - a not so nice reflection on the public therefore.

The mocking of supersized people, the breastfeeding antics of mother and mature son, the urination scenes of old women in supermarket aisles - it's so sad and unfortunate that such material is commissioned and is aired for public consumption. I might get shot down down to stop being so dictatorial, freedom of expression and all of that - but there's a limit isnt there....of course the definition of the limit is what much the controversy is about.

yea but its as funny as hell (yeah i know)

Latest

Trending

Trending