The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE PHYSICS UNIT 2 PHY2H January 2012 Unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

so you think ill get 38, lowest 34 and if i get 34 you'll think ill get an A8 if not definately a A?
Reply 221
Original post by Aarongreatbanks
so you think ill get 38, lowest 34 and if i get 34 you'll think ill get an A8 if not definately a A?

Basically !!
I doubt i will i imagine i've done terrivble but thanks for your assistance
Original post by USB
I think it's Uranium -235 that fissile, not -238.

You are correct. uranium 238 is unfissionable, when we enritch uranium we have a 2-3% pure lump of uranium 235 the rest is uranium 238 but is not used up. The correct answer will be uranium 235 and nothing else will be accepted not even just uranium :smile:
Reply 224
Original post by Rhys.Jones
You are correct. uranium 238 is unfissionable, when we enritch uranium we have a 2-3% pure lump of uranium 235 the rest is uranium 238 but is not used up. The correct answer will be uranium 235 and nothing else will be accepted not even just uranium :smile:

Uranium alone will be accepted. There's been questions like this on pastpapers, and all of them have accepted just the element, not requiring the number.
if I'm being pessimistic I got aroun 28/45, if I'm optimistic I got around 31/45. What grade is this??
28 A 31 could be an A* or strong A
Reply 227
I think I got 43/44 out of 45 on this paper after going through it with my teacher.

I got the question about the cricket ball's velocity (4.8) wrong and thats pretty much all.

Is that a 100 UMS marks? I really want 100... sorry if I seem like I am bragging, just worried.
Original post by Sukura
I think I got 43/44 out of 45 on this paper after going through it with my teacher.

I got the question about the cricket ball's velocity (4.8) wrong and thats pretty much all.

Is that a 100 UMS marks? I really want 100... sorry if I seem like I am bragging, just worried.

yes definately 37 upwards i guess is 100 UMS
1a) Friction between the pipe and the beads causes electrons to be transferred from the pipe to the beads and negatively charged
ii) 75cm cubed beads
iii) As size increases, charge decreases
b) All of the charges decrease as the pipe is shorter so there is less friction
c) Fine particles- dont need as strong spark to ignite them
ii) Earth the pipes
iii) Temperature, pressure and other variables might affect the MEI value/ results
2a) Nuclear fusion is the joining together of small nuclei to form large nuclei whilst nuclear fission is the splitting up of large nuclei to form small nuclei. Nuclear fusion needs extreme temperatures to take place whilst fission doesn’t.
ii) Heat
b) i) Uranium -235/238
ii) Same number of protons
3a) Constant speed, accelerating, decelerating
b)thinking distance?
ii) worn tyres
c) i said the size would be smaller due to the crumple zone reducing the force exerted on the car and the direction is towards the car.
ii) To measure the force exerted on the dummy
iii) 10m/s^2
4 a) 2V
ii) i done a curve going through 2,0.8 and then rising up to 12...
iii) Because voltage increases?
b) 108J
5 a) Pudding was positive with an equal but opposite charge to the electrons
b) Experiments didn’t support pudding model but supported nuclear model
ii) went straight through going not near any nucleus as it wasnt deflected, then i said for B that they were near a nucleus as positive deflected them a little bit and C hit the nucleus deflecting all of alpha particles
c) Results provided evidence for Rutherford’s theories suggesting his theories are right
6a) 98,000 J
b) 5.6 kgm/s
ii) 5600N
iii) Increases time catching the ball, decreasing the rate of change of momentum, reducing the force on the fielder’s hand.
grade? mark? guys help :P
Reply 230
Original post by metaltron

The problem is that I'm sure the average score on here would be higher than the average score in the country, the best way to do it would be to compare the difficulty to the other January exams and modify the boundaries. What do you think? I'll post my thoughts soon

By doing that, I would get an A*. I'm also guessing that everyone here is a 'decent' student by any mens. Anyway, I got these results. I'm still fixated on 35 marks. Hope its enough.
Hello

Regarding P2, I was looking for your opinion

On the braking distance question, it said describe the second section of the image which was the braking distance but because they described the thinking distance as " the distance travelled by the vehicle in the time taken for the driver to react" I put " the distance travelled by the vehicle during the time that the braking force Is applied" do you think that i will get the mark for that?
Reply 232
I think you probably will. For that same question I talked about the time taken for the brakes to stop the car but I think that'll be a mark as all they were probably looking for was the term 'breaking distance'.
Can somebody please tell me is this ISA for gcse physis core science??? the topic im doing is generating electricity i need help
I think I got 29, how many UMS do you think that is and what grade?

thanks

Saviour
Original post by Saviour
I think I got 29, how many UMS do you think that is and what grade?

thanks

Saviour

should be an A i hope :smile: probably 88UMS?
Reply 236
:eek::cool:
1a) Friction between the pipe and the beads causes electrons to be transferred from the pipe to the beads (3)
ii) Volume of beads (1) Other correct variable as well
iii) As size increases, charge decreases (1)
b) All of the charges decrease as the pipe is shorter so there is less friction (2)
c) Fine particles- smaller particles have a higher charge due to surface area (1)
ii) Earth the pipes/ make pipes from antistatic material / shorten the pipes (1)
iii) Temperature, pressure and other variables might affect the MEI value/ results (1)
2a) Nuclear fusion is the joining together of small nuclei to form large nuclei whilst nuclear fission is the splitting up of large nuclei to form small nuclei. Nuclear fusion needs extreme temperatures to take place whilst fission doesn’t. (2)
ii) energy/ heat (1)
b) i) Uranium -235 (1) or just Uranium
ii) Same number of protons (1)
3a) Constant speed, accelerating, decelerating (3)
b)The distance travelled whilst the car is breaking (1)
ii) Speed (1)
c) 5000N on the car (to the left in the diagram) (1)
ii) To measure the force exerted on the dummy (1)
iii) 4 m/s^2 (3)
4 a) 2V (2)
ii) Straight line from origin to (2,0.8) Curved line from (2,0.8) to (12,2) (2)
iii) The filament lamp becomes hotter, (voltage increases faster than the current????) (1)
b) 108 J (2)
5 a) Pudding was positive with an equal but opposite charge to the electrons (1)
b) Experiments didn’t support pudding model but supported nuclear model (1)
ii) Most of the atom is empty space so many particles travelled through without being deflected (1) Nucleus is small and has positive charge so deflects reasonably nearby alpha particles slightly (1) Nucleus has a large mass and strong positive charge so deflects nearby alpha particles by large angles (1)
c) Results provided evidence for Rutherford’s theories suggesting his theories are right (1)
6a) 98 J (2)
b) 9.6 kgm/s (2)
ii) 9600N (1)
iii) Increases time catching the ball, decreasing the rate of change of momentum, reducing the force on the fielder’s hand. (2)

was thetre any erroe in the paper and also how did everyone find it
the results are coming out on the 8th of march
:colondollar:
Reply 237
Guys, what could come up in my unit 2 paper in May... i'm revising all the topics in the book, but any specific ones i should really concentrate on just in case? Also, any suggestions for chemistry and biology?
Reply 238
Results Thursday!
Got this paper tomorrow and my result will decide if i do higher or foundation, how did everyone find it? and is the mark scheme completely correct?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending