The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Some advice for freshers next year...

Hey guys, just thought I'd share a few thoughts just based on what I've experienced so far and what I wish I'd done differently.

Firstly, DON'T whatever you do apply for en-suite, although not completely appauling, they are worse than the alternative options which also happen to be far cheaper.

I applied for en-suite last year as I really thought sharing a bathroom with a few other people wouldn't be great fun. Yet in reality there are two main halls for en-suite: Ancaster and Cavendish, both of which are far worse than many of the other halls for facilities, bedroom size and various other things I'll get onto later, yet cost the most out of all of the rooms on campus.

In reality, you're getting some of the worst rooms out of any catered hall, with a closet of a bathroom which has a really weak, old shower - often with an old shower curtain - that you'll have to duck in to use if you're over 5'11 (the shower head at its max height is under 6'). What's worse is that there is no width in the showers, meaning you've got little room to wash yourself. The sink is also absolutely tiny, and not good for washing your face / doing washing up etc. Cavendish and Ancaster are both like this, and I've seen a huge selection of rooms from both halls so I know that I didn't just get unlucky. Both hall's rooms are the same size and have the same furnishings: pretty small relative to most other rooms on campus and a combination of yellow and blue paint, which just looks cheap, and makes the rooms feel very depressing and boring. Furthermore, most people seem to have a single bed in these rooms, when other halls seem to have 3/4s or doubles.

In addition to this the halls themselves aren't great for layout / facilities, and really not as friendly as some of my friend's halls. An example: if you miss meals because of sport in other halls you can have food held back. In ours I was told 'sorry we all go home and we're not allowed to leave you food wrapped up, it's against health and safety'. Basically translated into 'sorry it's too much effort for me to leave you food out'.

Basically the bathroom isn't enough to warrant the extra £1000 on the room type I'd suggest: a large single study.

These rooms are usually in far nicer halls with better furnishings, wider corridors, double beds and, in most cases, better facilities. My friends who have these rooms types are honestly having a laugh. Having spent far less than me they have a room around 50-75% larger than mine, larger windows, a large sink in the corner of the room, a built in wardrobe, larger, more comfortable beds, generally nicer buildings, and their 'shared' bathrooms are basically big rooms a few metres down the corridor with multiple larger, more powerful showers, a bath (or two), and 3 toilets. Practically anyone you talk to in an en-suite feels conned by what we've been given, so here's your warning - don't get one!

Another point is gym membership on campus. I'd personally avoid it at all costs if you're just planning on using it for weight training. They rope you in for an initial £200 fee (which you can't get out of), but then you're subjected to overcrowding to the point where you can't really work out without waiting around between every exercise for the equipment. The main reason for this is that the uni gym seems to allow members of the public to use it, and seems to have no membership limit, which results in utter carnage. There are better local options for less money. If you're looking to use it more for the pool, sports hall and cardio equipment, and are not really into lifting weights, then I wouldn't be so against it.

Hope this helps!

*Edit.
Don't get me wrong Nottingham is a great uni. But these two things have really annoyed me, especially the issue of room quality and meal times - they weren't made clear and many of us feel incredibly ripped off. Both issues can be prevented by applying for a 'large single study' or 'single study' (not as good but still better than en-suite imo). The halls with the en-suites (Cav, Ancaster mainly) are pretty much all en-suite which means that whilst most people who request it will end up there (there are a few elsewhere but not many), there are very few rooms that aren't en-suite in the halls, so you'll end up elsewhere. As Cav and Ancy have the same rules (due to sharing certain members of staff, I think), and are both two of the worst halls in terms of facilities, location and room quality, you'll end up somewhere far nicer. Plus most large single study rooms are in Cripps, Hugh Stu, Lincoln or Nightingale (among others). All of which are sick.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for the tip! I was dead set on applying for en-suite until I read this.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
the only thing that will put me off from Nottingham is the accomidation! unless your going to broadgate park, the rest is all old !
Reply 3
Original post by revisionnightmare

Hey guys, just thought I'd share a few thoughts just based on what I've experienced so far and what I wish I'd done differently.

Firstly, DON'T whatever you do apply for en-suite.

I applied for en-suite last year as I really thought sharing a bathroom with a few other people wouldn't be great fun. Yet in reality there are two main halls for en-suite: Ancaster and Cavendish, both of which are far worse than many of the other halls for facilities, bedroom size and various other things I'll get onto later, yet cost the most out of all of the rooms on campus.

In reality, you're getting some of the worst rooms out of any catered hall, with a closet of a bathroom which has a really weak, old shower - often with an old shower curtain - that you'll have to duck in to use if you're over about 5'11. What's worse is that there is no width in the showers, meaning you've got little room to wash yourself. The sink is also absolutely tiny, and not good for washing your face / doing washing up etc. Cavendish and Ancaster are both like this, and both rooms are the same size and have the same furnishings: pretty small relative to most other rooms on campus and a combination of yellow and blue which just looks cheap and aids to the room feeling very depressing and boring. Furthermore, most people seem to have a single bed in these rooms, when other halls seem to have 3/4s or doubles.

In addition to this the halls themselves aren't great for layout / facilities, and really not as friendly as some of my friends halls. An example: if you miss meals because of sport in other halls you can have food held back. In ours I was told 'sorry we all go home and we're not allowed to leave you food wrapped up, it's against health and safety'. Basically translated into 'sorry it's too much effort for me to leave you food out'.

Basically the bathroom isn't enough to warrant the extra £1000 on the room type I'd suggest: a large single study.

These rooms are usually in far nicer halls with better furnishings, wider corridors, double beds and, in most cases, better facilities. My friends who have these rooms types are honestly having a laugh. Having spent far less than me they have a room around 50-75% larger than mine, larger windows, a large sink in the corner of the room, a built in wardrobe, larger, more comfortable beds, generally nicer buildings, and their 'shared' bathrooms are basically big rooms a few metres down the corridor with multiple larger, more powerful, showers, a bath (or two), and 3 toilets. Practically anyone you talk to in an en-suite feels conned by what we've been given, so here's your warning - don't get one!

Another point is gym membership on campus. I'd personally avoid it at all costs, if you're just planning on using it for weight training. They rope you in for an initial £200 fee (which you can't get out of), but then you're subjected to overcrowding to the point where you can't really work out without waiting around between every exercise for the equipment. The main reason for this is that the uni gym seems to allow members of the public to use it, and seems to have no membership limit, which results in utter carnage. There are better local options for less money.

Anyway, hope this helps somewhat.

I can solve your problems in one word: SPC.

Yes it is off campus but our bathrooms are much nicer (we do have ensuites but it feels worth it - like there's an actual shower cubicle instead of just the wetroom that some of the halls on Jubilee have). I haven't seen a UP ensuite so wouldn't know how to compare it.

It's self catered so food whenever you like - I know people who miss dinner quite a bit on UP or have to eat early so are starving by the time its time to go out.

The gym is free here.

:awesome:

I would also say to freshers don't be too put off by what he's saying - Nottingham is a great uni nonetheless!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
So what's the best room type to get in your opinion?
Reply 5
This sounds like a **** uni.
Reply 6
Original post by Jin3011

Original post by Jin3011
So what's the best room type to get in your opinion?

I would say it's a lot down to personal preferences: do you want to cook or not? do you want an ensuite or not? go and have a look around, I would say most of the accomodation on UP is really pretty and actually our accomodation is really good :smile:
:thumbsup:

I didn't even remember posting - was just browsing 0.o
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by natty_d
I would say it's a lot down to personal preferences: do you want to cook or not? do you want an ensuite or not? go and have a look around, I would say most of the accomodation on UP is really pretty and actually our accomodation is really good :smile:

When can you look around the accommodation before applying?
When I had a tour, we only had the option of looking at one studio room in Broadgate Park and I've already seen large single rooms in Willoughby and Nightingale halls about 2 years ago, but that's all.
Reply 9
Original post by Jin3011

Original post by Jin3011
When can you look around the accommodation before applying?
When I had a tour, we only had the option of looking at one studio room in Broadgate Park and I've already seen large single rooms in Willoughby and Nightingale halls about 2 years ago, but that's all.

When I applied, we only had a tour around campus halls and so I chose SPC off the back of what I didn't want :p:

I'm not sure if you have an option of going around all the halls or that you can ask to be taken around them. But there are photos/tour things of all the rooms (I think) on the accommodation part of the Nottingham website.

Have a look here:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/accommodationoptions/accommodationoptions.aspx
Reply 10
Original post by natty_d
When I applied, we only had a tour around campus halls and so I chose SPC off the back of what I didn't want :p:

I'm not sure if you have an option of going around all the halls or that you can ask to be taken around them. But there are photos/tour things of all the rooms (I think) on the accommodation part of the Nottingham website.

Have a look here:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/accommodationoptions/accommodationoptions.aspx

Last question:biggrin:
After firming Notts, do they send out information on applying for accommodation?
Thanks.

In reality, you're getting some of the worst rooms out of any catered hall, with a closet of a bathroom which has a really weak, old shower - often with an old shower curtain - that you'll have to duck in to use if you're over about 5'11. What's worse is that there is no width in the showers, meaning you've got little room to wash yourself. The sink is also absolutely tiny, and not good for washing your face / doing washing up etc. Cavendish and Ancaster are both like this, and both rooms are the same size and have the same furnishings: pretty small relative to most other rooms on campus and a combination of yellow and blue which just looks cheap and aids to the room feeling very depressing and boring. Furthermore, most people seem to have a single bed in these rooms, when other halls seem to have 3/4s or doubles.

In addition to this the halls themselves aren't great for layout / facilities, and really not as friendly as some of my friends halls. An example: if you miss meals because of sport in other halls you can have food held back. In ours I was told 'sorry we all go home and we're not allowed to leave you food wrapped up, it's against health and safety'. Basically translated into 'sorry it's too much effort for me to leave you food out'.

These rooms are usually in far nicer halls with better furnishings, wider corridors, double beds and, in most cases, better facilities. My friends who have these rooms types are honestly having a laugh. Having spent far less than me they have a room around 50-75% larger than mine, larger windows, a large sink in the corner of the room, a built in wardrobe, larger, more comfortable beds, generally nicer buildings, and their 'shared' bathrooms are basically big rooms a few metres down the corridor with multiple larger, more powerful, showers, a bath (or two), and 3 toilets. Practically anyone you talk to in an en-suite feels conned by what we've been given, so here's your warning - don't get one!

Another point is gym membership on campus. I'd personally avoid it at all costs, if you're just planning on using it for weight training. They rope you in for an initial £200 fee (which you can't get out of), but then you're subjected to overcrowding to the point where you can't really work out without waiting around between every exercise for the equipment. The main reason for this is that the uni gym seems to allow members of the public to use it, and seems to have no membership limit, which results in utter carnage. There are better local options for less money.

The ensuite wasn't as bad as your making it out to be! It was actually much nicer than the room I was placed in on my first day of medlink, but was then transferred to the en-suite on the second day.

The first was a single study, and the bathrooms were shared. Whats put me off the shared - for life - was when I walked into the toilet after another individual had come out, and they said "sorry about the smell". I didn't go in.
Not to mention the old furniture. Oh and the study desk stretched on for miles. It gave off this air of hauntedness. Dim lights. Yes it is a lot bigger, but if I had the choice, it would be the en-suite.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't really mind about the size of a bed... i'm used to a single anyway. It doesn't make it anymore comfortable
Reply 13
Original post by Jin3011

Original post by Jin3011
Last question:biggrin:
After firming Notts, do they send out information on applying for accommodation?
Thanks.

Yes, they do, I think. Keep checking on the website as well though. I think the applications open soon, it was first come, first served last year.
Reply 14
Original post by natty_d
Yes, they do, I think. Keep checking on the website as well though. I think the applications open soon, it was first come, first served last year.

Reply 15

All this is a bit sweeping. Son had an en suite in Rutland hall. They have a whole new block of en suites and his room was really nice if a little small. He certainly enjoyed it. And despite all the silly stories, Rutland is a good hall.
Reply 16
Original post by James A
the only thing that will put me off from Nottingham is the accomidation! unless your going to broadgate park, the rest is all old !

im in Cripps Hall and personally i think it has the best rooms, it might be an old hall but my room is huge and i pay for a single study but i get a large single study size.

Don't be put of by old halls, they actually are quite nice.
Original post by Sandra1993
im in Cripps Hall and personally i think it has the best rooms, it might be an old hall but my room is huge and i pay for a single study but i get a large single study size.

Don't be put of by old halls, they actually are quite nice.

hi there! just had an interview/open day and i think i went to lenton and wartely. i loved it infact! definetly firming it for pharmacy if i get an offer!
Reply 18
Original post by James A
hi there! just had an interview/open day and i think i went to lenton and wartely. i loved it infact! definetly firming it for pharmacy if i get an offer!

Interview went well I imagine?
Original post by Jin3011
Interview went well I imagine?

yeah it went really well, her facial expressions were good and she was interested in my responses. and yeah i went in a room full of computers. very impressed actually. the teaching labs were very nice and the community pharmacy practice area. yeah met some really friendly people too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending