The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Some advice for freshers next year...

Scroll to see replies

I want en-suite but I cater for myself? What should I do and where should I stay?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by TimetoSucceed
I want en-suite but I cater for myself? What should I do and where should I stay?

Have a look at Broadgate Park, SPC or Raleigh Park :smile:
Reply 42
[QUOTE="AT1719;36415828"]hey guys just wondering do foundation students participate in freshers? or is it only for first year students ?[/QUOTEF
Foundation students are still freshers. Enjoy it.
Reply 43
[QUOTE="olddad;36434420"]
Original post by AT1719
hey guys just wondering do foundation students participate in freshers? or is it only for first year students ?[/QUOTEF
Foundation students are still freshers. Enjoy it.

will do thank you !! cant wait !! but what is freshers exactly
[QUOTE="AT1719;36436322"]
Original post by olddad

will do thank you !! cant wait !! but what is freshers exactly

A week consisting of alcohol, meeting new people, getting yourself settled in, joining new societies etc. But mainly alcohol.
Reply 45
[QUOTE="aimlessinwonder;36456072"]
Original post by AT1719

A week consisting of alcohol, meeting new people, getting yourself settled in, joining new societies etc. But mainly alcohol.

It doesn't have to include alcohol but probably will. Just settle in, learn the ropes and enjoys. Join a few societies. They help to make new friends.
What are private shared bathrooms like? I'm finding it a bit difficult to picture the "communal corridor" it mentions on the website. Does it mean that there are only 2 people on your corridor? Also, is it worth getting a private shared bathroom over a single study?
Reply 47
Original post by KatieTheFish
What are private shared bathrooms like? I'm finding it a bit difficult to picture the "communal corridor" it mentions on the website. Does it mean that there are only 2 people on your corridor? Also, is it worth getting a private shared bathroom over a single study?

basically you have a hall with 6 rooms but threes doors of it. then in each of those three doors you have 2 bedrooms and and a bathroom
Original post by Sandra1993
basically you have a hall with 6 rooms but threes doors of it. then in each of those three doors you have 2 bedrooms and and a bathroom

Ahh that makes sense now, thank you :smile: Does that make it quite isolated in comparison to a single study?
Reply 49
Hi, I'm an international student and will be going to Uni of Nottingham this sept. It'll be my first time to go to the Uk. I would like to know about the accommodation for example which hall is the best and what type of room would you prefer (not very expensive but at the same time comfortable.) Do you have to share your room with other students, and if yes then how many ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
Thanks for the advice! I was dead set on getting en-suite until I read this. Thanks a million!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 51
Original post by KatieTheFish
Ahh that makes sense now, thank you :smile: Does that make it quite isolated in comparison to a single study?

in my hall, half of the blocks are single studies and half are private shared bathrooms and it doesn't seen like the blocks with private shared bathrooms are more isolated then single studies. I am in a single study and for me sharing the bathroom is no problem.
Reply 52
Original post by parth92
Hi, I'm an international student and will be going to Uni of Nottingham this sept. It'll be my first time to go to the Uk. I would like to know about the accommodation for example which hall is the best and what type of room would you prefer (not very expensive but at the same time comfortable.) Do you have to share your room with other students, and if yes then how many ?

1. great im international aswell youll love it!
2.there are no best halls only opinions you need to make your mind if you want catered (on campus) or self catered (off campus) and go form there
3.unless you want to for financial or other reasons you will not have to share a room. the standard single study is all you u need and anything above that is just a bit of expensive luxury on the top in my opinion.
Reply 53
Original post by gunneroy
1. great im international aswell youll love it!
2.there are no best halls only opinions you need to make your mind if you want catered (on campus) or self catered (off campus) and go form there
3.unless you want to for financial or other reasons you will not have to share a room. the standard single study is all you u need and anything above that is just a bit of expensive luxury on the top in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be going for catered (on campus) .There are 14 catered halls where most of them are on University Park Campus so I have no idea which hall to choose , if you can help me out a bit through your knowledge and experience.

thanks
Original post by olddad
Not really - depends what you want. I knew someone in Cripps. It was bloody awful over there- noisy and permanently messy.

Ignore this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. I live in Ancaster and what OP and yahyahyahs both say rings true and I didn't even ask for an ensuite.

Original post by Arpeggi
Regarding most beds being singles, I'm not sure about Cavandish but in Ancy I know that most of my mates all have doubles, with the odd exception (may I add that you will struggle to find any other hall on campus with a larger proportion of doubles to singles..)

As mentioned I'm in Ancy and everyone on my block who has an ensuite also has a single. I'm in C block. You must either be in A, E or F.

Arpeggi
I don't know what happened to you with the food being held back, as once a week I have my food held back and there's no problem whatsoever...

This term I arranged to pick up food after training sessions. The porter always has to go looking for it and it's lunch - sandwiches and other crap. Hardly what I want to be eating after 2 hours of a hard work out.
Reply 55
Original post by alexs2602
Ignore this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. I live in Ancaster and what OP and yahyahyahs both say rings true and I didn't even ask for an ensuite.

As mentioned I'm in Ancy and everyone on my block who has an ensuite also has a single. I'm in C block. You must either be in A, E or F.

This term I arranged to pick up food after training sessions. The porter always has to go looking for it and it's lunch - sandwiches and other crap. Hardly what I want to be eating after 2 hours of a hard work out.

Eerrr. On the one occasion I was in Cripps, at about 9 at night, there were empty bottles and pizza boxes lying about in the halls. As far as ai am concerned, it was messy.
Um... I don't mean to butt in here, but surely a hall can't be deemed as being 'messier' than the others year after year.

Isn't it the type of people in the hall that determine whether somewhere is going to be noisy and messy?
Reply 57
Original post by helen-a-ravenclaw
Um... I don't mean to butt in here, but surely a hall can't be deemed as being 'messier' than the others year after year.

Isn't it the type of people in the hall that determine whether somewhere is going to be noisy and messy?

Was thinking the same thing:tongue:
Reply 58
Original post by helen-a-ravenclaw

I quite agree. I was just a bit put off it at the time.
Original post by olddad
Eerrr. On the one occasion I was in Cripps, at about 9 at night, there were empty bottles and pizza boxes lying about in the halls. As far as ai am concerned, it was messy.

And that is my point. You've only been there for one night. Not a whole year like me. That is my hall's JCR every morning - a mess. It's not because of every student but students party, students get drunk and yes, students will leave a mess.

Unless you live in halls now you can't comment so leave the people who do live in halls to inform the potential freshers.

Edit: As a note, cleaners do clean up the JCR every morning too. And I'd much rather live in Lincoln, Cripps, Hu Stu and the like.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending