The Student Room Group

Most annoying thing people do at University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AJ2890
Repeating stories about their gap years over and over again all the time. AGGGGHHHHH.

That reminds me of this time, in Syria(h)..
Walking around with just a towel on. Please, put some clothes on!

He got into trouble when the fire alarm went off (practise) and was just wearing a towel.
People complaining about "surviving" on "hardly anything" moneywise, when they actually get/earn quite a lot of money compared to most students, but who:
- crank the heating up to 30C
- go out EVERY chance they get, and take taxis home when they live 5 minutes' walk away
- insist on having "the best" of *everything*, ie, nicest flat/food/drink/clothes/music equipment/phone, etc etc.

:rolleyes: Learn to BUDGET! Ffs. As a student, you have to accept that (generally, unless you're rich or something) you won't be able to afford the best EVERYTHING. So, you prioritise what's important to you, be it eating 20p pasta so you can go out clubbing more often, or keeping your old brick of a phone or whatever.
I know a fair few students who seem to think it's their right to live like kings. They claim to "need" the fancy flat, the nicest this that and the other, etc, all at the same time. Remember: you can have *anything* you want, but you can't have *everything* you want.

dude! i was eating dorritos ! f-you!
drunk ugly brits girls that walk barefoot after the club...we definitely dont have things like that in my country.
Original post by almalibre11111
drunk ugly brits girls that walk barefoot after the club...we definitely dont have things like that in my country.

what country are you from
Reply 426
People who take the lift to go down one floor! Seriously, it's not even like walking down stairs is that big a hassle, but to do it for one floor!? Ridiculous.
Original post by almalibre11111

Maybe you should go back there then you complete waste of space.

I assume everyone who negged is someone living in the uk who doesn't deserve to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 2ndClass
People who like to go into monologues in tutorials.

Lol I'm surprised it took up to page 3 to get this one! Can't stand when someone starts telling their life story to get to a point that could've been said in two sentences. :biggrin:
Original post by jeh_jeh
First of all, thanks for the charming opening line!

My point is that say if you share with three or four other people, if they all left "a plate and a couple of pots" lying around, I'm sure the sides and/or sink would be pretty congested (at least, going off my experiences of the size and available space in student kitchens). And, again, in my experience, people usually share utensils (unless you're lucky enough to have enough separate storage space, I guess?) - keeping them separate strikes me as somewhat obsessive... after all, it's not like any kitchen needs multiple colanders, multiple potato mashers, multiple vegetable peelers, etc. :s-smilie:

Well, okay, seems like we have different experiences; but, in my opinion, there is a difference between a kitchen being clean and a kitchen having no mess - our student kitchen can be tidy but dirty quite a lot of the time. And also, student kitchens probably get more mess because at home there's maybe one or two people who do the bulk of the work in the kitchen, whereas in student houses obviously everyone has to look after themselves... at least, that's how it's worked in my experience.

"...I do clean up after myself when I make a mess." Your twelve hour gap between using stuff and tidying up might not make a difference to you, but it's so annoying to have to move other people's stuff to use communal areas. I'm fairly sure your house isn't run as a dictatorship - why not actually talk to your housemates (since, unless you're a first year, you chose to live with them... and if you are a first year, hall mates can make pretty good ready-made housemates) and see if you can come to a compromise that makes them less irritated about the mess you make (you might call it OCD, but they might call it basic standards of hygiene) and make you feel like the rota is more to your liking?

I'm sorry but I pretty much completely disagree with this. If four people in a house each left a plate, knife, fork and small baking tray or something out then you could stack these up (baking trays, then plates, then cutlery) and not take up much space at all. When the next person finishes eating they have the option to wash up straight away or add to the pile. If you choose to leave things on the side then you have to be willing to get them out from under other people's stuff when you want to wash up.

And for things like plates and cutlery you do need seperates as there's bound to be occassions when you all want your dinner at about the same time. If you use some shared utensil that you only have one of then it can be annoying to others to leave it 12 hours but if it's your own stuff and it's not taking up all the space then it's nobody else's business when you wash it up providing you don't let it get to a point where it's growing mould and stinking the kitchen out.
The kitchen. Leave it as you found it. It's just ****ing common courtesy and people shouldn't need to be told that in the kitchen you don't steal other peoples food, and you don't leave it in a mess if it's communal.

Oh. And talking in lectures. I'm afraid. That even if you're whispering it can be very distracting for the other people around you who are actually trying to pay attention.
Every single lecture this girl arrives 20 minutes late. But she doesn't go quietly to the back, instead she walks right to the front and then pauses to read what's on the board before sitting down.
Original post by limetang
The kitchen. Leave it as you found it. It's just ****ing common courtesy and people shouldn't need to be told that in the kitchen you don't steal other peoples food, and you don't leave it in a mess if it's communal.

Oh. And talking in lectures. I'm afraid. That even if you're whispering it can be very distracting for the other people around you who are actually trying to pay attention.

I understand the kitchen situation, however, at the end of the day people have very different ideas of standards. I'm fairly relaxed, but as long as it's tidy, clean and no smelly rubbish I'm happy. However, I know that some people like it spotless, so I always try and make sure it's above my standards so that it satisfies theirs as well. As for talking in lectures it can be annoying, but it rarely happens to my lessons.

What annoys me is laundry rooms - people never collect theirs on time, and I end up having to wait ages for a machine. If you're over 5-10 mins late and you know it, don't bother - do it at another time. Other people have things to do too!
Original post by Inseriousity.
Lol I'm surprised it took up to page 3 to get this one! Can't stand when someone starts telling their life story to get to a point that could've been said in two sentences. :biggrin:

Arggghrrrr we have someone like that in a tutorial.. And it's always the same one! I swear all of us just start rolling our eyes when he speaks :rolleyes: And he doesn't get it! I wonder how he writes essays, he probably spends 2000 words blabbering on something that could've been summed up in 2 sentences.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
I understand the kitchen situation, however, at the end of the day people have very different ideas of standards. I'm fairly relaxed, but as long as it's tidy, clean and no smelly rubbish I'm happy. However, I know that some people like it spotless, so I always try and make sure it's above my standards so that it satisfies theirs as well. As for talking in lectures it can be annoying, but it rarely happens to my lessons.

What annoys me is laundry rooms - people never collect theirs on time, and I end up having to wait ages for a machine. If you're over 5-10 mins late and you know it, don't bother - do it at another time. Other people have things to do too!

Having different standards of cleanliness is fine if it's your own kitchen. And while I don't expect it to be spotless I do expect people to clean and put away their things after they're finished with them as opposed to dumping plates pots and pans in the sink completely unwashed. It's a communal kitchen. You should leave it in a situation where someone doesn't have to do 10-15 minutes work cleaning away someone elses stuff just so they can start cooking.

As for the laundry situation. While it's inconsiderate there is a solution. If someone has not collected their laundry and there are no other machines. The solution is to simply take it out, put it somewhere safe, and clean, and put yours in.
Reply 435
Original post by Shadowplay
Arggghrrrr we have someone like that in a tutorial.. And it's always the same one! I swear all of us just start rolling our eyes when he speaks :rolleyes: And he doesn't get it! I wonder how he writes essays, he probably spends 2000 words blabbering on something that could've been summed up in 2 sentences.

Isn't that what essays are basically about?
Reply 436
Original post by StacFace
I'm sorry but I pretty much completely disagree with this. If four people in a house each left a plate, knife, fork and small baking tray or something out then you could stack these up (baking trays, then plates, then cutlery) and not take up much space at all. When the next person finishes eating they have the option to wash up straight away or add to the pile. If you choose to leave things on the side then you have to be willing to get them out from under other people's stuff when you want to wash up.

And for things like plates and cutlery you do need seperates as there's bound to be occassions when you all want your dinner at about the same time. If you use some shared utensil that you only have one of then it can be annoying to others to leave it 12 hours but if it's your own stuff and it's not taking up all the space then it's nobody else's business when you wash it up providing you don't let it get to a point where it's growing mould and stinking the kitchen out.

If they did that, and just that, then fine - but in my experience people also leave saucepans, frying pans and sharp knives. Maybe I've always lived in houses that have an unusually small amount of work space, but I live with three others, and the side does start to get cluttered. Besides which, plates that are left in a pile for days are such a pain to clean compared with if you wash them straight away.

Sorry, but I pay to use that kitchen - it's a communal area - so people should have the courtesy to put their stuff away and keep the place clean. So, it IS my business if people leave dirty plates on the side. You only have an even bigger pile of washing to do if you leave it, anyway!

We obviously have enough stuff so that we can all eat whenever we want (plus guests), but we don't have enough space to store it separately - so it all goes in one cupboard. So, y'know, it's not great if someone uses your saucepan to mash potatoes and then leaves it for days - what are the chances of being able to get all that dried on potato off easily?!
Original post by jeh_jeh
If they did that, and just that, then fine - but in my experience people also leave saucepans, frying pans and sharp knives. Maybe I've always lived in houses that have an unusually small amount of work space, but I live with three others, and the side does start to get cluttered. Besides which, plates that are left in a pile for days are such a pain to clean compared with if you wash them straight away.

Sorry, but I pay to use that kitchen - it's a communal area - so people should have the courtesy to put their stuff away and keep the place clean. So, it IS my business if people leave dirty plates on the side. You only have an even bigger pile of washing to do if you leave it, anyway!

We obviously have enough stuff so that we can all eat whenever we want (plus guests), but we don't have enough space to store it separately - so it all goes in one cupboard. So, y'know, it's not great if someone uses your saucepan to mash potatoes and then leaves it for days - what are the chances of being able to get all that dried on potato off easily?!

If people are leaving things that take up lots of space on the side then fair enough, but the poster you replied to was saying they should be able to make a snack or something without having to wash up straight away, which implies to me they used a plate and maybe a knife & fork, not big pots and pans.

You do pay to use the kitchen but so do the others. So since they are also paying they should have some of the side space to leave pots if they wish. Whether they have a bigger pile of washing to do or things are harder to wash up doesn't effect you, it's them who will have to deal with that. And some people prefer to wash up several things together than always wash things straight away, I'm one of them. It seems pointless to me to get the washing up liquid out and run the hot water just for a plate, when I can fill the sink and do it together at the end of the day.

Where it all goes doesn't really affect things, unless they're putting their dirty pots back in the cupboard with your clean stuff. And using your stuff is a completely different issue, I agree if someone uses your saucepan they should clean it pretty much straight away, and definately shouldn't leave it for days until you have to do it because you want to use it. I'm talking about people using their own stuff and not washing it.
Reply 438
Original post by StacFace
If people are leaving things that take up lots of space on the side then fair enough, but the poster you replied to was saying they should be able to make a snack or something without having to wash up straight away, which implies to me they used a plate and maybe a knife & fork, not big pots and pans.

You do pay to use the kitchen but so do the others. So since they are also paying they should have some of the side space to leave pots if they wish. Whether they have a bigger pile of washing to do or things are harder to wash up doesn't effect you, it's them who will have to deal with that. And some people prefer to wash up several things together than always wash things straight away, I'm one of them. It seems pointless to me to get the washing up liquid out and run the hot water just for a plate, when I can fill the sink and do it together at the end of the day.

Where it all goes doesn't really affect things, unless they're putting their dirty pots back in the cupboard with your clean stuff. And using your stuff is a completely different issue, I agree if someone uses your saucepan they should clean it pretty much straight away, and definately shouldn't leave it for days until you have to do it because you want to use it. I'm talking about people using their own stuff and not washing it.

I just think it's really bad manners. I wouldn't dream of doing it at home, so why it's somehow acceptable at uni I'll never know.

This is my point, though - the kind of people who leave their mashed potato incrusted saucepan out seem also to be the kind of people who never get round to washing it up, and then I get sick of seeing it there. Okay, so you could say it's my fault - but I don't think being intolerant to dirty pans is a massive crime. Fair enough if you genuinely do it at the end of the day, but the majority of people I know who are like this don't.

I mentioned the shared cupboard space because no one in my house really thinks, "Oh, this is x's pan, I'll make sure it gets washed up" because it all comes from the same place. So then, yes, I do find that my stuff is left piled on the sides for days on end. And, no, we don't have extra storage space in the kitchen, and it's not practical to keep it in my room.

I just wonder whether people are going to be like this when they've got their own houses and kitchens. Being a student isn't some automatic get-out clause from all responsibility.
Original post by Linweth
Isn't that what essays are basically about?

Hmm I'm always told to be concise in my essays and always got good grades :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest