The Student Room Group

Most annoying thing people do at University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zangoose
"... I would HAVEjust stayed in bed."

For goodness' bloody sake, you're a university student who still needs to be taught the basics of English. This is exactly why I despise the blighted education system in this godforsaken country.

Who p***** on your cornflakes? :rolleyes:
Liberal Arts.
Original post by Historiana
Talking in the silent zone of the Library, when you're trying to concentrate on something/an essay.

Much worse when there are TWO WHOLE floors for talking on, in the same building, and which have space.....

Really, really annoys me when people come up to the silent floor and start either a full blow conversation or loudly answer a phone call.

I work in my room. It's quite quiet really. I think everyone must go to the library to have their noisy conversations.
Being late for lectures; the same people for the whole 3 years.

Standing at the front of the bus, even when there are plenty of seats, forcing old people to squeeze past them.

Being clueless about the real word (mainly in money terms).
Original post by Tpx

Being clueless about the real word (mainly in money terms).

What exactly do you mean by that?
Talking in the silent zone of the Library, when you're trying to concentrate on something/an essay.

Much worse when there are TWO WHOLE floors for talking on, in the same building, and which have space.....

Really, really annoys me when people come up to the silent floor and start either a full blow conversation or loudly answer a phone call.

Gotta say I don't experience this much, if people talk around me in the library it's usually in hushed tones. Even then it's ****ing annoying. I find audible whispers as distracting as loud chatter. It's the fact that there's speech going on in the vicinity that's the distraction, not the noise per se.
Original post by TimmonaPortella

Gotta say I don't experience this much, if people talk around me in the library it's usually in hushed tones. Even then it's ****ing annoying. I find audible whispers as distracting as loud chatter. It's the fact that there's speech going on in the vicinity that's the distraction, not the noise per se.

Agreed.

I also get really irritated by people whispering in lectures, particularly if it's in a lecture theatre that doesn't have great sound. I can just hear the 'hissing' of whispering as I try to concentrate/take notes, which drives me insane!

I'm definitely one of those people who has to have complete silence when working, or a 'followable' speech in the background (like a lecture, a lecture recording, podcast, radio show etc).
Reply 766
Complaining that they don't get enough money for their student loan

THEN saying they feel bad for living off their parents

THEN going out 3 nights/week spending upwards of £20 on alcohol each time and then having to call their parents up to ask for more money!
Agreed.

I also get really irritated by people whispering in lectures, particularly if it's in a lecture theatre that doesn't have great sound. I can just hear the 'hissing' of whispering as I try to concentrate/take notes, which drives me insane!

I'm definitely one of those people who has to have complete silence when working, or a 'followable' speech in the background (like a lecture, a lecture recording, podcast, radio show etc).

I use latex earplugs in the library and in exams now, they're awesome. You can get them for £5 at boots. They block out the sound way better than those crappy foam ones.
Original post by TimmonaPortella

Hmm... I wasn't very clear. I'm on the committee for a society, and it is hard to get events sorted out because some people don't want us to spend money. We need to in order to have good events, and we have collected £100s in membership money, which we are not meant to hoard.

So, I should have been more presicise; I meant people not understanding how much things cost in the real world (e.g. that a speaker we book to talk would want travel and accommodation paid).
Ask if they can borrow money for a pint. And never return the favour when they have some money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending