The Student Room Group

Most annoying thing people do at University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GermanScientist
but I can't understand what they're saying either :frown:

And why should that matter? What if they don't want people to intrude on their conversation?
Reply 141
I once heard some girls in a lecture complain about having to be there when there was an exam coming up and they could have been revising. At the end of the lecture... "Spoons?"
Reply 142

you win

/thread
Reply 143

"There is a bus service operated by OÖVV between Schärding and Eggerding which makes stops at Unter****ing (Lower ****ing) and Ober****ing (Upper ****ing)"

:rofl:
Original post by rainbow drops
People using phrases like "I miss your face" and "let's do a coffee date soon!". Cringeeee.

Lol if someone said this to me, i'd punch them in the kidneys!!! :tongue:
Original post by Wave
The previous post about the semen blocking toilets at manchester uni and the fact that my friend said there was a furore over some semen found on the floor at a UCL hall means this seems to be a more serious problem than I thought. I used to think these "no masturbation" uni notices were a myth. Why in the toilet though? Why not in your room where it's comfier and you have your computer?

Just came across this, not sure why anyone couldn't wait till they got home though, I thought at first all of them was a myth too. I like how they tell you to keep an eye on anyone who spends an excessive amount of time in the bathrooms, I assume it is a serious problem at halls though as with all these notices from different universities popping up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
There's a woman in one of my classes that is dyslexic and needs some extra help, which is fair enough. But she abuses this to the max. I swear to god she is treated like she is fully disabeled. TBH it's not the free laptop she got, it's not the free £120 smart pen that records what you write that she got, it's not an unlimited supply of yellow paper she gets whilst others have to pay for their own pads and sometimes even notes. It's not the fact she has gets to park her car on campus, whilst everyone else needs to park 20 miles aways. It's not the fact that she is allowed to walk in late to a lecture and demand that I move from my seat because this is the only seat she can clearly see and read the board from (despite there being a vacant seat next to me). It's not even the fact that she is a mature student and only found out she had dyslexia last year, depite being in education about a billion times and now all of a sudden she is treated like she has a severe disability because well let's face she merely finds it slightly harder to read than the rest of us. No it's not any of those things.

What annoys me is that despite only being dyslexic that she gets to choose when she sits an exam, it's the fact that she will have a lecturer spend the whole class tutoring her and thus having no time for anyone else. It's the fact that she is allowed extra tutorials for an exam. It's the fact that all her lecturers barring one will give in to any request she makes. The other day we had an exam on single phase systems, and it's decently difficult stuff, but we had 3 months to prepare for it. However she asked to have an extra week to revise and despite the class lecturer telling her no, the head of department overrulled this and allowed her the extra week. And it get's worse, in the exam you are told specifically to use equations such as voltage division in complex form etc, you are able to find the answer without doing this, but if you do not do it this way and still get the answers right you will not get the marks. Which is quite right as the whole point of that module is to learn these various forms of calculation. But according to her she it's 'too difficult for her to understand' and has asked our lecturer that she be exempt from doing it this way and should be allowed to do it the easier way. However my lecturer was having none of it, and told her no, in a polite manner. He explained if he let her get away with doing the exam the easy way, when she goes into industry and is told to make calculations, they will not bend the rules for her, and she cannot work to the standard they need her to work, then she wont keep the job very long. Too which she was furious and told him he was being unfair and didn't aknowledge her "disability" and then told him to '**** off, you baldy bastard'. He then asks her to leave the class, but she goes to the head of department, makes up some cock and bull sob story that she constantly uses about how unfair it is that she has a "disability" and has too much going on in her life to study as she is a single mum, blah blah blah load of old *******s. Anyway long story short, the head of department is going to allow her to take the exam the way she wants to take the exam. And because my single phase lecturer refused to give her the marks is she doesn't do it properly, the head of department will mark it instead. Which means she will gain the same qualification as me and the rest of my class despite not doing the same level of work. :facepalm:

wow... sounds like she might have aspergers aswell, to be honest... id never ever ever say to someone's face that they are a bastard! well... heh... unless it is deserved :wink:

im not at uni yet... but the boyfriend is...

another annoying thing is when they dont turn up for lectures. at all. then sit the test (dont know if they passed it)

apparantly when this guy in question who only comes to the tests went up to the teacher to hand in the test, the teacher said "see you next test".... he was very chuffed with himself for 5 minutess apparantly :biggrin:
Original post by megfashion
wow... sounds like she might have aspergers aswell, to be honest... id never ever ever say to someone's face that they are a bastard! well... heh... unless it is deserved :wink:

im not at uni yet... but the boyfriend is...

another annoying thing is when they dont turn up for lectures. at all. then sit the test (dont know if they passed it)

apparantly when this guy in question who only comes to the tests went up to the teacher to hand in the test, the teacher said "see you next test".... he was very chuffed with himself for 5 minutess apparantly :biggrin:

Well she says she has anger management issues or something. But she definitely abuses her situation and it's becoming increasingly unfair and annoying for the rest of us.

:zomg:

:toofunny:
Original post by Wookie42
Wear flip-flops everywhere in the winter, what is this?

:facepalm:
Original post by samiz20891
For the cleaners, this:

:rofl: Omg what is this I can't even....
Well judging by the responses on this thread, I most certainly can't wait to started university this year :s-smilie: :erm:

I guess I better remember to try to get an en-suit room with my own mini-fridge...............and maybe go for catered halls..................
Original post by DrunkenMaster
'Beach towelling' (people unofficially reserving computers by leaving their stationary and paperwork there for ages),

this grinds me too.

I lack in social graces sometimes so it never is much of a problem for me.

Few weeks ago I needed a computer badly to finish off a third year essay. There was one computer amongst a group of friends and a half hearted attempt to 'beach towel' it. So i went to use it and some guy told me that someone was using it. So instead of backing off, i moved the mouse to take the screensaver off and check if anyone was logged on. Nope, nobody was logged on. Thus, computer = fair game. I pissed off about 20 people with that little stunt, but crucially did not piss off the course leader. I hate people who group up and think that they can just hold a computer for a friend at a busy time! It is a library you skets, not a social room. And if your friend WAS using it, then he should remain logged on to avoid this sort of thing!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 153
There's a woman in one of my classes that is dyslexic and needs some extra help, which is fair enough. But she abuses this to the max. I swear to god she is treated like she is fully disabeled. TBH it's not the free laptop she got, it's not the free £120 smart pen that records what you write that she got, it's not an unlimited supply of yellow paper she gets whilst others have to pay for their own pads and sometimes even notes. It's not the fact she has gets to park her car on campus, whilst everyone else needs to park 20 miles aways. It's not the fact that she is allowed to walk in late to a lecture and demand that I move from my seat because this is the only seat she can clearly see and read the board from (despite there being a vacant seat next to me). It's not even the fact that she is a mature student and only found out she had dyslexia last year, depite being in education about a billion times and now all of a sudden she is treated like she has a severe disability because well let's face she merely finds it slightly harder to read than the rest of us. No it's not any of those things.

What annoys me is that despite only being dyslexic that she gets to choose when she sits an exam, it's the fact that she will have a lecturer spend the whole class tutoring her and thus having no time for anyone else. It's the fact that she is allowed extra tutorials for an exam. It's the fact that all her lecturers barring one will give in to any request she makes. The other day we had an exam on single phase systems, and it's decently difficult stuff, but we had 3 months to prepare for it. However she asked to have an extra week to revise and despite the class lecturer telling her no, the head of department overrulled this and allowed her the extra week. And it get's worse, in the exam you are told specifically to use equations such as voltage division in complex form etc, you are able to find the answer without doing this, but if you do not do it this way and still get the answers right you will not get the marks. Which is quite right as the whole point of that module is to learn these various forms of calculation. But according to her she it's 'too difficult for her to understand' and has asked our lecturer that she be exempt from doing it this way and should be allowed to do it the easier way. However my lecturer was having none of it, and told her no, in a polite manner. He explained if he let her get away with doing the exam the easy way, when she goes into industry and is told to make calculations, they will not bend the rules for her, and she cannot work to the standard they need her to work, then she wont keep the job very long. Too which she was furious and told him he was being unfair and didn't aknowledge her "disability" and then told him to '**** off, you baldy bastard'. He then asks her to leave the class, but she goes to the head of department, makes up some cock and bull sob story that she constantly uses about how unfair it is that she has a "disability" and has too much going on in her life to study as she is a single mum, blah blah blah load of old *******s. Anyway long story short, the head of department is going to allow her to take the exam the way she wants to take the exam. And because my single phase lecturer refused to give her the marks is she doesn't do it properly, the head of department will mark it instead. Which means she will gain the same qualification as me and the rest of my class despite not doing the same level of work. :facepalm:

Wow. Just Wow.

People like that disgust me. They just make it harder for people with more serious problems. I have AS and I get a free laptop ( so I can be more organised plus im too poor to afford my own), extra exam time ( because I did a test at great ormond street and my hand eye coordination speed were judged to be slower than average) and a mentor to meet and help me with the non academic sides of things (because I need extra help to get socially involved and organise life in the real world) I never ever try and make excuses to make the work easier like that woman is doing. The aim of the assistance as was clearly stated to me was to make the course as easy for me as it is for everyone else, not any easier. That woman is dyslexic all she needs help with if any is reading and understanding the lecture notes and texts.

A "good guy Greg" meme moment but when I was first offered the laptop I refused it on the grounds that I already ahd a PC. However the pain of lugging a full size gaming pc around plus the damage that it took in doing so means I recently took the laptop offer.

+ rep for your post.
Original post by chronic_fatigue
What the hell is that?!?!?
My bedroom is right next to the kitchen so I know how you feel :frown:.
I pretty much agree with everything people have said so I might just add a few stuff I haven't really seen:

-People in seminars who don't bring any material or open their mouths same with people in practicals who sit back an make you do all the work
-Freeloaders who you never see in lectures or hardly go, they only bother to call or talk to you when they need help or results from a practical for coursework.
-I find it weird that now people at university, everyone rushes to go to the gym usually with the intention of losing a few lb and/or getting fit and you get people who always brag about going to the gym. Most0 people still have terrible diets and they can't be bothered walk up a few flights of stairs, girls tend to do this more.

I suspect it was once a pack of hot dogs. Delish.
Original post by AJ2890
Oh my god. What even is that?!

We think it may have been hot dogs once upon a time. Who's hungry?
Reply 156
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
We think it may have been hot dogs once upon a time. Who's hungry?

That just made me cry
Reply 157
My girlfriend goes to university and her mates lived with this guy who was so bad, you think it's bad that some people steal your butter or steal your milk, this guy used to steal teatowels and socks so he could wipe his arse with them after a ****, because he was too lazy to go and buy toilet roll.

He didn't even throw them out either, he just stuffed them down the radiator or behind his wardrobe.

This pisses me off. I have a problem with my brain. Whilst this means that I can't explain myself and can look at something, state the correct answer and not tell you why, I would not expect to get full marks for this. Extra time, fair enough; but to miss out a piece of important information, no. (at school I was told that if you gave workings out and gave the wrong answer, you were still given some marks)

Whilst I'm all for reasonable adjustments, this really is taking the piss.
Reply 159
I get annoyed when a specific friend sits next to me when he has a cold and insists on blowing his nose really loudly throughout the lecture. He is probably one of the loudest I have ever heard surely he can be quieter.

Also when people say they have barely done any work or started revision late etc when you know they have probably been doing loads.

Quick Reply

Latest