The Student Room Group

How much would it cost to fit a Hummer H2 with Bullet proof windows?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
After realising how cheap Hummer's are, I've decided when I'm older I will aim to buy one. However, Im thinking it would attract attention in the wrong way. How much would it cost to put windows in to stop people trying to get in. For example, if someone came with a crow bar, they wouldn't get in. Otherwise, if someone broke in, it'd be a waste of money

Thanks

Are you aware that Hummer's are American? Meaning, the steering wheel is on the left hand side of the car. When I came here from Cali about 8 years ago, my parents thought it'd be a good idea to ship over their car. Big mistake. Everything is structured with cars with steering wheels on the right hand side in mind, toll booths, drive-throughs even the positioning of signs are placed for cars with steering wheels on the right. Also it is even more awkward at traffic lights, because you're right next to drivers in other cars.

I really wouldn't get an American car at all. It's not suited for this country, most of the land here is flat, there are negative views of people who drive Range Rover's and they aren't even as big as the cars you get in America. People who I've come across who drive Hummer's usually live in the Hills, or Texas, they really aren't as popular as people think.
Original post by Tippy.
Are you aware that Hummer's are American? Meaning, the steering wheel is on the left hand side of the car. When I came here from Cali about 8 years ago, my parents thought it'd be a good idea to ship over their car. Big mistake. Everything is structured with cars with steering wheels on the right hand side in mind, toll booths, drive-throughs even the positioning of signs are placed for cars with steering wheels on the right. Also it is even more awkward at traffic lights, because you're right next to drivers in other cars.

I really wouldn't get an American car at all. It's not suited for this country, most of the land here is flat, there are negative views of people who drive Range Rover's and they aren't even as big as the cars you get in America. People who I've come across who drive Hummer's usually live in the Hills, or Texas, they really aren't as popular as people think.

Thank you guys, you've made me realise that it'd be impractical. I will buy an expensive land rover.

Original post by JC.
I've got an American V8 engine in my car? :confused:

By loud I meant being completely different to anything here. A hefty proportion of our cars are either German or French, and it just seems as though American cars wouldn't really fit in well with the kind of models that are sold here?

I take it by Chevy Tahoe you meant the big SUV with the square head headlights and the fat tyres? With the gear stick being next to the steering wheel?
Reply 23
Original post by Please Register
By loud I meant being completely different to anything here. A hefty proportion of our cars are either German or French, and it just seems as though American cars wouldn't really fit in well with the kind of models that are sold here?

I take it by Chevy Tahoe you meant the big SUV with the square head headlights and the fat tyres? With the gear stick being next to the steering wheel?

The vast majority of vehicles sold in Britain are made by Ford or GM :biggrin:

American cars these days are largely becoming global cars rather than US specific models, economies of scale for modern cars no longer make it feasible to manufacture for a single market unless it is a bottom of pyramid product designed for 3rd world countries.

Many Hummers are made in RHD configuration, but I think that is only for the H3 model. The rest if you see one most likely it was converted.

Original post by Herr
The vast majority of vehicles sold in Britain are made by Ford or GM :biggrin:

American cars these days are largely becoming global cars rather than US specific models, economies of scale for modern cars no longer make it feasible to manufacture for a single market unless it is a bottom of pyramid product designed for 3rd world countries.

Many Hummers are made in RHD configuration, but I think that is only for the H3 model. The rest if you see one most likely it was converted.

First I was going to write majority are German or French, then I wasn't so sure so I wrote what I wrote :tongue:

But now I come to think of it, the cars I see when driving, BMWs, Audis, Peugeots, Renaults, Citroens, Volkswagens, Fiats, Mercedes, Skodas, they all seem to be more in number than Vauxhalls, Fords, Mazdas, Toyotas, Lexuses, Nissans, Kias (though these are on the rise).

Really? Isn't that a strange decision seeing as it is an American car? And if it was produced for export then the majority of countries use left hand drive cars if I'm not mistaken?

I don't like the Hummer in any case. Too Brash.
Thank you guys, you've made me realise that it'd be impractical. I will buy an expensive land rover.

Dude, keep on dreaming...

Pointless owning such a car in the UK, you would need to be a rich spoilt brat to even afford its fuel costs, let alone maintenance, servicing, spare parts, insurance, RHD conversion... List goes on. Especially during UNI??

If you wanna have such a car, well then move to the USA if you can. Otherwise you can stay stuck with the boring euro barges that are called cars that this country has to offer. (Like me.)

Yes, I know, I feel for you.

On the other hand, there are a few select American cars that can be owned in the UK without breaking the bank completely, PM me if you want me to elaborate on this.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro

Pointless owning such a car in the UK, you would need to be a rich spoilt brat to even afford its fuel costs, let alone maintenance, servicing, spare parts, insurance, RHD conversion... List goes on. Especially during UNI??

If you wanna have such a car, well then move to the USA if you can. Otherwise you can stay stuck with the boring euro barges that are called cars that this country has to offer. (Like me.)

On the other hand, there are a few select American cars that can be owned in the UK without breaking the bank completely, PM me if you want me to elaborate on this.

Ok thanks, I will PM you.
Reply 27
You say it's cheap, prepare to spend all your money on petrol.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro

I cant PM you, so Ill write it below:

What car do you think I should get for Sixth form? I like the largestyle of Jeeps, as they're practical and safer. Id also like it as cheap as possible and used. Any suggestions? Id like to spend about £500-700
I cant PM you, so Ill write it below:

What car do you think I should get for Sixth form? I like the largestyle of Jeeps, as they're practical and safer. Id also like it as cheap as possible and used. Any suggestions? Id like to spend about £500-700

Troll?
Surely?

Anything big, at high school, you're looking at >4k for insurance. Then you've got to fuel a jeep... in the UK... at >£1.30 a litre, that's going to cost thousands a year too.

You want a car for high school and uni? get something small that's cheap to fix, unless you're the heir to a million-quid fortune or something...

Original post by JC.
I've got an American V8 engine in my car? :confused:

Yes, but I'd wager your car isn't a full foot wider than a range rover :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TShadow383
Troll?
Surely?

Anything big, at high school, you're looking at >4k for insurance. Then you've got to fuel a jeep... in the UK... at >£1.30 a litre, that's going to cost thousands a year too.

You want a car for high school and uni? get something small that's cheap to fix, unless you're the heir to a million-quid fortune or something...

I was just told by a guy on the previous thread Land Rovers are cheap to insure. I'd rather have no car than have a boring Citreon C1
Reply 31
Original post by Please Register
First I was going to write majority are German or French, then I wasn't so sure so I wrote what I wrote :tongue:

But now I come to think of it, the cars I see when driving, BMWs, Audis, Peugeots, Renaults, Citroens, Volkswagens, Fiats, Mercedes, Skodas, they all seem to be more in number than Vauxhalls, Fords, Mazdas, Toyotas, Lexuses, Nissans, Kias (though these are on the rise).

Really? Isn't that a strange decision seeing as it is an American car? And if it was produced for export then the majority of countries use left hand drive cars if I'm not mistaken?

I don't like the Hummer in any case. Too Brash.

Many Hummers were made in South Africa for export to RHD countries and GM made quite a few of the H1 RHD as well as they were trying to sell them for military use to some countries, it didn't find too many customers as it was about the same time the Humvees were getting a lot of bad-rep in Afghanistan due to the IEDs.
Original post by kopite493
a crow bar would cause the window to shatter tis not shatter proof tis bullet proof

^Most retarded statement I've ever read.
Reply 33
Original post by TShadow383
^Most retarded statement I've ever read.

A bullet proof window will still shatter on impact and you can easily smash such a window with a crowbar.

For most cars, it is built on a combination of 3 layered glass with various armours between them, so the outer layer will still shatter on impact but the bullet won't break past the glass. Unless of course you use a Gatling gun on that window.
Reply 34
Bulletproof windows are useless without armouring the whole car professionally.

If you want a 4x4 have a look at pickup trucks, their more reasonable on tax and insurance since their classed as commercial vehicles.
Reply 35
LOL. Have you even passed you driving test yet?

Also the insurance is going to be a bitch, the road tax will murder you and the fuel costs will bleed you dry. How exactly are you going to pay for all this?
You know what they call Hummers? Compensation cars, if you catch my drift. :wink:

Seriously, why the hell would anyone buy a Hummer unless they lived in a war zone or are a paranoid the-end-of-the-world-is-near freak? It's a complete and utter waste.
Unless you live in downtown Baghdad, I wouldnt bother.
Reply 38
After realising how cheap Hummer's are, I've decided when I'm older I will aim to buy one. However, Im thinking it would attract attention in the wrong way. How much would it cost to put windows in to stop people trying to get in. For example, if someone came with a crow bar, they wouldn't get in. Otherwise, if someone broke in, it'd be a waste of money

Thanks

I will do it for you, come to Loch Ness in Scotland. I only need about tree fiddy.
Reply 39
Ahh man, oh well...
Well firstly its quite spacious. Secondly, they look AMAZING. Thirdly it runs on LPG so its cheaper Tax. Fifth, fuel is cheaper as its LPG, but then again its not very efficient. Sixth, its pretty cheap for looking cool. Only 15k for something that looks great, whilst most good looking cars are like 30k. Also, Id feel quite safe. As I'd be a beginner driver I may crash. Being encrusted in what is essentially an army vehichle, you'd be pretty safe on a motorway.. :smile:

Can I just offer some sensibile advice (aside from man they are ugly as **** get your eyes tests).
Even on LPG they will eat fuel and the taxation is a tiny cost of the upkeep of a large american car, especially on LPG which is tempermental at the best of times.
If you buy a second hand H2 for 15k with LPG conversion it's going to be ****ed.
As a beginner driver you'd never insure it (especially with LPG which are extremely expensive to insure for experienced drivers) and you'd likely struggle with positioning and parking, they are very very big cars and size is no indication of durability.
They look like miltary vehicles but they are very different in practise, terrible offroad, poor to drive from what I've heard. Very plasticy inside.

Also, to fit with bullet proof windows would cost more than the cars worth, or anything in you car would be worth.

Head, clouds, get it out mate honestly. It's an unrealistic idea from the outset, theres a reason no one bothers with a H2 in this country, it won't make you arnold schwartzenegger.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending