The Student Room Group

FP1 Jan 2012 Edexcel - Post exam discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TheJ0ker
I agree, but for an FP1 paper this was average difficulty believe it or not....

You may be correct, i only did the june 2011 past paper so i don't have much knowledge of FP 1 past papers. I thought that at least one challenging question may appear in the paper but there wasn't a single. Overall, FP1 is easy, the only chapter from which challenging questions can be asked is the induction one, while the induction questions in the exam were quite straight forward.
Reply 61
Original post by Beresford George
For the simultaneous ones, I done both ways and got the same answer to double check, so Im sure thats fine.

Which simultaneous equations? Which question are you talking about?
Original post by raheem94
Which simultaneous equations? Which question are you talking about?

For the matrix question, where it was like BA^2 = A or something. I worked it out two different ways. One being the one on the mark scheme and the other being the simultaneous method.
Reply 63
For the matrix Question, BA^2=A, I worked out A^2 then put B to (a,c), (b,d), and worked it out simultaneously, would I get all the marks, as I did get the correct answer.
Original post by MissMath
For the matrix Question, BA^2=A, I worked out A^2 then put B to (a,c), (b,d), and worked it out simultaneously, would I get all the marks, as I did get the correct answer.

I did both methods of working it out, and got the same answer. I reckon you would get the marks. Its a valid method.
Guys I lost two marks because I took the height of the triangle as 4 instead of 3 :frown:
Original post by anuradha_d
Guys I lost two marks because I took the height of the triangle as 4 instead of 3 :frown:

Dude, i did the same thing *pats back* D: Rest of what i did is right though !
Reply 67
Oh dear I only wrote the focus, forgot about the directrix :frown:
Original post by bennybaruch
do you think I'll get any marks if I did Z1/Z2 for question 1 c)

Does anyone know?
Reply 69
100% up until question 9a when I managed to get x + p^2y = 3p.

This lead to my answer to b) being x + q^2y = 3q.

Which lead to my answer to c) being ((3pq)/(p+q), 3/(p+q))..

How many marks lost in total? Suppose (b) is gone entirely as it was only one mark, and it'll probably be A1, but I'll get 3/4 for (a) and (c) surely?

(to save you the effort of re-checking the mark scheme, every 3 should have been a 6)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BalletDystopia
Dude, i did the same thing *pats back* D: Rest of what i did is right though !

High five.
Has anyone done predicted grade boundaries yet?
Reply 72
You may be correct, i only did the june 2011 past paper so i don't have much knowledge of FP 1 past papers. I thought that at least one challenging question may appear in the paper but there wasn't a single. Overall, FP1 is easy, the only chapter from which challenging questions can be asked is the induction one, while the induction questions in the exam were quite straight forward.

Yes induction is the only subject which can be hard, proving the series of r^3 can cause people problems and is generally seen as a 'trickier' proof. This test wasn't any harder or easier than the average.
Reply 73
Original post by bennybaruch
Does anyone know?

No, you will not get any marks.
Original post by JOR2010
Exactly the same story here. I got to the line about p^2y + 6p = q^2y + 6q, then just didn't know where to go... now that I see it, it's not that difficult! D:

Hopefully we got 1/4 xD
For the proof of the nth term, would we need to say that it works for u1, u2 and u3 or could we just have proved the base case i.e. u1. I did think that the first part of the question was a bit weird but... alas.
Original post by zactissue
Cheers

I'd +rep you a million times if I could

Ah, but you can. Make another 999,999 tsr accounts and +rep the OP.
Original post by Edwin Okli
For the proof of the nth term, would we need to say that it works for u1, u2 and u3 or could we just have proved the base case i.e. u1. I did think that the first part of the question was a bit weird but... alas.

The ones after u1 aren't necessary to prove the general statement. If it's proven for n=1, u2, u3, etc are (by induction) true anyway. The first part of Q7 was just testing whether you knew how to use the recurrence formula.
Reply 78
They want an approximation equal to 3d.p. so you will probably lose the accuracy mark. In such questions you have to take the exact values forward, not rounded values.

I just did it again and using 0.725 as x1 I still get 0.724 anyway, which is the right answer. Would I probably lose a mark for substituting x1 = 0.725? I got the right approximation equal to 3 d.p...

As long as I don't lose a mark for that, should be 100 UMS.
Reply 79
Original post by snow leopard
The ones after u1 aren't necessary to prove the general statement. If it's proven for n=1, u2, u3, etc are (by induction) true anyway. The first part of Q7 was just testing whether you knew how to use the recurrence formula.

Original post by Edwin Okli

I think that you may not score full marks if you just proved for n=1. The value of U1 was given in the question, and in such cases we prove the next value as well, so proving U2 might also be necessary. In this question we also found U3, so i think we should have proved that as well, but i am not sure will they cut any mark for not proving U3, but i do think that proving U2 was necessary.
The question was by no means weird.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending