The Student Room Group

Stuck between 2 Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Barrerayy

Well i kinda ruled out Southampton cause i heard that it was a bit too disciplined and the city was kinda dull . Sussex will probably be my choice

I'm going to Sussex too next year :smile: Can i just say, in terms of computer science Southampton is by far the best, but in terms of overall rank they're pretty even (Southampton more traditionally prestigious, however Sussex is growing too). I agree with you about not just choosing your university due to rank; i had an offer from Sheffield, who are ranked higher for my subject, but i liked Brighton too much to care.

So many people on here obsess over prestige, but you will be living in the area for 3 years so you have to like it. Brighton is one of the best cities to live in as a student and i'd agree that Southampton isn't exactly thrilling.
Reply 21
Original post by swbp
Traditionally, yes, however Sussex's reputation is on the up. Both are solid 1994 group members and i'd say that bar Exeter they are the best South Coast universities :smile:

Exeter? Really? That uni has only got into the top 20 in tables in the last few years, and it doesn't perform at all on international tables.

Soton is one of the best places to go for CS, and it does really well (and always has done) on both domestic and international tables,and it;s a RG uni.

Jus' saying-I know CS is a popular degree, and it is hard to get jobs in the field, so a degree from a place like Soton may just give people who do CS a great CV boost.
Hello Everyone

I am an international student and i want to study in the UK . I've done my applications etc and got a response from UEA , Kingston , Sussex , UCLAN and Southampton ( Not Solent ) They all sent me an offer . I'll have to study Foundation first then i want to study Computer Science . Problem i i cant choose between Kingston and Sussex . Kingston offers a sandwhich year which Sussex doesnt . Is ıt really important to do a sandw. year to be able to find a job later on or is it a thing companies use to get cheap labor . Any response would be appreciated

southampton is easily the best out of all of those....it's one of the best in the country for CS....

kingston/UCLAN is more of an advanced IT course

UEA/sussex are good...but nowhere near soton
Reply 23

Original post by fnm
Exeter? Really? That uni has only got into the top 20 in tables in the last few years, and it doesn't perform at all on international tables.

Soton is one of the best places to go for CS, and it does really well (and always has done) on both domestic and international tables,and it;s a RG uni.

Jus' saying-I know CS is a popular degree, and it is hard to get jobs in the field, so a degree from a place like Soton may just give people who do CS a great CV boost.

I agree completely that Southampton is the best for CS, no question :smile:

I still think that Exeter is a strong university though; just because it's only j entered recently the top 20 doesn't make it inferior. Infact, I'd say that shows that it's a growing university that could climb further in the future.

Also, just because it's RG doesn't mean it's instantly brilliant; Queens University Belfast is Russell Group, and though it's a great university, it isn't as good as half the 1994 members like Durham, Bath and St Andrews.
Reply 24
Original post by swbp

Also, just because it's RG doesn't mean it's instantly brilliant; Queens University Belfast is Russell Group, and though it's a great university, it isn't as good as half the 1994 members like Durham, Bath and St Andrews.

I totally agree, but it's just the way the public, media and therefore many employers see the group. Though as a group of unis, the RG are clearly the best as a whole. But yeah, everyone also knows those unis, and York are also fantastic :smile:
Reply 25

Original post by fnm
I totally agree, but it's just the way the public, media and therefore many employers see the group. Though as a group of unis, the RG are clearly the best as a whole. But yeah, everyone also knows those unis, and York are also fantastic :smile:

It's so annoying that the media see it that way isn't it? I think that the 1994 are all fantastic, yet no ones seems to credit them :/
Reply 26
Original post by fnm

Southampton is ranked 28th in the Guardian and 19th in the Times.
Reply 27
Original post by Magnentius
Southampton is ranked 28th in the Guardian and 19th in the Times.

True, also 14th in CUG and 75th in one of the world tables lately. Domestically it's always done well, it's been ranked 11th a few times overall in the past. If you go look on wiki, and other sites there's a list of results from 90s to present. I mean Exeter was ranked 45th by one in 2005, and has only been around and above 20s in last couple of years...don't get me wrong I think Exeter is a great uni but I'm a bit confused as to it's sudden popularity and praise. IMO it's one of the 'weaker' 1994 group unis.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Southampton. if not there then Sussex.

Academics aside, do you really want to spend 3 years of you life in a dry part of South-West London surrounded by Indian rudeboys? If you do then go to Kingston.
Reply 29
Original post by fnm

Original post by swbp
It's so annoying that the media see it that way isn't it? I think that the 1994 are all fantastic, yet no ones seems to credit them :/

Golden Triangle is king of them all.
Reply 30
Original post by Wave
Golden Triangle is king of them all.

Definitely, maybe minus KCL.

Hello Everyone

I am an international student and i want to study in the UK . I've done my applications etc and got a response from UEA , Kingston , Sussex , UCLAN and Southampton ( Not Solent ) They all sent me an offer . I'll have to study Foundation first then i want to study Computer Science . Problem i i cant choose between Kingston and Sussex . Kingston offers a sandwhich year which Sussex doesnt . Is ıt really important to do a sandw. year to be able to find a job later on or is it a thing companies use to get cheap labor . Any response would be appreciated

Sussex is ranked 19th on the league tables

Kingston is ranked 88th on the league tables

The graduate prospect of Sussex for Computer Science is 78.0...
...however the graduate prospect for Kingston for Computer Science is 51.0

The obvious choice would be Sussex.
Original post by swbp
I agree completely that Southampton is the best for CS, no question :smile:

I still think that Exeter is a strong university though; just because it's only j entered recently the top 20 doesn't make it inferior. Infact, I'd say that shows that it's a growing university that could climb further in the future.

LOL. Please, don't ever get out of Brighton.
Sussex, it's a top uni.
Reply 34
Original post by Ice-Zero
I second that. Are you kidding? Kingston will get you nowhere. but let me not be the jury. Go visit the kingston campus (i highly doubt you'll like it) and Sussex is MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH(how many U's is that?) better. But you might want to go to Southampton. it's a Russel Group Member, and that can get you very far when getting jobs. In fact. Your decision should be between Southampton and Sussex, not Kingston. trust me, you'll be doing yourself a favour.

"Kingston will get you nowhere" - what the hell is wrong with you? getting a first from Kingston will definitely get you somewhere.
Reply 35
Original post by xxxchrisxxx

Original post by xxxchrisxxx
LOL. Please, don't ever get out of Brighton.

Struggling to even acknowledge someone who uses the phrase "LOL"
Original post by swbp
Struggling to even acknowledge someone who uses the phrase "LOL"

It's ok. You seem to struggle with many things most people take for granted. That's why you're so awed by Sussex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending