The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Mature student 1st year accommodation?

Hey,

I'm in a dilemma about where to live for my 1st year as i'll be 24 and not really wanting to live with 18yr olds :confused:
I've been looking at the iQ accommodation but also at housing. Any help or ideas is appreciated!

Katie

Scroll to see replies

I was 26 when i was in first year and i got put into Boatman's Court. It was entirely full of mature students. It's on Marsh Lane, just down from the Harris Building. I loved it.

From what i've heard IQ has a lot of younger students in.
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Hey Katie,
I was 23 this year; my first year at UCLan. I have to say picking halls was what I hate most about being a student. Admittedly, the people I share my flat with (5 others) are mature students but the majority of the others in Eden Halls are 18 years old. Almost every single night there are people outside shouting/screaming drunkenly and people playing loud music throughout the week. I tried to get into the habit of calling security (I know it sounds like a horrible thing to do but I'm not 18 any more and being a mature student I don't plan on wasting any more time!) but the security really do get sick of hearing from you...

I go out almost every week with my friends here but after a night out I go home quietly and get in bed. This isn't the case with most others who live in halls and I don't blame them. I, like yourself, assumed this to be the situation before I arrived here and it certainly is. I know that Eden, Whitendale, Ribble, Roeburn and IQ Kopa are all in this situation.

A short answer to your question? You may be put in a flat with mature students but it is likely, not certainly, but extremely likely you will be surrounded by hundreds of 18 year olds.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I too will be 24 when starting and have sorted myself one of the big rooms at IQ. I too am a bit afraid of a bunch of 18 year olds running about screaming but it'll just be for the first year so not too fussed. Hoping that maybe I'll at least be able to raise the maturity level in my flat anyway =)

Happy to hear that at least I won't be the only "old" person in first year! What will you be studying?
Reply 4
I will also be 24 when I start Uni in September.

Not sure yet whether I'll be going to Uclan, Edge Hill or Cumbria, but either way I live in Preston (fulwood area) and me and my gf are looking for a lodger for our spare room. Close to the M6, about 10-15 minutes on the bus to the Uni.

If you're interested let me know.
Reply 5
I did send an enquiry to iQ but they replied saying they don't do a mature students section in their halls. UCLan told me that if enough mature students applied for halls then they'd try to sort something out.
I'm gonna be studying BSL and Deaf Studies. What about you?

Katie
Reply 6
I recommend Boatman's court too. It's a lot quieter than other halls because of the fact it is just for mature students.
Or you could look into more private halls that aren't leased by the uni as these tend to be quieter but you could be with people from a variety of years. Try looking at Brunel Court, Ladywell, Glovers Court too?
There are some owned by Kexgill on Tulketh Road which are a pretty handy walk into uni and are really nice but I can't remember the name of them.
Original post by Boo_x
I recommend Boatman's court too. It's a lot quieter than other halls because of the fact it is just for mature students.
Or you could look into more private halls that aren't leased by the uni as these tend to be quieter but you could be with people from a variety of years. Try looking at Glovers Court too

I would recommend NOT looking at Glovers Court. I live there now, and don't get me wrong the guy who owns the place is sound as a pound (it's him who owns Brunel), but the noise from the pub downstairs is beyond annoying. Mondays and Tuesdays it's closed. Open rest of the week, not so bad Weds/Thurs and Sun but Fri and Sat nights are awful. I wear ear plugs but there are times when i can hear every word some people are saying.

Plus it's on a road with two other pubs and there's also a club on the street behind with most of the clubs in Preston at the top of the street.

BUT it is right smack bang in the town centre. Hence why i've put up with it. But if i started september again i'd have gone somewhere else.
Reply 8
Original post by katie_lou_101
I did send an enquiry to iQ but they replied saying they don't do a mature students section in their halls. UCLan told me that if enough mature students applied for halls then they'd try to sort something out.
I'm gonna be studying BSL and Deaf Studies. What about you?

Katie

Educaton/Teaching.

If you don't get anything sorted, feel free to get in touch.
Reply 9
hi all,

I'll be starting in September coming from the US. I'll be 26 when I show up and I'd much rather be with other mature students,too.

I was looking into iQ and Boatmans, but I am really concerned with room size, bed size, and number of allowed guests. Anyone seen the rooms or know more about the visitor/overnight guest policies?

Anyone have experience in the co-ed flats?
Reply 10
I'm also a mature international student (turning 23) with concerns about living in uni halls surrounded by 18yr olds so I'm looking for something a bit quieter. There seems to be a fair few options to choose from but I'm also trying to budget, so all £100+ pw are automatically out of question. Right now I'm looking at private Moore Lane Halls, does anyone have any experiences worth sharing?

Also, still thinking about uni owned halls as well - is it possible to request to share a flat with other mature students (from all years) and how likely would it be to actually get such flatmates? Others mentioned Boatmans court, but as far as I understood you can't request the actual hall, only standard or en-suite, so how does this work into Boatmans being full of mature students? Or do they simply group all mature applicants together in one hall and it happens to be Boatmans?
Reply 11
Have you tried renting a place instead in Sheffield rent can be £500 and less a month by contract might be worth looking into just trying to help.
Reply 12
I currently stay at Trinity and there are a lot of people around 23/24 here. I'm first year,but the majority of people here are 2nd/3rd.
Reply 13
Hey is anyone looking for a room starting from 1st september 2012 runs to june 2013, its in a house situated close to uni and town its a double bedded room and is £69 per week lovely house you'd be sharing with 5 other amazing girls who are in 3rd year, if your interested message me or comment please. :smile: x
Reply 14
Hiya, I'm starting at UCLan this September and I'm 21. I'll be living in Foundry Court. Anyone know what the age ratios are like there? Don't mind hanging with younger people, but, it'd be nice to know a few people my age or older! x
Reply 15
Original post by laura_ann
Hiya, I'm starting at UCLan this September and I'm 21. I'll be living in Foundry Court. Anyone know what the age ratios are like there? Don't mind hanging with younger people, but, it'd be nice to know a few people my age or older! x

My flat mate lived there in first year, I think the uni lease some of foundry court so first years get it but it does tend to be more second/third years there so they'll be around your age. If you applied directly to foundry I think you're more likely to be put with 2nd/3rd years but the uni usually try to put first years together.
Hi people, I'll be 24 when I start my degree at Uclan, I have just got my contract through for a room in Ribble hall (flat 36, room 6). I'm hoping I'm not with a group of teens, I'm doing nursing so I will be on of the few working shirts during my time and I don't think I could deal with the noise after a 12 hours night shift :-/

Anyone else starting a nursing degree in Sept 2012?
Reply 17
Original post by Shokata
I'm also a mature international student (turning 23) with concerns about living in uni halls surrounded by 18yr olds so I'm looking for something a bit quieter. There seems to be a fair few options to choose from but I'm also trying to budget, so all £100+ pw are automatically out of question. Right now I'm looking at private Moore Lane Halls, does anyone have any experiences worth sharing?

Also, still thinking about uni owned halls as well - is it possible to request to share a flat with other mature students (from all years) and how likely would it be to actually get such flatmates? Others mentioned Boatmans court, but as far as I understood you can't request the actual hall, only standard or en-suite, so how does this work into Boatmans being full of mature students? Or do they simply group all mature applicants together in one hall and it happens to be Boatmans?

Boatmans is en-suite, easily the best halls, the quality of the rooms/furnishings are much nicer than the other uni halls and virtually everyone is over 20, average age is probably 23 here - So if you ask for en-suite and put in a comment that you would prefer to live with mature students you are likely to be put in here. (And obviously could request it)

Failing that you can do room changes anytime in the year that come with a £25 admin fee, so if you are placed somewhere you dont like you can move halls as long as there are spare rooms or people willing to do room swaps.
Reply 18
Original post by AidyD
Boatmans is en-suite, easily the best halls, the quality of the rooms/furnishings are much nicer than the other uni halls and virtually everyone is over 20, average age is probably 23 here - So if you ask for en-suite and put in a comment that you would prefer to live with mature students you are likely to be put in here. (And obviously could request it)

Failing that you can do room changes anytime in the year that come with a £25 admin fee, so if you are placed somewhere you dont like you can move halls as long as there are spare rooms or people willing to do room swaps.

I spent a long time trying to decide which one to apply to, and Boatmans was by far my favorite but unfortunately out of my price range - maybe for 2nd year. I was just offered a room in Moor Lane Halls, so I think I'm gonna go ahead with that one :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Shokata
I spent a long time trying to decide which one to apply to, and Boatmans was by far my favorite but unfortunately out of my price range - maybe for 2nd year. I was just offered a room in Moor Lane Halls, so I think I'm gonna go ahead with that one :smile:

Ah fair enough good luck with your studies for the next academic intake then :tongue:

By the way booze brothers actually deliver alcohol to your door. Useful tip.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending