Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

International Workshop, First year focus programme and competition - Freshfields

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Just to let you know Freshfields has opened applications for two upcoming events for students looking to learn more about life as a lawyer in a commercial law firm.

We will be running a two day "First-Year Focus" programme which will take place on 10-11 April 2012 in our London office. The programme will not only give students an insight into life at a City law firm but a key focus will be providing skills training to help students prepare for application forms and interviews for future vacation scheme and training contracts.

We will also be running our International Workshop for the second year. It will be held on 29-30 March and is open to all students. Attendees will have to opportunity to compare life in two Freshfields locations by spending the first day in the London office and the second day in the Paris office.

Applications for the workshops should be made by CV and covering letter also to recruitmentevents@freshfields.co m by 24 February 2012.

Kind Regards

Jess

Trainee Recruitment Team
    Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The international workshop sounds really interesting - how many candidates will you take onto this?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suffocation1992)
    The international workshop sounds really interesting - how many candidates will you take onto this?
    Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you.

We are hoping to take 12-15 students on the international workshop this year.

Kind Regards

Jess
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktrainees@freshfields)
    Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you.

We are hoping to take 12-15 students on the international workshop this year.

Kind Regards

Jess
    Oh great! Hopefully I'll get my application in by Sunday.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Just to let you know Freshfields has opened applications for two upcoming events for students looking to learn more about life as a lawyer in a commercial law firm.

We will be running a two day "First-Year Focus" programme which will take place on 10-11 April 2012 in our London office. The programme will not only give students an insight into life at a City law firm but a key focus will be providing skills training to help students prepare for application forms and interviews for future vacation scheme and training contracts.

We will also be running our International Workshop for the second year. It will be held on 29-30 March and is open to all students. Attendees will have to opportunity to compare life in two Freshfields locations by spending the first day in the London office and the second day in the Paris office.

The firm is also running a competition to all students studying at a UK or Irish university in its capacity as official legal services provider to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Students are being asked to say, in more than 200 words, why they would like to attend the Games with Freshfields - with the winners receiving a pair of complimentary tickets to the Games.

To enter the competition students should submit their entry to recruitmentevents@freshfields.co m by Monday 20 February 2012. Full details can be found on our website www.freshfields.com/uktrainees.

Applications for the workshops should be made by CV and covering letter also to recruitmentevents@freshfields.co m by 24 February 2012.

Kind Regards

Jess

Trainee Recruitment Team

The International workshop sounds great. What kind of details would you be looking for in the covering letter?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glittergulch)
    The International workshop sounds great. What kind of details would you be looking for in the covering letter?
    Hi there,

The main things to talk about in the covering letter are your motivations for a career in commercial law, what you would hope to get out of the workshop and why specifically with Freshfields.

Kind Regards

Jess
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

The firm is also running a competition to all students studying at a UK or Irish university in its capacity as official legal services provider to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Students are being asked to say, in more than 200 words, why they would like to attend the Games with Freshfields - with the winners receiving a pair of complimentary tickets to the Games.

To enter the competition students should submit their entry to recruitmentevents@freshfields.co m by Monday 20 February 2012. Full details can be found on our website www.freshfields.com/uktrainees.

Kind Regards

Jess

Trainee Recruitment Team
    what is the minimum age for the first to focus programme?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jed123)
    what is the minimum age for the first to focus programme?
    Hi there

There is no age restrictions but you have to be in the first year of your undergraduate degree.

Regards

Jess
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

How long can I expect to wait for an offer/rejection email after my application for the international workshop has been sent in?

Thank you in advance
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aberdeeny)
    Hi there,

How long can I expect to wait for an offer/rejection email after my application for the international workshop has been sent in?

Thank you in advance
    Hi there,

You should hear back within the next week to 10 days in regards to a decision on your application.

Kind Regards

Jess
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, who should the cover letter be addressed to?

How should we present our exam results on the cover letter? Do we detail every single module or is it okay to say 2.1?

Thank you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovejoypeace)
    Hi, who should the cover letter be addressed to?

How should we present our exam results on the cover letter? Do we detail every single module or is it okay to say 2.1?

Thank you.
    Hi there,

Addressing it to the Trainee Recruitment team will be fine.

I would recommend detailing all your module grade results.

Kind Regards

Jess
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

Thank you so much for your respond. Just another quick question - it is possible to do away with the addresses and start the letter right away?

Thank you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovejoypeace)
    Hi again,

Thank you so much for your respond. Just another quick question - it is possible to do away with the addresses and start the letter right away?

Thank you.
    Hi there,

If you want to, that is not a problem at all. Some candidates have been sending the equivalent of their covering letter to us in the email and that is more than fine.

Regards

Jess
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

The main things to talk about in the covering letter are your motivations for a career in commercial law, what you would hope to get out of the workshop and why specifically with Freshfields.

Kind Regards

Jess
    Hi,

In the criteria on your website it doesn't say that we should put what we hope to get out of the workshop...only the other two points...?

Also surely someone in second year doing law applying with a 1st in all their modules will be a better position than someone in their first year with only good A-levels?

Thanks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawQC)
    Hi,

In the criteria on your website it doesn't say that we should put what we hope to get out of the workshop...only the other two points...?

Also surely someone in second year doing law applying with a 1st in all their modules will be a better position than someone in their first year with only good A-levels?

Thanks
    Hi there,

We don't go into too much detail on the website - we want people to work it out for themselves and to think about what would be relevant on their application.

Last year we had first, second, and third years, as well as finalists and post-graduates on the international workshop so it really won't matter which year you are in. Where we look at applications holistically (including written style, extra-curricular activities, motivations etc) there is a lot to consider outside of someone's academics.

Kind Regards

Jess
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

We don't go into too much detail on the website - we want people to work it out for themselves and to think about what would be relevant on their application.

Last year we had first, second, and third years, as well as finalists and post-graduates on the international workshop so it really won't matter which year you are in. Where we look at applications holistically (including written style, extra-curricular activities, motivations etc) there is a lot to consider outside of someone's academics.

Kind Regards

Jess
    ok thanks - is it ok if I put my grades as part of my CV.

Also since Im in my first year we haven't been predicted grades so what should I do about that?

Thanks.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawQC)
    ok thanks - is it ok if I put my grades as part of my CV.

Also since Im in my first year we haven't been predicted grades so what should I do about that?

Thanks.
    I always recommend putting the factual information like grades on the CV rather than the covering letter, which should be more about your motivations.

If you have any un-assessed grades for essays/assignments, you could always put those down at the typical grades you have been achieving so far.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lselaw)
    Hi,

I only found out about this opportunity yesterday and sent off my application yesterday and sent off my application this morning; will I be disadvantaged by my application coming so close to the deadline? Thanks!
    Hi there,

It will not be a problem - I would say nearly half of people have applied in the last 48 hours!

Regards

Jess
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Apologies if you are waiting to hear back from us in regards to the International Workshop or First Year Focus programme.

We have been inundated with applications and we are still screening them as quickly as we can. We hope to let the majority of people know whether they have been shortlisted for telephone interviews by the end of this week for the international workshop and the end of the following week for the First Year programme.

Thank you for your patience!

Regards

Jess

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 1, 2013
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.