The Student Room Group

mature student living costs...help

Hi
Can anyone tell me how you complete a 4 year course (teacher training with QTS) and run a house and family as a single parent? what financial help is available to me to help with the huge financial commitment that will have to be undertaken. any websites? can i apply to my local council for a grant?

Thanks for any advice given

Fian
Original post by fian608
Hi
Can anyone tell me how you complete a 4 year course (teacher training with QTS) and run a house and family as a single parent? what financial help is available to me to help with the huge financial commitment that will have to be undertaken. any websites? can i apply to my local council for a grant?

Thanks for any advice given

Fian

I'm not sure about council grants - seems unlikely in the present climate but might be worth investigating. It's tough in your situation but it can certainly be done and there are many who have done it :smile:. You can apply for a tuition fee loan up to £9000, maintenance loan, and any grants as applicable. Depending on circumstances you may be eligible for other support from student finance such as parent's learning allowance and childcare grant which can help you complete your studies if you have children.

You may be able to get certain benefits while studying as you are a lone parent but this depends on the amount of student finance you are receiving. Remember you also won't have to pay council tax while you're a student assuming none of your children are over 18, which will be a help.

Have a read here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_171503
Reply 2
You may also be able to claim income support / job seekers allowance during the summer holidays.

You'd receive child tax credits - student finance is ignored for this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending