The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA2 29th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lauramayxxxx
Definitely not, I asked my teacher today too. They've been taken off the specification :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Ok, thank you! One less thing to revise!!
Original post by Quafflewing12168
Ok, so are problem focused and emotion focused coping strategies NOT going to come up?

They are NOT going to come up, they CANT. They're no longer on the syllabus.
Original post by HarryMWilliams
They are NOT going to come up, they CANT. They're no longer on the syllabus.

Thank you! Is there anything else that's been knocked off the syllabus? I think there's something about independent behaviour?
Original post by Quafflewing12168
Thank you! Is there anything else that's been knocked off the syllabus? I think there's something about independent behaviour?

Not that I am aware of, I believe all of the Independent Behaviour stuff is still there?
Anyone know into how much detail we should know the 'stess as a bodily response' section of the unit, eg, do we have to know axons can have up to 1000 branches and the name of every part of the synapse?
Also do we have to know the names of the people who came up with systems like the sympathomedullary pathway?

Can someone Explain

ANS, Parasympathetic/Sympathetic Branch, HPA/SAM System

Im confused :frown:
Just saw someone has literally just asked what I just put on the previous page, sorry :smile:

Original post by blue-orangutan
Anyone know into how much detail we should know the 'stess as a bodily response' section of the unit, eg, do we have to know axons can have up to 1000 branches and the name of every part of the synapse?
Also do we have to know the names of the people who came up with systems like the sympathomedullary pathway?

As far as I am aware no. :smile:

Original post by PowerPuff
Can someone Explain

ANS, Parasympathetic/Sympathetic Branch, HPA/SAM System

Im confused :frown:

SAM (SAMP) System or the Sympathetic-adrenomedullary-pathway
SAM is short (just someone I know) therefore we use the SAM system for short term stressors which implies that the end result will be either a flight or fight response.

The SAM system starts in the Hypothalamus, this then activates the Sympathetic Nervous System. The SNS then stimulates the Adrenal Medulla in the Kidneys.

The Kidneys then releases Adrenaline and Noradrenaline into the blood which results in the flight or fight response.

PAS (HPAA) System or the Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal-axis
The PAS system is for the long term stressors, just a stressful working environment which implies that we will as an end product release Corticosteriods into the blood stream to deal with the stress.

The PAS system starts in the Hypothalamus too, which then activates the Pituitary Gland which then releases ACTH (Adreno-cortico-trophic-hormone, you dont need to know the name, I just like it!) in the Kidneys.

The ACTH then travels to the Adrenal Cortex in the Adrenal Gland to stimulate the release of Corticosteroids into the body.
(edited 11 years ago)
@PowerPuff

The autonomic nervous system (ANS), in essence, controls the automatic processes in our body. In our unit for stress, we only need to know that:

Sympathetic pathway: works to actively arouse (giggidy!) a stressed person in the SAM response.

Parasympathetic pathway: works to return bodily functions to normal after a sympathetic response.

Annnnd, the two stress responses:

SAM
Higher brain centres activate the hypothalamus, which in turn activates the sympathetic pathway of the autonomic nervous system. This sympathetic arousal causes the adrenal medulla to release noradrenaline and adrenaline; causing a fight or flight response.

HPA
Higher brain centres activate the hypothalamus, which in turn activates the pituitary gland in the brain using CRF (cortico-steroid releasing factor). The pituitary gland releases ACTH in turn, which stimulates the adrenal cortex to release cortisol. Cortisol causes the liver to utilise fats.

EDIT: Beat me to it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hmm if a 12 mark question came up on the deviation from social norms definition, how would we get the whole six marks for AO1? I've just attempted it and I doubt I would've got 6 marks, but there doesn't seem much to say unlike the other two definitions :/

Hmm if a 12 mark question came up on the deviation from social norms definition, how would we get the whole six marks for AO1? I've just attempted it and I doubt I would've got 6 marks, but there doesn't seem much to say unlike the other two definitions :/

What paper asked 12 marks on one explanation of abnormality? :O
Original post by HarryMWilliams
What paper asked 12 marks on one explanation of abnormality? :O

It didn't :tongue: I was just attempting it, because cant the question potentially be on anything? :smile:

It didn't :tongue: I was just attempting it, because cant the question potentially be on anything? :smile:

I was going to say, nearly induced an MI there! I don't think even AQA would ask that kind of question. I would say that getting 12 marks just outlining a single definition would be quite dificult. I'd concentrate on the four approaches to psychopathology.
hope this exam goes well only got a C in jan felt like i got A when i did it -.-
Im going to post my own notes here if you dont mind ^_^
Original post by CosmicVengeance
hope this exam goes well only got a C in jan felt like i got A when i did it -.-

I think a lot of people were caught off-guard with the boundaries.
What do you think the grade boundaries will be like for UNIT 1 TO GET AN A, B AND C around?
Okay, Sociology is now over. TIME FOR PSYCH!

Does anyone have a list of potential 12 markers? Need to practice planning and structuring them:smile:
tomorrow its poster time! making 4 on each approach to abnormality and another 4 for the treatments.
Original post by breakeven
Okay, Sociology is now over. TIME FOR PSYCH!

Does anyone have a list of potential 12 markers? Need to practice planning and structuring them:smile:
tomorrow its poster time! making 4 on each approach to abnormality and another 4 for the treatments.

i might do, il post later just had economics exam taking a break :smile:
Original post by CosmicVengeance
i might do, il post later just had economics exam taking a break :smile:

Thankyou very much! And I feel your pain, just had a 2 hour Sociology Exam too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending