The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA2 29th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mkigz77
hey guys i was just looking over the spec and wondering if someone can clarify this for me - stress management used to include PHYSIOLOGICAL and PSYCHOLOGICAL Now after looking back at the spec it is BIOLOGICAL and PSYCHOLOGICAL I wanted to just know if the physiological and biological are the same content e.g. Beta Blockers, Benzos etc?

Yeah they are :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 421
Original post by Bethan1
Would anybody be able to tell me all the 12 markers that have already come up? x

Psychology unit 2

Stuff thats already come up:

Outline and evaluate the biological approach to psychopathology.
Outline and evaluate one or more explanations of why people obey.
Discuss two or more definitions of abnormality.
Outline and evaluate research into the relationship between the immune system and stress-related illness.
Outline and evaluate the psychodynamic approach to abnormality.
Outline and evaluate research relating to independent behaviour.
Discuss two or more methods of stress management.

STUFF THATS NEVER COME UP:
life changes and daily hassles
workplace stress
personality factors including Type A and hardiness
CBT for treating stress (Stress Innoculation therapy)
Majority influence (conformity)
Discuss research on obedience
Implications for social change (appears on all papers - 4/6/8/10 marks)
Biological treatments for abnormality - ECT/drugs
Psychological treatments for abnormality - CBT/psychodynamic therapy/systematic desensitization
Behaviourist approach to abnormality
Cognitive approach to abnormality
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 422
This is our spec: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2180-W-SP-12.PDF (at least I hope it is), stress in everyday life is much shorter than the stuff in my textbook, e.g. mine has "Distinction between emotion-focused and problem-focused approaches to coping with stress", 2012 doesn't... Does that mean it's not needed now? :s-smilie:
Reply 423
Original post by Daisia
This is our spec: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2180-W-SP-12.PDF (at least I hope it is), stress in everyday life is much shorter than the stuff in my textbook, e.g. mine has "Distinction between emotion-focused and problem-focused approaches to coping with stress", 2012 doesn't... Does that mean it's not needed now? :s-smilie:

Yep, for the new 2012 syllabus (which your exam will be on) you don't need to learn anything about personal coping strategies for stress. But you do still need to know about the management of stress (i.e. treatments), such as how drugs can be used to reduce it.
Reply 424
how would you outline and evaluate life changes or daily hassesls or are they the same thing?
Reply 425
Original post by Bethan1
Hey I'm really stressing and just wondered what does everyone think will be on it on Tuesday? Like 12 markers thanks would really appreciate it hahaha x

It may be social change as there hasn't been a 12 marker on this yet and it is usually poorly answered.
Reply 426
Original post by Tilly3475
how would you outline and evaluate life changes or daily hassesls or are they the same thing?

They are two contrasting theories about how stress is caused. Daily Hassles are little everyday stresses which accumulate over time to cause stress e.g. traffic on the way to work everyday, whereas Life changes are rare events which have a bigger overall impact on someones life and the stress they are experiencing e.g. a relative dying, christmas, marriage, a new job etc.
Reply 427
Original post by SarahD95
They are two contrasting theories about how stress is caused. Daily Hassles are little everyday stresses which accumulate over time to cause stress e.g. traffic on the way to work everyday, whereas Life changes are rare events which have a bigger overall impact on someones life and the stress they are experiencing e.g. a relative dying, christmas, marriage, a new job etc.

OH thanks and if a question was to come up in exams as a 12 marker do you think they would be asked together?
Reply 428
OH thanks and if a question was to come up in exams as a 12 marker do you think they would be asked together?

It probably wouldn't be written like that but may be 'outline and evaluate sources of stress' which means you could mention those two plus workplace stress as a source of stress. Hope this helps!
will anything about the SAM pathway or ACUTE AND CHRONIC STRESS COME UP?
I hate that topic! :frown:
Whats most likely to come up for stress, social influence and abnormality?
Thanks
Original post by ineedtorevise127
will anything about the SAM pathway or ACUTE AND CHRONIC STRESS COME UP?
I hate that topic! :frown:
Whats most likely to come up for stress, social influence and abnormality?
Thanks

I'm hoping that something easy like 'Outline one of the definitions of abnormality.' questions come up as they are a god-send!
Reply 431
My teacher thinks its gonna be a 12 marker on social change because everyone always answers them badly:frown:

Original post by Chloebolt
My teacher thinks its gonna be a 12 marker on social change because everyone always answers them badly:frown:

If thats the reasoning behind the exam board putting one in I just love it. :tongue:
Original post by Chloebolt

Lol write an ideal 12 marker here then please :smile:
Reply 434
Psychology unit 2
Implications for social change (appears on all papers - 4/6/8/10 marks)

It may be social change as there hasn't been a 12 marker on this yet and it is usually poorly answered.

NOOO WAY!! It better not be..!

How do you answer a 12/10/8 marker on social change?

The AQA AS Mini companion on page 39 says you only need to know 6 marks worth of material for implications for social change NOT '6 marks worth of desciption and 6 for evaluation' like it says for stuff like majority influece, obediance, etc.
how would you structure a 12 mark social change essay?
Reply 436
Original post by ineedtorevise127
how would you structure a 12 mark social change essay?

Look at my message above...I highly doubt the 12 marker would be on social change...if it is..I am doomed.
Original post by Saif95
Look at my message above...I highly doubt the 12 marker would be on social change...if it is..I am doomed.

Likewise. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Attached is a document with a load of questions for both social change and stress that you may find helpful! I have. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 438
It probably wouldn't be written like that but may be 'outline and evaluate sources of stress' which means you could mention those two plus workplace stress as a source of stress. Hope this helps!

Thankyou it did very much :biggrin:
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Likewise. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Attached is a document with a load of questions for both social change and stress that you may find helpful! I have. :smile:

I'm sorry, but I am 99% sure, in my exam I won't get a question saying - Who was afraid of horses?

Quick Reply