The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA2 29th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nobly
what book are you guys using for this exam?

We're using the one with the cat on the cover. But, it's the older version :facepalm:
Reply 41
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
Lol, i'd love an A, but I have a ridiculously intense interest in psychology and psychiatry. I read up on random neuro disabilities, just for fun, however sad that sounds. :colondollar:

It's not sad in the slightest :nah: I read up on things in History because they fascinate me. I read the whole Wikipedia page on the Führerbunker very recently so :colondollar:
Original post by Deyesy
It's not sad in the slightest :nah: I read up on things in History because they fascinate me. I read the whole Wikipedia page on the Führerbunker very recently so :colondollar:

Thanks for the reassurance. :colondollar:
Reply 43
Thanks for the reassurance. :colondollar:

No worries :h: Different things fascinate different people ^^

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy
No worries :h: Different things fascinate different people ^^

Spoiler

I am now, thanks for asking. :smile:
Reply 45
I am now, thanks for asking. :smile:

3 days late but I'm glad you're okay :h:
Original post by Deyesy
3 days late but I'm glad you're okay :h:

Hehe :colondollar: Thanks
Reply 47
I'm retaking this exam after previously having taken it January 2011. Are there any changes to the specification I should know about or should I just revise all the same stuff I did when I took it in Jan 2011?
I'm doing social psychology, biological stress and individual differences (abnormality)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Also planning to start when Easter does. Technically that's now but I'm not including this weekend.

Although we haven't finished the entire syllabus yet, and I find it difficult to start going over stuff before I've even finished it, if that makes sense.
Reply 49
Original post by Henwin
Also planning to start when Easter does. Technically that's now but I'm not including this weekend.

Although we haven't finished the entire syllabus yet, and I find it difficult to start going over stuff before I've even finished it, if that makes sense.

Well I have touched stress but I'll be starting to revise abnormality on Monday. So I guess you could start revising one of the topics you've finished? :h:
Reply 50
Original post by Deyesy
Well I have touched stress but I'll be starting to revise abnormality on Monday. So I guess you could start revising one of the topics you've finished? :h:

That's my plan, just to start at the beginning and hopefully catch up with myself :smile:
Reply 51
Gah. I can't be bothered starting tomorrow :facepalm:
Original post by nobly
what book are you guys using for this exam?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Psychology-Students-Textbook-Specification/dp/1845900936

This is the book I'm using :smile: I used it for unit 1 too - if you like to read lots then it's really good 'cause it's very 'wordy' :') I think I'm going to buy it for A2 as well :smile:
Reply 53
I AM FREAKING OUT ABOUT THIS!

ANY IDEAS ON THE 12 MARKERS? :confused:
Reply 54
ALSO can any one mark this for me?

OUTLINE AND EVALUATE DEFINITIONS OF ABNORMALITY (12 marks)

One definition of abnormality is deviation from social norms. According to this definition, in any society there are social norms (standards of acceptable behaviour) that are set by the social group, and adhered to by those in the social group. These standards are often in place for good reasons, e.g. politeness is a social norm and so any behaviour which deviates from the social norms are deemed as abnormal.
However judgment of deviance is dependent on the context of a particular behaviour. There is not a clear line between what an abnormal deviation is and what is simply nothing more than harmless eccentricity.
Not to mention that cultural relativism has not been taken into consideration. What is considered abnormal in one culture may be considered as normal in another. Americans, for instance, maintain fairly direct eye contact when conversing with others. Asians, on the other hand, may avert their eyes as a sign of politeness and respect.
Another definition of abnormality is the failure to function adequately. This suggests that people not able to attain their normal pattern of behaviour are said to be failing to function adequately. For example, a depressed person who cannot hold down a job and whose relationships break up because of their depressed mood, or an agoraphobic who is afraid to leave their house.
The problem with this definition is that it is extremely subjective. What is functioning adequately? It is based on social judgement and is different for each person– who has the right to judge? This links to the idea that people may not be able to recognise that they are functioning inadequately or that they have a problem (such as personality disorders). Therefore, someone else has to define them as abnormal, such as a doctor or a judge, and this may be controversial.
Cultural relativism also limits this definition as it is based on western cultures, a function from one culture may not be considered as adequate in another. This might explain why lower-class and non-white patients are more often diagnosed with mental disorders.
The last definition is deviation from ideal mental health. Marie Jahoda conducted a review of common references to categorise ideal mental health. This consisted of; having high self-esteem, self-actualisation, being able to cope with stress, autonomy and having an accurate perception of reality.
However according to this definition most people would be considered as abnormal as it is highly unlikely anyone meets all of these criteria’s. We need to understand how many of these criteria's should be lacking before we are classified as abnormal.
Once again cultural relativism should be taken into account all of the criteria’s are culture bound. Jahoda's definitions are based on western individualistic values of personal growth and so are hard to apply to collectivist cultures that don’t encourage independence.
Reply 55
revising psychology can be soooo borring lol, Tilly that answer should be worth 12 marks though would you be able to recreate such a strong answer in the exam? if so you are heading for an A :smile: GL
Original post by Tilly3475
ALSO can any one mark this for me?

OUTLINE AND EVALUATE DEFINITIONS OF ABNORMALITY (12 marks)

One definition of abnormality is deviation from social norms. According to this definition, in any society there are social norms (standards of acceptable behaviour) that are set by the social group, and adhered to by those in the social group. These standards are often in place for good reasons, e.g. politeness is a social norm and so any behaviour which deviates from the social norms are deemed as abnormal.
However judgment of deviance is dependent on the context of a particular behaviour. There is not a clear line between what an abnormal deviation is and what is simply nothing more than harmless eccentricity.
Not to mention that cultural relativism has not been taken into consideration. What is considered abnormal in one culture may be considered as normal in another. Americans, for instance, maintain fairly direct eye contact when conversing with others. Asians, on the other hand, may avert their eyes as a sign of politeness and respect.
Another definition of abnormality is the failure to function adequately. This suggests that people not able to attain their normal pattern of behaviour are said to be failing to function adequately. For example, a depressed person who cannot hold down a job and whose relationships break up because of their depressed mood, or an agoraphobic who is afraid to leave their house.
The problem with this definition is that it is extremely subjective. What is functioning adequately? It is based on social judgement and is different for each person– who has the right to judge? This links to the idea that people may not be able to recognise that they are functioning inadequately or that they have a problem (such as personality disorders). Therefore, someone else has to define them as abnormal, such as a doctor or a judge, and this may be controversial.
Cultural relativism also limits this definition as it is based on western cultures, a function from one culture may not be considered as adequate in another. This might explain why lower-class and non-white patients are more often diagnosed with mental disorders.
The last definition is deviation from ideal mental health. Marie Jahoda conducted a review of common references to categorise ideal mental health. This consisted of; having high self-esteem, self-actualisation, being able to cope with stress, autonomy and having an accurate perception of reality.
However according to this definition most people would be considered as abnormal as it is highly unlikely anyone meets all of these criteria’s. We need to understand how many of these criteria's should be lacking before we are classified as abnormal.
Once again cultural relativism should be taken into account all of the criteria’s are culture bound. Jahoda's definitions are based on western individualistic values of personal growth and so are hard to apply to collectivist cultures that don’t encourage independence.

It's quite good so well done on that. I think 10 or 11 out of 12. The only I can think you might want to improve on is that the definitions aren't being compared to each other as it's just one definition then it's evaluation and then you just move on. Other than that, I think it's really good.:biggrin:
Reply 57
I'm a resitter, need to get my lowww B to an A. Can anyone help me, I'm not really too sure what the 12 markers can be on.. is it anything named on the spec? So we could literally get a 12 marker on SIT?
I'm pretty confused as AS is completely different to A2.
Original post by Lauraaa12
I'm a resitter, need to get my lowww B to an A. Can anyone help me, I'm not really too sure what the 12 markers can be on.. is it anything named on the spec? So we could literally get a 12 marker on SIT?
I'm pretty confused as AS is completely different to A2.

if you go on to the AQA website and search psychology A then you can find on there, the examiners reprots on last years exam paper. the chances are that the qiestions people did bad on will come up again this year :smile: i hope that helps
Reply 59
Im finding it hard to structure a 12 mark question for my AS exam in Psychology for this summer.. at the moment I am thinking that i should describe 3 theories and then evaluate on them through giving the strengths and limitations of each. can anyone help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending