The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AwkwardPenguin
Always someone that has to outdo everyone else. :wink:

I've done it pretty much since year 9 due to illness but this is the only course that I've done out of school with no help or contact with a teacher because I'm no longer at school. :smile: I've loved doing it though.

Edit. The crazy was about doing it all in a year, not self teaching haha. Just realised what you meant. :smile:

how cum ur no longer at scool?
i was ill from year 7-9 but still passed...

but wat did u get for AS?
Original post by y.yousef
how cum ur no longer at scool?
i was ill from year 7-9 but still passed...

but wat did u get for AS?

ABBB (Philosophy, English Lit, History & Theatre Studies) not including Psychology because I didn't have it then & BBBB at A2. I'm not at school because I'm 19 and have finished. :smile: But I was predicted AAAB but missed it because of being so ill during exams, so I'm on a gap year but decided I wanted to Psychology at Uni so am doing that and resitting Philosophy because I got nearly 100UMS on both AS papers and was only 1 mark off an A at A2. I won't get my 3 A's but I'll settle with 2 and 2 B's. :smile:

Edit. 2A's and 3B's I forgot I have 5 A Levels now hehe.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AwkwardPenguin
ABBB (Philosophy, English Lit, History & Theatre Studies) not including Psychology because I didn't have it then & BBBB at A2. I'm not at school because I'm 19 and have finished. :smile: But I was predicted AAAB but missed it because of being so ill during exams, so I'm on a gap year but decided I wanted to Psychology at Uni so am doing that and resitting Philosophy because I got nearly 100UMS on both AS papers and was only 1 mark off an A at A2. I won't get my 3 A's but I'll settle with 2 and 2 B's. :smile:

thats really good.
but what do u plan to do job wise with a psychology degree?
Original post by y.yousef
thats really good.
but what do u plan to do job wise with a psychology degree?

I'd like to go on and do postgraduate medicine. I always wanted to then at the last minute went the totally opposite way with my A Level choices. (I originally picked Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics & English Lit.) Now I wish I'd done Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Psychology & Philosophy so I could have done medicine straight away but you live and learn. :smile: I'd like to be an immunologist. :smile: How about you? :smile:

Edit. Oh and thank you. :smile:
Reply 264
can someone tell me what gender topic came up in january 2012? :smile:
Reply 265
I need some help. If I write 8 AO1 points in an essay, and 8 elaborated AO2 points in an essay, would this potentially be full marks? Or do examiners mark the work in how you write it etc...?
Reply 266
Original post by rosey76
can someone tell me what gender topic came up in january 2012? :smile:

'Describe research into social influences on gender. (8 marks)'

'Assess the importance of social influences on gender. (16 marks)'
Reply 267
Original post by hhh123
I need some help. If I write 8 AO1 points in an essay, and 8 elaborated AO2 points in an essay, would this potentially be full marks? Or do examiners mark the work in how you write it etc...?

It's not marks for the amount of points you make.

8 AO2 points?

Nonononono.

AO2 =

Research For ( A must)
Research Against
IDAx2 (or just 1)
Real Life Application.

If you do those 3/4 things, elaborate on them then you will get full marks.

At least thats what I think D; D; D; ?!?!?!
Reply 268
Original post by acedlol
It's not marks for the amount of points you make.

8 AO2 points?

Nonononono.

AO2 =

Research For ( A must)
Research Against
IDAx2 (or just 1)
Real Life Application.

If you do those 3/4 things, elaborate on them then you will get full marks.

At least thats what I think D; D; D; ?!?!?!

Oh right okay I see. I have been writing essays and evaluating them using terms such as gender biased etc. and then at the end of the essay I use my synoptic issues. Maybe I'll cut the amount of points down and just elaborate on them more.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 269
If we are asked just to solely EVALUATE the evolutionary explanation of food preference, how would be go about this. I find it so difficult to evaluate something without outlining.. Someone help?!

Reply 270
Original post by hhh123
If we are asked just to solely EVALUATE the evolutionary explanation of food preference, how would be go about this. I find it so difficult to evaluate something without outlining.. Someone help?!

You would have to outline a bit, just don't go over the top as it won't get you many marks. Just write the basic A01 material.
Reply 271
Original post by Heyimdec
You would have to outline a bit, just don't go over the top as it won't get you many marks. Just write the basic A01 material.

Okay so writing something like this would be okay?

'There is supporting evidence for the reasoning as to why bitter tastes are often rejected such as that by Menella. The research does suggest that the evolutionary theory has the ability to detect and reject bitter tasting foods, suggesting that the theory is still valid even though evolution is not occurring as rapidly today'.

Note I haven't outlined the procedure and findings of Menella..? Is this right?

Reply 272
Original post by hhh123
Okay so writing something like this would be okay?

'There is supporting evidence for the reasoning as to why bitter tastes are often rejected such as that by Menella. The research does suggest that the evolutionary theory has the ability to detect and reject bitter tasting foods, suggesting that the theory is still valid even though evolution is not occurring as rapidly today'.

Note I haven't outlined the procedure and findings of Menella..? Is this right?

I think so yes, just don't spend too long on the A01. You probably should outline the results of the Menella study, but keep it to a minimum. Focus on the evaluation. :smile:

These sorts of questions aren't nice I know. :s-smilie:
Reply 273
Any predictions for suspected Qs for sleep, relationships and aggression? Remember asking last year for unit 1 and loads of people said age and EWT and that came up ! :smile:
Reply 274
Original post by Mephestic
sounds good to me, I got 100ums doing something similar- my technique was:

outline (usually 2 relevant theories)
studies supporting/against x 3 (2 should do also he good detail)
IDAs like mad.

100 :O wow, well done! :biggrin: What are IDAs? o_O
Reply 275
Original post by Cleoleo

Issues debates and applications..?

Reply 276
Original post by Cleoleo

Issues, debates and approaches.
Reply 277
hey guys quick question,

how do you answer the short 4/5mark questions??

..is there a generic structure to these type of questions / anyone know how we gain full marks (something along those lines)

question: if i were to use the 'it is a correlational study therefore we can't determine cause and effect' problem, how do i expand on this?
ANDDD.. to those that are guessing what the topic questions are for this exam, were the ones for relationship, aggression, eating behavior correct/close? - i do remember reading before the january exam that relationship was going to be dissolution..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 278
Original post by Bri8
hey guys quick question,

how do you answer the short 4/5mark questions??

..is there a generic structure to these type of questions / anyone know how we gain full marks (something along those lines)

question: if i were to use the 'it is a correlational study therefore we can't determine cause and effect' problem, how do i expand on this?
ANDDD.. to those that are guessing what the topic questions are for this exam, were the ones for relationship, aggression, eating behavior correct/close? - i do remember reading before the january exam that relationship was going to be dissolution..

If I was using the correlational evaluative point id just give an example. For example 'The research is correlational and therefore cause and effect cannot be established. For example is not clear whether the high levels of testosterone are caused by aggression, or whether aggression causes the high levels of testosterone, and therefore it is clear that further research into this area would be beneficial within psychology'

Reply 279
Original post by hhh123
If I was using the correlational evaluative point id just give an example. For example 'The research is correlational and therefore cause and effect cannot be established. For example is not clear whether the high levels of testosterone are caused by aggression, or whether aggression causes the high levels of testosterone, and therefore it is clear that further research into this area would be beneficial within psychology'

Thanks for this! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending