The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2860
Original post by Mmrawrr
We don't. I have no clue what that is. :smile:

Oh ok thanks then. If we had to outline and evaluate the functions of sleep or were asked to evaluate for e.g. the evolutionary explanation of sleep, could you say that the evolutionary theory is reductionist as it doesnt consider other explanations such as the restoration theory or does the restoration theory support it?
Original post by swiftylol
Yeah, spot on.

heyy what are your a02 for nature of sleep and lifespan changes please. hope you don't mind. thank youu
Reply 2862
Yeah, spot on.

ok thanks 4 that. I feel so much more confident in the nature of sleep but not sleep disorders - i guess the beauty of it is that i have the whole day to cover - better late then never!
Reply 2863
Original post by mkigz77
Oh ok thanks then. If we had to outline and evaluate the functions of sleep or were asked to evaluate for e.g. the evolutionary explanation of sleep, could you say that the evolutionary theory is reductionist as it doesnt consider other explanations such as the restoration theory or does the restoration theory support it?

It doesn't consider the restoration theory - although it depends which evolutionary theory you're evaluating.
Original post by SashaLuLu
heyy what are your a02 for nature of sleep and lifespan changes please. hope you don't mind. thank youu

Black circles are points, white circles are the sub-points.

NOS:
o RS into nature of sleep can be seen as reductionist, as it is divided into separate stages based on EEG readings.

Llifespan:
RS into lifespan changes in sleep has been conducted in sleep labs, using objective measurements + psy as a science
Problem /w sleep research involves measurement of sleep. To measure physiology of sleep, P’s are connected to electrodes
o This can affect qual and quant of sleep experienced
o Preferable if p’s spend several nights in sleep lab getting used to sleeping /w equip and wires, but not many have time for this.
Lab sleeping is done alone, while many people sleep with a partner. May not be able to gen results, b/c co-sleeping may be fundamentally different. Co sleeping is even under researched.
Babies sleeping a lot may be evolutionary, to allow parents to have time for housework
Males over 45 have little SWS, which affects hormone production
o May explain why physical injuries take longer to heal.
Can’t just generalise to everyone b/c they are the same age. Must take into account indvdl differences
o Borbely reports of studies done at uni of Florida found consistent findins from same P on diff nights
o But diff findings on diff P’s of similar age
o Sleep patterns determined by indvdl’s constitution than measure of age.
o E.g some adults need 5hrs sleep, some need 9
Vitiello
o Found that sleep patterns in the elderly are linked to all the medication and illnesses
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2865
Could someone please pm me an essay in genetics I could memorise and maybe one on success and failure of dieting and biological expl of anorexia.. It's just that I'm still memorising aggression ites and I have like relationships to memorise as well as eating behaviours and disorders ;(
Reply 2866
Original post by Mmrawrr
It doesn't consider the restoration theory - although it depends which evolutionary theory you're evaluating.

Oh ok. Well the evolutionary explanations that i have generally talk about the type of behaviour present in today's society, 2.5 billion years ago animals developed the ability to hunt..., the fact that it is deterministic as we are unable to exercise free will etc...
Reply 2867
Original post by mkigz77
Hey so if a question did come up about the nature of sleep, am i right in saying that we would have to discuss the 4 four stages (non-rem), rem sleep and lifespan changes?

Yeah that's correct. Also use lots of studies such as Dement.

Original post by Mmrawrr
Yeah, because then you could also include functions of sleep. Shall I leave it then?

And erm.. I'm afriad nature of sleep and functions of sleep are completely different areas. According to the spec and what I've been taught anyway.

Nature of sleep: Stages, Physiology, Lifespan changes.
Function of sleep: Restoration and Evolutionary.

thank youu!! am i correct in thinking, oswald states we sleep due to recuperation and restoration of the brain (REM) and growth/protein synthesis(SWS) and horne states sleep is needed for psychological recuperation?

And :colondollar: I've actually learnt different!

Osward proposed that sleep is to renew biochemical and physiological processes which degrade throughout the day. Therefore it was suggested that NREM stages are the most important as during these stages growth hormones are released aiding tissue growth and protein synthesis.

Horne proposed that sleep is to restore brain functions only, and thus came up with the idea of core sleep which happens during Stage 4 and REM. This can be supported as babies spend an increased amount of hours in REM as they're going through vital brain developmental stages.
Really doubt we will get a 10 mark question saying discuss, that's usually only in "psychology in action" (psya4)

Anyways, it would be (4+6)

Thanks!
Shift work and Shift lag

IDA our society relies on shift work therefore it is essential to understand and reduce negative effects caused by working shifts.
Many major disasters e.g exxon valdez can be blamed on errors arising from the disruption of biological rhythms associated with shift work.

An alternative explanation, Shift work may not just be due to direct effects of disruption of rhythms, but indirectly as such things as social deprivation and family disruption e.g divorce rates rise up to 60% in shift worker (soloman)

IDA Research found systems that have few negative effects:
Gold et al non- fluctuating shifts i.e week of working days, followed a week of working nights.
Bambra et al - forward - rotating shifts (phase delay) are better than backward - rotating shifts

IDA Artificial light used to entrain circadian rhythms and promote wakefulness.
Boivin with bright light reset biological clock, 3 days bight light advanced biological clock by 5 hours, ordinary light 1 hour and dim hour delay.

Lab experiment - lab experiments demonstrate causal relationship but should be confirmed by more natural studies. Boivin and James studies nurses at work, bright light promoted circadian adaptation (supported in lab studies).

Jet travel and jet lag

Alternative explanation, the effects of jet lag may be due to other factors such as long hours, annoyance etc

IDA melatonin may reduce the effect of jet lags because it naturally induces sleep.
Herxheimer and Petire reviewed 10 studies found melatonin is very effective taken before bedtime but taken any other time causes delay reaction to local time.

IDA social cues to entrain biological rhythms, to help cope with lag eat and sleep right times. may be because oscillators, found in body reset by eating.
fuller et al found period of fasting followed by eating at the right time help to entrain biological rhythms.

Individual difference
some people circadian is more effected than others.
Reniberg et al found people whose circadian rhythms adapt more slowly actually cope best with shift work/ jet travel.

hope this helps

Does anyone have any a02 points for shift work and jet lag - i am definitely lacking those!

Also, for the restoration theory of sleep, does anybody have any a02?

Thanks in adavance.
In doing:
Aggression
Eating
and Gender, does anyone know what may come up for these?
Am I the only one majorly panicking? :frown: :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2871
Original post by hhh123

And erm.. I'm afriad nature of sleep and functions of sleep are completely different areas. According to the spec and what I've been taught anyway.

Nature of sleep: Stages, Physiology, Lifespan changes.
Function of sleep: Restoration and Evolutionary.

Oh yes, that's what I meant, my bad. :smile:
Reply 2872
Just learn Nature of Sleep inside out and back to front. It had better come up!
Reply 2873
I have a slight feeling that bio rhythms will come up - it wasnt in the Jan 2012 paper I dont think, and is very likely to be asked. Im hoping that sleep disorders doesnt come up - i hate that topic of the section lol
Original post by chelseeaxo
In doing:
Aggression
Eating
and Gender, does anyone know what may come up for these?
Am I the only one majorly panicking? :frown: :frown:

Eating - most of it's been covered tbh, but success/failure might come up since it hasn't been seen since 2010. Biological/evolutionary stuff might come up too.
Gender - people think biosocial, dysphoria, biological, gender schema theory and evolutionary might come up.

Stuff like social influences, androgyny and culture have come up already, so has Kohlberg's GD theory. AQA could be nasty and do those little 5 mark questions on them though.

I'm probably just gonna go over all 3 units in their entirety, fml.
Shift work and Shift lag

IDA our society relies on shift work therefore it is essential to understand and reduce negative effects caused by working shifts.
Many major disasters e.g exxon valdez can be blamed on errors arising from the disruption of biological rhythms associated with shift work.

An alternative explanation, Shift work may not just be due to direct effects of disruption of rhythms, but indirectly as such things as social deprivation and family disruption e.g divorce rates rise up to 60% in shift worker (soloman)

IDA Research found systems that have few negative effects:
Gold et al non- fluctuating shifts i.e week of working days, followed a week of working nights.
Bambra et al - forward - rotating shifts (phase delay) are better than backward - rotating shifts

IDA Artificial light used to entrain circadian rhythms and promote wakefulness.
Boivin with bright light reset biological clock, 3 days bight light advanced biological clock by 5 hours, ordinary light 1 hour and dim hour delay.

Lab experiment - lab experiments demonstrate causal relationship but should be confirmed by more natural studies. Boivin and James studies nurses at work, bright light promoted circadian adaptation (supported in lab studies).

Jet travel and jet lag

Alternative explanation, the effects of jet lag may be due to other factors such as long hours, annoyance etc

IDA melatonin may reduce the effect of jet lags because it naturally induces sleep.
Herxheimer and Petire reviewed 10 studies found melatonin is very effective taken before bedtime but taken any other time causes delay reaction to local time.

IDA social cues to entrain biological rhythms, to help cope with lag eat and sleep right times. may be because oscillators, found in body reset by eating.
fuller et al found period of fasting followed by eating at the right time help to entrain biological rhythms.

Individual difference
some people circadian is more effected than others.
Reniberg et al found people whose circadian rhythms adapt more slowly actually cope best with shift work/ jet travel.

hope this helps

Does anyone have any a02 points for shift work and jet lag - i am definitely lacking those!

Also, for the restoration theory of sleep, does anybody have any a02?

Thanks in adavance.
Reply 2876
Original post by Leeshur
Nvm, i'm good - I talked about Bauer's study into gender schemas over time. Boys having superior recall of male stereotyped gender activities at the expense of female and gender neutral ones and girls displaying equal recall in all 3 activities.

To evaluate that, say that if gender awareness drives gender behaviour, the sex difference shouldn't occur! suggesting other factors are important such as biological x
Reply 2877
Do you think i should revise breakdown it has come up in last paper
Reply 2878
I know I've already asked this but I want other peoples opinions. What are your predictions for aggression, eating behaviour and cognition & development?

Reply 2879
For biological rhythms I seem to be trying to gain AO2 marks from evaluating studies. Does anyone have any general AO2 points for biological rhythms please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending