The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by :)J
i am like 97% sure that social influences for gender will not come up this time - its already come up twice with the last time being january 2012. PLEASE DONT LET SOCIAL INFLUENCES COME UP, PLEASE

if it comes up, AQA are harsh. I swear they did a 24mark question on that already?
Reply 2941
Original post by Dollyandra
Genetics - Lin et al found a genetic defect in dogs on chromosome 12, found to be responsible for the regulation of HCRT receptors. This suggests that the link between HCRT and narcolepsy is likely, however these findings are n/a to humans as the genes do not strictly correlate; the principle is applicable though
(IDA use of animals in research etc)

Wickens injected HCRT into sleep-related areas of the human brain
found a huge increase in REM sleep - shows that HCRT system is directly involved in the control of REM sleep

If you find yourself with an excess of AO1, you could turn it into AO2 by saying 'this has been supported by'...I know that's what I'm doing for sure! :smile:

Thanks, I've got enough AO2 points on hypocretin, but my other explanation is HLA/autoimmune disease and I only have two AO2 points on that. :frown:
Original post by WrongSideUp
Can someone elaborate on these two AO1 points in sleepwalking so I can include them in my work please?

"Incomplete arousal in SWS, delta and beta brain waves (found in SWS and awake state) present"

and this one

"Motor activity not inhibited, SWS immature (Olivero, 2008)."

Olivero - GABA is a motor activity inhibitor. In controls, GABA levels rise during the night to inhibit physical movement. Olivero theorises that sleepwalkers have an underdeveloped GABA system, meaning that their motor movements aren't inhibited. He also uses this theory to explain the high incidences of sleepwalking in young children ~ GABA systems are still developing

Bassetti believes that some areas are 'selectively activated' and others 'selectively inhibited' during sleepwalking, unlike controls (found from cerebral blood flow studies); the brain is believed to be in a different state (I also found this a bit vague!)
i am like 97% sure that social influences for gender will not come up this time - its already come up twice with the last time being january 2012. PLEASE DONT LET SOCIAL INFLUENCES COME UP, PLEASE

Oh that's great news! Hopefully it won't then :tongue: still hoping for a biological gender essay because it's easy to snake the nature / nurture debate under pressure for! I'd really rather not get a Kohlberg / Gender Schema essay :s It's the sort of thing that I know I'd draw a blank on in exam conditions.
Original post by WrongSideUp
Can someone elaborate on these two AO1 points in sleepwalking so I can include them in my work please?
"Incomplete arousal in SWS, delta and beta brain waves (found in SWS and awake state) present"

Incomplete arousal means that their brain is not fully in an aroused sleep phase, so they may show behaviour characteristics similar to those of the awake brain, i.e sleepwalking

"Motor activity not inhibited, SWS immature (Olivero, 2008)."

Motor activity not being inhibited means that they are still able to move their body. This being in deep sleep (SWS) means they are able to activley move their body in deep sleep thus they are more likley to sleepwalk, because their body is avaliable to move.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2945
Original post by Leeshur
if it comes up, AQA are harsh. I swear they did a 24mark question on that already?

Oh the topic 'social influences' has come up 3 times, not twice*

june 2010 was a split question
outline social factos that may influence gender roles (4)
use research evidence to assess the influence of such factors on gender roles (16)

june 2012
outline and evluuate cross-cultural studies of gender role (4+8)

jan 2012
describe research into social influence of gender (8)
assess the important of social influences on gender

so if it does come up, itll be cross cultural influences, but i realllly doubt it, unless they want to be plonkers and make me fail this exam haha
Reply 2946
Original post by sophiered
Oh that's great news! Hopefully it won't then :tongue: still hoping for a biological gender essay because it's easy to snake the nature / nurture debate under pressure for! I'd really rather not get a Kohlberg / Gender Schema essay :s It's the sort of thing that I know I'd draw a blank on in exam conditions.

A question on Kohlberg & Gender Schema theory would be a gift! I'll be writing the essay with a grin on my face.. doubt it's gonna happen though.
I'm also hoping for a biology based gender question. Knowing my luck, the questions will be based on the sections I've done the least amount of work for.
Thanks a lot, the both of you! :smile:

Olivero - GABA is a motor activity inhibitor. In controls, GABA levels rise during the night to inhibit physical movement. Olivero theorises that sleepwalkers have an underdeveloped GABA system, meaning that their motor movements aren't inhibited. He also uses this theory to explain the high incidences of sleepwalking in young children ~ GABA systems are still developing

Bassetti believes that some areas are 'selectively activated' and others 'selectively inhibited' during sleepwalking, unlike controls (found from cerebral blood flow studies); the brain is believed to be in a different state (I also found this a bit vague!)

Original post by swiftylol
Incomplete arousal means that their brain is not fully in an aroused sleep phase, so they may show behaviour characteristics similar to those of the awake brain, i.e sleepwalking

Motor activity not being inhibited means that they are still able to move their body. This being in deep sleep (SWS) means they are able to activley move their body in deep sleep thus they are more likley to sleepwalk, because their body is avaliable to move.
so, whats the overall prediction on whats coming up then guys? revision going well?
I've heard that if you don't include an IDA in your essay, AO2 marks are limited to 8/16 - anyone know if this is true? (http://www.brain-freeze.co.uk/psychologya2notes.html > 'Help for writing A2 psychology essays' )
Reply 2950
Oh the topic 'social influences' has come up 3 times, not twice*

june 2010 was a split question
outline social factos that may influence gender roles (4)
use research evidence to assess the influence of such factors on gender roles (16)

june 2012
outline and evluuate cross-cultural studies of gender role (4+8)

jan 2012
describe research into social influence of gender (8)
assess the important of social influences on gender

so if it does come up, itll be cross cultural influences, but i realllly doubt it, unless they want to be plonkers and make me fail this exam haha

I'm thinking evolutionary or genes and hormones!
Reply 2951
For a 5 marker on circadian rhythms, is it necessary to outline what EP and EZ are?
I've heard that if you don't include an IDA in your essay, AO2 marks are limited to 8/16 - anyone know if this is true? (http://www.brain-freeze.co.uk/psychologya2notes.html > 'Help for writing A2 psychology essays' )

It's true.
Original post by pete clark
so, whats the overall prediction on whats coming up then guys? revision going well?

Bio rythms & sleep -> Rythms + EZ and/or EP, disorders of sleep
Aggression -> Social causes, genetic causes
Relationships -> Sexual selection
Got Eye of the Tiger on loop while I go through this stuff. :cool:

Yeah, IDA's are one of the main factors in the A02 marking for this exam. Essentially it's best just to pick an IDA to run with for each essay (nature / nurture works for loads of them and is the easiest, for ones that it doesn't work for cultural usually works) and then just force it in throughout the essay.

Synopticity is also important, you need to include some synoptic evidence for a high mark, which is ****e for me because I always forget it and am awful at it. :tongue:
Hi guys,

Does anyone know some good revision sites (not Scool) for this exam? wanted something else rather than just reading my notes over and over again.

Also, what do people think will come up for SLEEP/RELATIONSHIP/EATING. would be interesting to see what people thing.

Finally can anyone remember what came up for sleep in the jan exam?

Thanks
Reply 2957
Original post by Bjcross
I'm thinking evolutionary or genes and hormones!

I think so too! or GST - but i hope its not one w/ Kohlberg, or that would suck.

Do you know if they can ask a question about dysphoria on its own?
Original post by Louismoore16
Hi guys,

Does anyone know some good revision sites (not Scool) for this exam? wanted something else rather than just reading my notes over and over again.

Also, what do people think will come up for SLEEP/RELATIONSHIP/EATING. would be interesting to see what people thing.

Finally can anyone remember what came up for sleep in the jan exam?

Thanks

Sleep - Rhythms/restoration theory/insomnia
Eating - Attitudes to food/success & failure of dieting/biological for eating disorder

Jan 2012 for sleep was evolutionary explanations :smile:
If anyone wants some confidence going into the exam tomorrow and know their ums check this out :wink:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA_W_2180_GS.PDF

Quick Reply