Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WrongSideUp)
    Can someone elaborate on these two AO1 points in sleepwalking so I can include them in my work please?

"Incomplete arousal in SWS, delta and beta brain waves (found in SWS and awake state) present"

and this one

"Motor activity not inhibited, SWS immature (Olivero, 2008)."
    Olivero - GABA is a motor activity inhibitor. In controls, GABA levels rise during the night to inhibit physical movement. Olivero theorises that sleepwalkers have an underdeveloped GABA system, meaning that their motor movements aren't inhibited. He also uses this theory to explain the high incidences of sleepwalking in young children ~ GABA systems are still developing

Bassetti believes that some areas are 'selectively activated' and others 'selectively inhibited' during sleepwalking, unlike controls (found from cerebral blood flow studies); the brain is believed to be in a different state (I also found this a bit vague!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :)J)
    i am like 97% sure that social influences for gender will not come up this time - its already come up twice with the last time being january 2012. PLEASE DONT LET SOCIAL INFLUENCES COME UP, PLEASE

Oh that's great news! Hopefully it won't then still hoping for a biological gender essay because it's easy to snake the nature / nurture debate under pressure for! I'd really rather not get a Kohlberg / Gender Schema essay :s It's the sort of thing that I know I'd draw a blank on in exam conditions.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WrongSideUp)
    Can someone elaborate on these two AO1 points in sleepwalking so I can include them in my work please?
    "Incomplete arousal in SWS, delta and beta brain waves (found in SWS and awake state) present"
    Incomplete arousal means that their brain is not fully in an aroused sleep phase, so they may show behaviour characteristics similar to those of the awake brain, i.e sleepwalking
    "Motor activity not inhibited, SWS immature (Olivero, 2008)."
    Motor activity not being inhibited means that they are still able to move their body. This being in deep sleep (SWS) means they are able to activley move their body in deep sleep thus they are more likley to sleepwalk, because their body is avaliable to move.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeshur)
    if it comes up, AQA are harsh. I swear they did a 24mark question on that already?
    Oh the topic 'social influences' has come up 3 times, not twice*

june 2010 was a split question
    outline social factos that may influence gender roles (4)
    use research evidence to assess the influence of such factors on gender roles (16)

june 2012
    outline and evluuate cross-cultural studies of gender role (4+8)

jan 2012
    describe research into social influence of gender (8)
    assess the important of social influences on gender

so if it does come up, itll be cross cultural influences, but i realllly doubt it, unless they want to be plonkers and make me fail this exam haha
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiered)
    Oh that's great news! Hopefully it won't then still hoping for a biological gender essay because it's easy to snake the nature / nurture debate under pressure for! I'd really rather not get a Kohlberg / Gender Schema essay :s It's the sort of thing that I know I'd draw a blank on in exam conditions.
    A question on Kohlberg & Gender Schema theory would be a gift! I'll be writing the essay with a grin on my face.. doubt it's gonna happen though.
    I'm also hoping for a biology based gender question. Knowing my luck, the questions will be based on the sections I've done the least amount of work for.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, the both of you!

(Original post by Dollyandra)
    Olivero - GABA is a motor activity inhibitor. In controls, GABA levels rise during the night to inhibit physical movement. Olivero theorises that sleepwalkers have an underdeveloped GABA system, meaning that their motor movements aren't inhibited. He also uses this theory to explain the high incidences of sleepwalking in young children ~ GABA systems are still developing

Bassetti believes that some areas are 'selectively activated' and others 'selectively inhibited' during sleepwalking, unlike controls (found from cerebral blood flow studies); the brain is believed to be in a different state (I also found this a bit vague!)

(Original post by swiftylol)
    Incomplete arousal means that their brain is not fully in an aroused sleep phase, so they may show behaviour characteristics similar to those of the awake brain, i.e sleepwalking

Motor activity not being inhibited means that they are still able to move their body. This being in deep sleep (SWS) means they are able to activley move their body in deep sleep thus they are more likley to sleepwalk, because their body is avaliable to move.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    so, whats the overall prediction on whats coming up then guys? revision going well?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that if you don't include an IDA in your essay, AO2 marks are limited to 8/16 - anyone know if this is true? (http://www.brain-freeze.co.uk/psychologya2notes.html > 'Help for writing A2 psychology essays' )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :)J)
    Oh the topic 'social influences' has come up 3 times, not twice*

june 2010 was a split question
    outline social factos that may influence gender roles (4)
    use research evidence to assess the influence of such factors on gender roles (16)

june 2012
    outline and evluuate cross-cultural studies of gender role (4+8)

jan 2012
    describe research into social influence of gender (8)
    assess the important of social influences on gender

so if it does come up, itll be cross cultural influences, but i realllly doubt it, unless they want to be plonkers and make me fail this exam haha
    I'm thinking evolutionary or genes and hormones!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    For a 5 marker on circadian rhythms, is it necessary to outline what EP and EZ are?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that if you don't include an IDA in your essay, AO2 marks are limited to 8/16 - anyone know if this is true? (http://www.brain-freeze.co.uk/psychologya2notes.html > 'Help for writing A2 psychology essays' )
    It's true.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pete clark)
    so, whats the overall prediction on whats coming up then guys? revision going well?
    Bio rythms & sleep -> Rythms + EZ and/or EP, disorders of sleep
    Aggression -> Social causes, genetic causes
    Relationships -> Sexual selection
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got Eye of the Tiger on loop while I go through this stuff. :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Yeah, IDA's are one of the main factors in the A02 marking for this exam. Essentially it's best just to pick an IDA to run with for each essay (nature / nurture works for loads of them and is the easiest, for ones that it doesn't work for cultural usually works) and then just force it in throughout the essay.

Synopticity is also important, you need to include some synoptic evidence for a high mark, which is ****e for me because I always forget it and am awful at it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know some good revision sites (not Scool) for this exam? wanted something else rather than just reading my notes over and over again.

Also, what do people think will come up for SLEEP/RELATIONSHIP/EATING. would be interesting to see what people thing.

Finally can anyone remember what came up for sleep in the jan exam?

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bjcross)
    I'm thinking evolutionary or genes and hormones!
    I think so too! or GST - but i hope its not one w/ Kohlberg, or that would suck.

Do you know if they can ask a question about dysphoria on its own?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louismoore16)
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know some good revision sites (not Scool) for this exam? wanted something else rather than just reading my notes over and over again.

Also, what do people think will come up for SLEEP/RELATIONSHIP/EATING. would be interesting to see what people thing.

Finally can anyone remember what came up for sleep in the jan exam?

Thanks
    Sleep - Rhythms/restoration theory/insomnia
    Eating - Attitudes to food/success & failure of dieting/biological for eating disorder

Jan 2012 for sleep was evolutionary explanations
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants some confidence going into the exam tomorrow and know their ums check this out

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA_W_2180_GS.PDF
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Insomnia is making me boredddd.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiered)
    Yeah, IDA's are one of the main factors in the A02 marking for this exam. Essentially it's best just to pick an IDA to run with for each essay (nature / nurture works for loads of them and is the easiest, for ones that it doesn't work for cultural usually works) and then just force it in throughout the essay.

Synopticity is also important, you need to include some synoptic evidence for a high mark, which is ****e for me because I always forget it and am awful at it.
    Thank you! What do you mean by 'synoptic evidence' exactly? Also is analysing methodology an IDA?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 3, 2013
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.