The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SecretCircus
Yeah yours is structured pretty differently from mine - good luck though :smile:. I have English and Psych tomorrow, and let's just say I haven't exactly done a lot of English revision. OUCH, 10 days straight is awful..I'm struggling enough as it is with another exam on Wednesday, Friday then the following Monday and Tuesday.

i only have 3 - yay! but all at once. i think that there should be atleast a day between exams, they complain that our grades are getting lower - well separate exams. people focus on one subject rather than 3 or more! we had psych and soc on the same day in Jan - guessing you did too? it was horrific. good luck with yours too! :smile:
Reply 3061
can someone please tell me some IDAs to the biosocial approach of gender?
IDA's for SLT?
i can only think of real life application, validity of bobo doll study :l
Ok, maybe I should spend more time revising and less time looking through this thread! Good luck with revision guys, and as unconfident about this exam as I am, we can all do it :smile:. x
Reply 3064
Original post by idealized
IDA's for SLT?

Reductionism/Nature V Nuture - It ignores hormones and genetics etc.
Cultural Bias - Much research has been carried out in westernized cultures.
Lack of objective measures - Validity is poor.
Original post by Smarty967
i only have 3 - yay! but all at once. i think that there should be atleast a day between exams, they complain that our grades are getting lower - well separate exams. people focus on one subject rather than 3 or more! we had psych and soc on the same day in Jan - guessing you did too? it was horrific. good luck with yours too! :smile:

Lucky! I (stupidly) didn't drop a subject last year so I've got 4 A2s. It was fine up until I had to start revising, I would be feeling much more confident if I didn't have sociology to revise for on top of psychology. Sociology is practically the same with the amount of studies we have to learn :redface:. I have no idea, my school never does Jan exams unless you do the core sciences/maths but they probably were on the same day. I would've died if I'd done them in January. Thank you :smile:.
Reply 3066
People doing Eating Behaviours - Have you revised neural mechanisms? It came up in Jan 2012?
Original post by hhh123
People doing Eating Behaviours - Have you revised neural mechanisms? It came up in Jan 2012?

only as a 4 marker, but i doubt that would come up
Original post by hhh123

Might glance at it but not learning it really :/
Original post by hhh123
Reductionism/Nature V Nuture - It ignores hormones and genetics etc.
Cultural Bias - Much research has been carried out in westernized cultures.
Lack of objective measures - Validity is poor.

thanks, do you have an essay on SLT by any chance? or anyone else ... i need one to look at :biggrin:
i need like 84ums in this exam =(
Omg, I really hate relationships and gender - they're sh*t. Eating behaviour's okay.

It's remembering all these IDA's and studies that are doing my head in. I've got the theory pretty much solid but critiquing it is p*ssing me off.
Original post by idealized
IDA's for SLT?

The children used in Bandura's study were children of his collegues, one researcher claimed to have heard one child pointing at the doll and telling their mum that they had to hit it.

Dont know if this helps or not though :s-smilie:
Original post by hhh123

i doubt it'll come up. it came up in the jan exam as a full essay and it came up recently before that too.

im not even bothering looking at it coz i absolutely hate it
Reply 3073
Original post by Thisishowwedance
I have a horrible feeling that it will because biosocial's only come up once before and I think it was only 4 marks. And its sod's law that the one thing you don't want to come up will! Yeah I'll PM you

Hiya :smile: Thanks for sending me that :smile:
just wondering, is that what you would use if it asked the question asked biosocial app. include gender dysphoria? Or if you would still use this essay plan if it was only 'biosocial approach to gender development'
Reply 3074
Can anyone please share some notes about gender dysphoria? What would you write about if there was a question on it?
Original post by PieEatingHorses
Not to mention you'd get me disqualified too!

Anyone got a parental investment essay I could read? Or an evolutionary explanations of aggressive behaviour? (e.g. sexual jealousy)

Cya latter & Happy revision.

haha good point 8) no i wouldn't, i'venot got the time to move!
infidelity and jealousy? i have a plan :smile:

fear of cuckoldry- woman deceives man into bringing up offspring that's not his. adaptive for men to ensure his genes are passed on and not anothers'. fear of paternity = more distressed over sexual infidelity. possibility of cuckoldry triggers alarm which triggers sexual jealousy and possible aggression. in some cultures 'cockolded' husband has the legal right to murder his wife. counterproductive. wife bearing other's child leaves husband facing a reduction of reproduction success and increase of rival's so killing wife is adaptive.

BUSS - mate retention tactics for purpose of keeping a mate. vigilance, emotional manipulation, possessive ornamentation, monopolistation of time. more frequent, esp vigilance, more likely woman is to report aggressive bhvr from partner. may enable us to identify women at risk of domestic abuse

BUSS ET AL - asked ppts which distressed them more - imagining partner forming deep emotional relationship with another (no physical contact) or enjoying passionate sex (no emotion). 87% of woman more distressed at emotional infidelity (threat to domestic security) 61% men distressed about sexual infidelity (threat to reproductive success). 39% of men who chose emotional, majority hadn't experienced committed sexual relationship, didn't know what they had to lose in terms of reproduction opportunities. Evolutionary mechanism only kicks in once man becomes aware.
WILSON ET AL - 'is he jealous and doesn't want you talking to other men' woman who agreed with statements like this twice as likely to suffer aggressive attacks from partner, 72% requiring medical attention. infidelity and jealousy ensure survival of genes by aggressive acts to warn off other men or prevent woman from straying.

Beauty aids - Myanmar women wear neck rings (stretch and weaken neck muscles) . if man suspects infidelity, he can remove rings with extremely painful and potentially fatal results (unable to breath). Aggressive acts are used as a way to prevent cuckoldry.

Biological approach - evo. ignores biological factors i.e testosterone and it's role in aggressive bhvr.
SLT - aggression learned through obs of role model and imitation. aggression culturally specific? (Myanmar vs Amish?) evo. innate drives overridden by role models and consequences for such bhvr.
suggesting agg. is simply innate drive is oversimplified. Logic in evo, scientific evidence for biology and evidence for SLT. take diathesis-stress approach to incorporate all to get a full explanation as focusing on just one is limiting.

Hope it helps:smile:
I'd appreciate any notes on biosocial for gender, gonna tackle that after evolutionary.
frustration aggression hypothesis, ignores biology (MAOA, testosterone)
Original post by PieEatingHorses
Not to mention you'd get me disqualified too!

Anyone got a parental investment essay I could read? Or an evolutionary explanations of aggressive behaviour? (e.g. sexual jealousy)

Cya latter & Happy revision.

also, do you have an essay plan for lifespan?
Reply 3079
When was the last time sleep deprivation came up on an exam paper?
or Brain structures for aggression?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending