The Student Room Group

Please help..Contract law question (inivitation to treat)

On Paul's advert it says

"Help required:
Lost Rolex gold watch-£350 to anyone who can return the watch or has information relating to it's safe return. Ring 01234 567890"

Does this imply an invitation to treat or offer? what can I say about this advert?

Also which cases can I use apart from smoke ball?

thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
im not sure if thats invitation to treat :s-smilie:, as it seems to me he made an offer with a condition, and if someone satisfy the offer he made an conntract :s-smilie:, there are some cases where an offer can be accepted by silence but in general an acceptace must be communicated to the offeree. i would advise to buy the ontract law express book about £10, it a small book with all the rules and some important cases, its realy straight forward book and a start for sorting out all the rules etc.

i think your case is more related to rewards rather invtation to treat, an example of invitation of treat: teenager (under 17) goes into a shop, alcohol is displayed, the person takes it to the till and wants to buy it, but is refused.
that the alcohol is displayed on the shelf is an invtation to treat but is not an offer, the offer was made by the customer on the till, and the cashiers has the option to accept that offer or not.

accordid to rewards i member one important case which suits to your case but dont member the name :frown:

the facts were that in a newspaper it was stated who comes first in my shop tomorrow morning will get the $100 jacket or somethig gor $1.
i think it was accepted as an offer and that it came into force after the condition was satisfied. :s

i would advise you to look at rewards cases such as police cases, dog missed, etc
:s-smilie:
im sorry i cant help you out with case names i done contract last year and dont member the name :colondollar:
i hope it helps you alot.
Original post by hasi

accordid to rewards i member one important case which suits to your case but dont member the name :frown:

the facts were that in a newspaper it was stated who comes first in my shop tomorrow morning will get the $100 jacket or somethig gor $1.
i think it was accepted as an offer and that it came into force after the condition was satisfied. :s

That case is 'Lefkowitz v. Great Minneapolis Surplus Store, Inc', for what it's worth.

However I don't think I would recommend the OP to simply multiply examples of cases which contained a unilateral offer as that would not really advance his answer to this problem question. Probably Carlill is more than enough to show that you know what a unilateral offer is and that this is one.
Original post by 99luft Balons
On Paul's advert it says

"Help required:
Lost Rolex gold watch-£350 to anyone who can return the watch or has information relating to it's safe return. Ring 01234 567890"

Does this imply an invitation to treat or offer? what can I say about this advert?

Also which cases can I use apart from smoke ball?

thanks

With respect 99, if you're struggling with what I presume to be one seminar into contract law, have you thought about considering whether law is for you?
Reply 4
On what planet is it an ITT? Someone's going to phone up "Hello, I have your watch - but I was thinking more along the lines of £500."
"It doesn't actually work"
"Ok, how about £450?"
"Done."
This:

Original post by Forum User
That case is 'Lefkowitz v. Great Minneapolis Surplus Store, Inc', for what it's worth.

However I don't think I would recommend the OP to simply multiply examples of cases which contained a unilateral offer as that would not really advance his answer to this problem question. Probably Carlill is more than enough to show that you know what a unilateral offer is and that this is one.
Original post by wildcolonialboy
With respect 99, if you're struggling with what I presume to be one seminar into contract law, have you thought about considering whether law is for you?

... Don't be a d1ck.
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
... Don't be a d1ck.

I have no problem with someone asking reasonable questions, but if someone is just posting what they're expected to bring along for their tutorial in the apparent hope someone will answer the question for them, it seems a bit cheeky.
Cheeky,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending