The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Notts accommodation advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm going back to nottingham tomorrow so I'll definitely have a look at the accommodation, I was going to apply to spc as my first but I've heard such mixed stuff about it... broadgate park sounds nice but because I'm doing a joint honours and need access to both campuses its not really practical :frown:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by JosieG
I'm going back to nottingham tomorrow so I'll definitely have a look at the accommodation, I was going to apply to spc as my first but I've heard such mixed stuff about it... broadgate park sounds nice but because I'm doing a joint honours and need access to both campuses its not really practical :frown:

I definitely recommend checking out opal one, it has identical prices as broadgate park and it is much nicer and more modern. Oh and it is a couple of minutes away from jubilee and an 8 minute shuttle from university park.

Tell me what you think of it when you visit. Good luck
Reply 22
I'm think all my lectures are gonna be on Jubilee campus in the Chinese building, but I'd prefer to be living on UP. Stupid decision?
Reply 23
Original post by AT1719
I definitely recommend checking out opal one, it has identical prices as broadgate park and it is much nicer and more modern. Oh and it is a couple of minutes away from jubilee and an 8 minute shuttle from university park.

Tell me what you think of it when you visit. Good luck

I applied first thing this morning! SPC and raleigh park are so nice, and i put broadgate as my 3rd... hopefully i should get my first choice though as i applied so early. unfortunately i didnt get a chance to have a look round opal 1 :frown:
Reply 24
Hi all!
what's your opinion on safety around Opal, raleigh, SPC? I've seen few people saying it's not so safe. I recall someone saying something about getting company to go from raleigh park to jubilee. Of course I don't want to depend on someone getting in and out of my hall to feel safe! And then radford is right there. I suppose who lives in opal has to shopping on that area (I've seen something bad about radford too). So, is it true? There are some safety issues around that area, specially walking on the street at night, even if it's early?
Reply 25
Original post by hagc
Hi all!
what's your opinion on safety around Opal, raleigh, SPC? I've seen few people saying it's not so safe. I recall someone saying something about getting company to go from raleigh park to jubilee. Of course I don't want to depend on someone getting in and out of my hall to feel safe! And then radford is right there. I suppose who lives in opal has to shopping on that area (I've seen something bad about radford too). So, is it true? There are some safety issues around that area, specially walking on the street at night, even if it's early?

unless youre paranoid and afraid of the dark its compleatly fine
Reply 26
Original post by hagc
Hi all!

I've spoken to a local guy from Notts and he said that Beeston and the surrounding areas are really safe. Just avoid Bullwell et al, since they're kind of ruff, gang-ish areas.
Reply 27
Original post by Jin3011
I've spoken to a local guy from Notts and he said that Beeston and the surrounding areas are really safe. Just avoid Bullwell et al, since they're kind of ruff, gang-ish areas.

Beeston is fine. son has lived there for two years now and loves it there. No probs at all/
Reply 28
Original post by olddad
Beeston is fine. son has lived there for two years now and loves it there. No probs at all/

Yep I know:smile: Just glad that the more 'rougher' areas aren't too near to there.
Reply 29
I started my course in September 2011 but I'm transferring course so I have to restart next year. SPC is too expensive for what it is and as good as some experiences of it were, the bad ones outweighed the good.
eg. our kettle and toaster broke and we asked them to replace them like 6 times, they finally replaced it after 6 weeks.
our flats fire alarm didn't work, so when there actually was a fire, we didn't realise. I was watching something on my laptop at the time and during a quiet bit I heard this ringing, so I went out to see what it was and it was the next flats fire alarm, there was a fire on the bottom floor :s-smilie:

I do know plenty of people who really enjoy SPC, but just be aware and research all about it first, there are a few forums on here that are anti-UNITE.

I also know someone who had their £1000 laptop stolen from their Raleigh Park room... I think Broadgate would be your best bet :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by kiai8
I started my course in September 2011 but I'm transferring course so I have to restart next year. SPC is too expensive for what it is and as good as some experiences of it were, the bad ones outweighed the good.
eg. our kettle and toaster broke and we asked them to replace them like 6 times, they finally replaced it after 6 weeks.
our flats fire alarm didn't work, so when there actually was a fire, we didn't realise. I was watching something on my laptop at the time and during a quiet bit I heard this ringing, so I went out to see what it was and it was the next flats fire alarm, there was a fire on the bottom floor :s-smilie:

I do know plenty of people who really enjoy SPC, but just be aware and research all about it first, there are a few forums on here that are anti-UNITE.

I also know someone who had their £1000 laptop stolen from their Raleigh Park room... I think Broadgate would be your best bet :smile:

Surely they are just bad experiences you've had?!

The kettle issue...just be more firm and they'll replace it quicker. If not, how much is a cheap kettle? Not a lot at all.

The stolen laptop...this happens at every halls at every uni every year and usually starts with the stupidity of leaving your room's door unlocked and having people you don't know that well in your flat. Lock your door and it ain't an issue.

The fire alarm issue...be firm and it'll get fixed. If that still doesn't work then report them to the university and the Fire Service, which will make sure it gets fixed pretty much straightaway. Or ultimately just don't start fires.
Reply 31
I'm a little confused about the whole process of applying for accomodation, and I need someone to clarify things for me. I want to apply for BGP or SPC as I want to be Self-Catered in an En-Suite room. Will I be applying through the Notts Uni portal (https://accommodation.nottingham.ac.uk/default_all.asp) or from the respective website of the places I want to apply to. Say for example BGP (http://www.uppbroadgatepark.com/2011_form/apply.html)

Any help is appreciated.
Reply 32
Original post by Kasarna
I'm a little confused about the whole process of applying for accomodation, and I need someone to clarify things for me. I want to apply for BGP or SPC as I want to be Self-Catered in an En-Suite room. Will I be applying through the Notts Uni portal (https://accommodation.nottingham.ac.uk/default_all.asp) or from the respective website of the places I want to apply to. Say for example BGP (http://www.uppbroadgatepark.com/2011_form/apply.html)

Any help is appreciated.

Took me less than a minute to see this on that site...

"PLEASE NOTE all 1st year Undergraduate applications for
Broadgate Park accommodation MUST go through
The University of Nottingham"
Reply 33
If I put nottingham as my insurance choice and I dont get into my first choice will i still be able to have some form of preference to what halls i get at nottingham?

whats the procedure for applying to accommodation if its not your firm?
One room available in a friendly all male six bed flat for 2012/13.
Located within a very short walk of the Nottingham Trent University and the City Centre. The property benefits from a large open plan kitchen/lounge with washer/dryer, fridge/ freezer, microwave and cooker plus a flat screen TV.
Bedrooms are fully furnished including a 3/4 size bed. Free internet and utillities are included in the price of £82pw.
For more information message me or contact Megaclose via this link. http://www.megaclose.com/accommodation_detail.php?id=425
Reply 35
Original post by mefa
If I put nottingham as my insurance choice and I dont get into my first choice will i still be able to have some form of preference to what halls i get at nottingham?

whats the procedure for applying to accommodation if its not your firm?

No one gets to choose a hall or even make a preference.
Reply 36
Original post by BrenLee
No one gets to choose a hall or even make a preference.

...if you pick University Park. You still have choice off-campus.
Reply 37
Original post by scbond

Only if you have firmed Nottingham. If it's your insurance, you have to wait until results day.
Reply 38
Original post by scbond

There is no such thing as University Park off-campus.

Just to reiterate. No one will get a hall preference, no matter when you apply.
Reply 39
Original post by scbond
Ok cheers. If I don't go for Cotton Mills then it's gonna be between Broadgate Park, Raleigh Park and St. Peter's Court.

Those are the 3 I went for! really loved SPC and raleigh park when I visited a few weeks ago :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest