Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hard Drugs Should be Legal, Is my Argument Correct?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Government has a duty and a responsibility to protect its citizens. Hard drugs should never be legalised and probably never will be, in my opinion. What message does it send out to our young people and to the rest of the world if we have extremely dangerous substances like heroin legalised in our country? Government should be more authoritarian than libertarian in areas such as this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    Government has a duty and a responsibility to protect its citizens. Hard drugs should never be legalised and probably never will be, in my opinion. What message does it send out to our young people and to the rest of the world if we have extremely dangerous substances like heroin legalised in our country? Government should be more authoritarian than libertarian in areas such as this.

Well in sense you would control it a lot more.

Legalising, allowing big firms to take over the market making it harder for underground and black market gangs to compete, meaning drug related organised crime would decrease.

Licensing and regulation means criminals would find it harder to even legally sell drugs.

Taxation would put more money in the treasury and take the monetary strain off the nhs/tax payer. Essentially drug users would be somewhat paying for their treatment, if they need it (not all do).

Less organised crime due to the take over of the market plus less chance of the importation of illegal drugs mean it would also take the strain off of the police and armed forces, and hence invitably the taxpayer.

It's already easy enough to get drugs, probably just as easy now as it would be if they were legal. People that take drugs take them no matter what, and you can't stop them. Those that choose not to take drugs at the moment probably wont take drugs if they were legal (why would they). This counters the argument that drugs should stay illegal because they ruin peoples lives, because essentially that happens anyway, but why make the situation worse by keeping drugs illegal rather than legalise and somewhat control it. Also alcohol, cigarettes, gambling, food addiction, sex addiction, obsession with football equally ruins peoples lives.

You can't fight something you cannot beat, so instead of fighting it, why not work with it and control it?

5 Years After: Portugal's Drug Decriminalization Policy Shows Positive Results
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    For reasons listed above by other users. There would be less harm in reality if they were legal. Gang membership would decrease. There'd arguably be benefits for the NHS from the tax revenue off drugs. Purity and does would be controlled and regulated so less chance of overdoses. If you have a situation where you have to "sign-up" to be able to receive drugs. You have a situation where who is taking what is known, and further preventative measures etc. will be more effective if you know exactly who to target. You could even try for a situation where those on drugs have a mandatory appointment with a doctor, and a psychiatrist once a month to make sure they are okay and to give them help and advice on stopping taking hard drugs.

It would be a much much better system if they were legal. Far safer.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, if I could take heroin under trained supervised conditions, I would. The only thing stopping me is the purity and the dose.

But having said that, I'm not sure I would. Because I would enjoy it so much I would want to do it again. I'm not sure, I think heroin should remain illegal, as it actually poses significant threat. Weed however, well I have been smoking it everyday for like 2 years. If I had been shooting heroin every day for 2 years the story would be a whole lot different.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    One of the big problems with legal hard drugs would be for instance people say under 21 being able to get hold of them(look at underage drinking for example), the young mind needs to develop before it is introduced to mind altering drugs, anyone supplying to youth punished by death.
    But people under 21 can easily get them now, and at the moment there is no age restriction because they are illegal. A dealer doesn't care how old they are, they will sell heroin to anyone. If they were legal and age restricted there would be less chance younger people would get the hard drugs not more.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    "What you are refering to is 'OH YEAH I DON'T WANNA USE HEROIN SO I NEED THE GOVERNMENT TO PROTECT ME AND MAKE THESE LAWS!!!!!!"

Sorry if that is a bit cyncical, but that's what you are saying, I don't need the state to tell me to not use heroin, 99% of the population don't, they make a choice based on consequences or perceived advantages.

The message that particular substances are illegal sends out the message to young people "hmmm, they say I shouldn't do this, so I'll break the rules". I think this applies mostly to younger teenagers. If they are educated like we are quite well today about hard drugs, and the fact young people can just read about the overdoses, deaths, pictures of junkies, personal expirience of drug use, people they know and the negative effects etc ect That is a positive way to reduce drug use.

I think of heroin as something like suicide. The end result is the same, death, its just how long it takes to get there. People don't commit suicide because they don't want to die, people don't take heroin because its so harmful, addictive and dangerous, and will lead to death with enough time, not because its illegal.

Please, think it through

Most people don't take heroin because its absolutely insanse to do so, seriously.

Additionally, it sends out a message to the world that this country has reached a level of advancemet and responsibility that drugs can be legal. Because that's what most people are.

Lastly, the government doesn't have responsibility, people have responsibility, only very few don't have this luxary, let me stress this, very very few.

And for people that hold the view that the government are the people, that you logic is flawed, if the government has that power over personal choice, then so do the people.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "To criminalise is to completely deregulate"

I can't remember the exact quote, but that's the gist of it, and it's completely true.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
    But people under 21 can easily get them now, and at the moment there is no age restriction because they are illegal. A dealer doesn't care how old they are, they will sell heroin to anyone. If they were legal and age restricted there would be less chance younger people would get the hard drugs not more.
    Well we have the SAS so they should put a bullet in these sorts:eek:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of the big problems with legal hard drugs would be for instance people say under 21 being able to get hold of them(look at underage drinking for example), the young mind needs to develop before it is introduced to mind altering drugs, anyone supplying to youth punished by death. Would be a very difficult system to run.
    Young people aren't all of a sudden going to start using heroin, how much do I have to stress this??

Alcohol is perceived to be less harmful and addictive, there is a massive stigma around heroin for abviousy reasons. And people are using other drugs like ecstacy will find them, and ecstacy (MDMA) is much less harmful than alcohol, actually. Not a lot of people under 21 use ecstacy, that wont change with legality. There is and always will be the stigma that the state has managed to indocrinate into us.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)
    Young people aren't all of a sudden going to start using heroin, how much do I have to stress this??

Alcohol is perceived to be less harmful and addictive, there is a massive stigma around heroin for abviousy reasons. And people are using other drugs like ecstacy will find them, and ecstacy (MDMA) is much less harmful than alcohol, actually. Not a lot of people under 21 use ecstacy, that wont change with legality. There is and always will be the stigma that the state has managed to indocrinate into us.
    No not all, but I would say highly probable that a few would end up on it who otherwise wouldn't have been. Heroin has a one hit addiction or somet like that! Ah sod it get drugs in everything get everyone hooked and then only the strong will survive. nyt
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sure make em legal and free, but make sure whoever takes up the habit signs a disclaimer that they will not require any medical attention should they overdose or their limbs start to rot etc etc. Point being if you take up hard drugs for the sake of it then deal with the consequences and expect no help from anyone. If I ruled the world:rolleyes: We have soldiers in Afghanistan and Turkey is in the EU so we can get plenty of smack at a good price, we are all pally with America and they have access to plenty of the high grade columbian so there's crack and coke sorted and they also are good for the supply of meth, and well the rest I think could be whipped up over here in labs so sorted. Of course we would have to seperate the country up into hard use moderate use and occasional use zones lol same goes for booze. PS some people are not equipped to make a good choice.
    I don't think you get it, the government is keeping these drugs illegal yet subsidising, supporting with military and trafficking the production and product. The government doesn't want the drugs legal because it benefits them and not the people.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    No not all, but I would say highly probable that a few would end up on it who otherwise wouldn't have been. Heroin has a one hit addiction or somet like that! Ah sod it get drugs in everything get everyone hooked and then only the strong will survive. nyt
    Well, why should we stop those who would take it, their choice, their consequences.

The point I am making drugs use will fall with legalisation.

The aim isn't to get everyone hooked, the aim is to stop state tyranny, and to stop the drug war which is claiming hundreds of thousand of lives, stopping the black market trade which fund areas that really are harmful, and will reduce violent crime and gang crime.

The drug war places more disadvantages on the population as a whole.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where one market closes another opens
    "To criminalise is to completely deregulate" as someone mentioned.

I'm not sure what you are saying.

But under a black market there is no regulation, the weak and inefficient (often adverse) state regulation (atleast its some form of regulation) or market regulation or the "hand", consumer democracy or independent watchdogs.

Prohibition does more harm than good to the largest numbers of people who have nothing to do with drugs. It benefits the cartel and the state.

Legalisation is advantageous to most of the population, and destroys the cartel and is a loss for the government.

Junkies remain in any of the situations.

The number that use drugs stays the same of falls with the latter.

Son.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    My opinion is that the illegality of drugs is the most harmful thing about drugs by far. Instead of users purchasing drugs and the money going into the economy and creating revenue for the government, its funding a very dark underworld full of violence, slavery and a whole host of not very pleasant things.

Drugs would be a lot safer for users as well, no more picking up a gram of coke thats 10% coke, 70% lidocaine, 10% rat poison and 10% God knows what.

If people want to abuse their bodies with drugs then they should be able to, and they should pay tax to cover any negative externalities (e.g. healthcare)

Illegality doesn't even stop people taking drugs. Weed, coke, pills, MDMA, ket, MCAT and a few others are all shockingly easy to get when you know the right people, I could get all delivered to my front door faster than a pizza and im not really even that into drugs.

The sooner the government realises this 'war on drugs' is stupid and futile the better the country will be.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buchanan700)
    No. Just No.

Why make any easier for people to get hold of extremely dangerous drugs.
    Drugs don't harm anyone but the user? Are you joking? What about the families, the communities, the NHS, the hard drugs gangs> Not gangs'tas that think they are gangs, but the actual, hard, mafia type gangs that run towns and kill endless amounts of people for the drugs?

Just No.
    The families? They can stop having their family member treated as a criminal for the choices they make and can get help without judgement and the stigma of illegality hanging over them.

The NHS? Finally we can put a tax on these drugs (as we do with alcohol and tobacco) to cover the costs of healthcare from drug use (just as we do with alcohol and tobacco), compare it to the current situation where we all pay for it because there's no tax in the black market. Indeed, you have much less chance of accidental overdose when you have clearly measured, pure products - and with the lack of impurities then many of the drugs are much safer. Legalisation woud be a blessing to the NHS.

The 'hard drugs gangs'? You realise that these organised crime groups are only sustained because of the illegality of drugs? Drugs, along with prostitution, is one of the major sources of revenue for these groups which aren't just 'drug gangs', but organised crime gangs, that's right - by making drugs illegal, we're funding organised crime. As soon as you make all drugs legal, all this funding is gone, why would anyone buy impure drugs for a higher price off these guys when they can just walk into Boots are get their fix? You destroy the gangs by making drugs legal.

So, so, I don't think it sounds too bad - drug wars finished, tragic deaths from impurities in otherwise low-risk drugs a thing of the past, people treated with dignity not as criminals, huge savings in police time, jail space, and the reduced burden on the NHS and finally, liberty for citizens. It doesn't sound quite so bad to me.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    A wise person once said, "I don't want drugs legalised because they're safe, I want them legalised because they're dangerous."

Hard drugs are the first ones I would want legalised, forget marijuana, because this would actually save lives. Heroin or crack addicts are some of the most desperate people in the country and any notion that they should be put into prison for their drug use is frankly insane - that's not going to help them turn their life around. I knew a heroin addict my whole life and he was in and out of prison and it never helped him.

As for the actual substance itself, we all know that on the black market they'll cut the drugs with other substances. This makes overdoses far more likely because it makes it impossible to determine the strength of the drug you're using. When regulated and controlled, you'd be surprised how safe heroin actually is. With harm reduction measures in place to stop the spread of disease as well, many lives could be saved. I just wish such measures could have been in place sooner.

As for the negative impact on families, I grew up with an alcoholic. I'd never want to stop any of you being allowed to drink alcohol now because of that.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    id disagree with legalising hard drugs ... i dont believe they serve any use in modern society, whilst i do sympathise with your view on personnal choice etc. i disagree with the point that they dont harm others, the effects hard drug addictions have on the users family and friends can be truly devastating in many ways, plus the effects certain drugs have on people can be eually horrific with many murders being attributed to people loosing control whilst under the influence of drugs.
    I have seen loss of control but only with drunks.

In B C when they made opium illegal, the police were quite put off because the bars and the fighting in them was seen as more problematic than opium dens where people went to smoke as lay around daydreaming.

Regards
    DL
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeuralGroove)
    The problem is that drugs do negatively impact other people. They cause crimes due to addiction, antisocial behaviour due to intoxication and an increase in healthcare costs.

I can't help but feel that even if this wasn't true, it would still be the place of a government to prevent what would be legal businesses from hooking 'customers' with potentially dangerous, addictive and ruinous products. Grown adults make bad choices, and it is the families of heroin addicts that pay the price.

I can understand the idea that most drugs have fewer detrimental effects than alcohol, but the response to this should surely not be to legalize those drugs, but to question potential regulation of alcohol sales?
    Back to prohibition and organized crime.

Good idea. Not.

Better to legalize so that we can keep pushers away from our children.

Therein lies your duty and not in the control of what and how adults do.
    At present, we are letting our children down.

Regards
    DL
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course Heroin harms others, it's quite narrow minded to suggest otherwise. The addictiveness of the drug can lead to a lot of socio-economic problems, lead to crime to fund the drug etc.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Nah, not a fan of the free markets (I am not but laissez faire free). I'm a centrist but I recognize that free markets and communist can be right at times in their approach to certain problems. The problem I can see arising is more robberies considering it would most likely be the poor that become addicted to harder drugs and stay on them and eventually money will run out hence will start robbing people the same way modern day druggies do. The underclass will be really ****ed over.
    Wrong. Because the price would fall dramatically if you legalised the drugs. They are expensive because the supply is held back to a large extent because it is actually hard work to get these drugs into the country.

It is much safer and cheaper to have drugs sold by nice white middle class business man on the highstreet than from some shady gangsta on the ghetto

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.