The Student Room Group
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website

University of Ulster applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

can anyone tell me were is best/not best to stay in off campus accomm. in coleraine??
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website
I originally got accepted for a room in Atlantic Court at Coleraine, however I read some terrible reviews about them so I asked to be withdrawn and I got accepted into Errigal instead. I'll be in Errigal, House 7078, 1st Floor, Room 7172. Any neighbours? :biggrin:
ciaran how did they let you know? email?
Yes, by e-mail! However, they do operate an online service similar to that of UCAS, but centered around accommodation. Have you been asked to register there yet? Are you awaiting A-Level results?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Desire HD
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anyone know how flexible the university is with grades? I've applied for Diagnostic Radiography and after my disastrous biology A2 exam I'm quite worried that it'll drag me down to a grade below the requirements :frown:. I also did the HPAT and did well in it but I'm not sure if that will be considered at all (seems it was just for deciding on initial offers really).
ive registered for accommodation already awaiting word back the woman in accom. said that i wont hear to july/august time, until my BTEC grades come through. are you going to accommodation open day on the 23rd of june? do you have an unconditional offer?
Original post by danielledortz92
ive registered for accommodation already awaiting word back the woman in accom. said that i wont hear to july/august time, until my BTEC grades come through. are you going to accommodation open day on the 23rd of june? do you have an unconditional offer?

I didn't even know there was an open day! Thanks for that! I probably will now that you've brought it to my attention. Yes, I got an unconditional offer as I sat my A-Levels two years ago. Where are you doing your BTEC? I did two years at BMC doing a Travel and Tourism Foundation Degree. Completely unrelated to what I'm doing next year lol. You mightn't hear from accommodation until you get your BTEC grades, I think that's the case with school students too. Don't panic, you'll be fine! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Desire HD
Reply 67
Ciaran, apart from the accomodation stuff, have you heard from the uni any further from your actual course?

I just hope they havnt forgot about us "Unconditional offer people" :biggrin:

Im sure come A-Level results day we'll get our information.
I haven't actually! I'm not worrying though. I'm enrolled on the course and my accommodation so they can't forget about me :tongue:. Are you still travelling everyday from Belfast?

Original post by Nobacherie
Does anyone know how flexible the university is with grades? I've applied for Diagnostic Radiography and after my disastrous biology A2 exam I'm quite worried that it'll drag me down to a grade below the requirements :frown:. I also did the HPAT and did well in it but I'm not sure if that will be considered at all (seems it was just for deciding on initial offers really).

Every university's flexibility depends upon demand for the course I'm afraid! Granted that this seems to be one of Coleraine's specialties, I imagine that they're pretty inflexible with it. However, don't worry! Everyone surprises themselves with their results and I'm sure you'll do just fine. Plus, Coleraine in particular seem to care very much about the person themselves and the passion that they have for the course. So, if you fall a grade short and they think you'll work hard, I'm sure they'll have a place for you. For example; I know someone who achieved the required grades for English but still got rejected because the university didn't think that they were passionate about it.
Ah right ok! yeah i did my BTEC in the north, Derry. Naw don't get confirmation of accommodation until late July early august.
Original post by Ciarán
I got 3 Unconditional offers. I accepted a place in English and History, start in September! Can't wait :smile:. Going to an open day at the Coleraine campus on Wednesday...

Hi :smile: I've accepted the same course as my insurance, do you happen to know any information on what will be covered in the first year? I always found the website not very informative :frown:
Original post by snailsareslimy
Hi :smile: I've accepted the same course as my insurance, do you happen to know any information on what will be covered in the first year? I always found the website not very informative :frown:

My cousin told me her friend read Dracula, Bridget Jones, Pride & Prejudice, Taming of the Shrew, The Tempest, Birthday Letters and Waiting for Godot. I think that these are part of the core modules and what else you study depends on the modules that you choose. Unfortunately at the open day, I was only able to attend the English talks. I contacted the university after and asked them if they could give me any information regarding the history syllabus, but I received no information back. A friend of mine told me that a large focus of it is on Irish History...
Original post by Ciarán
My cousin told me her friend read Dracula, Bridget Jones, Pride & Prejudice, Taming of the Shrew, The Tempest, Birthday Letters and Waiting for Godot. I think that these are part of the core modules and what else you study depends on the modules that you choose. Unfortunately at the open day, I was only able to attend the English talks. I contacted the university after and asked them if they could give me any information regarding the history syllabus, but I received no information back. A friend of mine told me that a large focus of it is on Irish History...

Thank you so much! Although the Irish History thing isn't great news (when I did it at GCSE and A Level I HATED it :frown: ). The English side of things sounds decent though, I suppose I could always try to switch to straight English if I didn't like the History modules :smile:
Original post by snailsareslimy
Thank you so much! Although the Irish History thing isn't great news (when I did it at GCSE and A Level I HATED it :frown: ). The English side of things sounds decent though, I suppose I could always try to switch to straight English if I didn't like the History modules :smile:

I was very excited by the module titles too and glad that I chose UUC over Queens as it seems Queens (from speaking with a friend) boycott's the modernist movement and female writers like Woolf and Plath, which to me is just ludicrous.
Original post by Ciarán
I was very excited by the module titles too and glad that I chose UUC over Queens as it seems Queens (from speaking with a friend) boycott's the modernist movement and female writers like Woolf and Plath, which to me is just ludicrous.

Queens is actually my firm :tongue: for straight English (the history course didn't catch me the same as the English one did :tongue:). I actually really like the structure of the course, especially the way you can study creative writing modules alongside the standard English ones. But either way, I'll be happy with whatever the outcome is, the only real downside to Coleraine is the travel as I won't be staying in halls and will have to drive 45 minutes to get there.
Reply 75
Hi iv received an unconditional offer from magee for law with sociology. Iv applied for halls but iv been left school 2 years. Will anyone else be in this position in september? I just dont want to be older than everyone :s
Original post by sta
Hi iv received an unconditional offer from magee for law with sociology. Iv applied for halls but iv been left school 2 years. Will anyone else be in this position in september? I just dont want to be older than everyone :s

You'll certainly not be the eldest student, i don't know about halls. I've also recieved an offer for Law and i'm 36 years young :smile:
Reply 77
I went to Coleraine for 5 years. I did a degree in History with media and then a Masters. Still live in the area (Portstewart)

Any questions just fire away as I should be able to answer most queries.

A few of my own pointers:

The best of the student halls is Granagh Village (Uni grounds), but it is very expensive. Next best is Agerton Village ( in Portstewart) and then Errigal and Knockadyle (they are pretty much identical) The rest are pretty bad TBH and are not worth the price.

Most 1st year students live in halls then move to rented accomodation in Portstewart or Portrush because it is much cheaper. For some reason not many live in Coleraine. About 60% of the students at Coleraine live in Portstewart on Lissadell Avenue.

If you can't get in one of the 'good' halls I suggest finding somewhere to rent just google 'portstewart estate agents'. The best one is LPG Properities and Northcoast Properties is not too bad (they have the most houses available).

As I side if you've any specific queries fire away.

BTW those who are worried about being slightly older and not fitting in don't worry you'll be fine. There are plenty of people your age and much older at Uni. I was 23 when I started my degree and nobody batted an eyelid.

The great thing about Uni is there is people of all sorts of personalities and backgrounds. No matter what you are like you will meet people with similar interests.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Matt44th
I went to Coleraine for 5 years. I did a degree in History with media and then a Masters. Still live in the area (Portstewart)

Any questions just fire away as I should be able to answer most queries.

A few of my own pointers:

The best of the student halls is Granagh Village (Uni grounds), but it is very expensive. Next best is Agerton Village ( in Portstewart) and then Errigal and Knockadyle (they are pretty much identical) The rest are pretty bad TBH and are not worth the price.

Most 1st year students live in halls then move to rented accomodation in Portstewart or Portrush because it is much cheaper. For some reason not many live in Coleraine. About 60% of the students at Coleraine live in Portstewart on Lissadell Avenue.

If you can't get in one of the 'good' halls I suggest finding somewhere to rent just google 'portstewart estate agents'. The best one is LPG Properities and Northcoast Properties is not too bad (they have the most houses available).

As I side if you've any specific queries fire away.

BTW those who are worried about being slightly older and not fitting in don't worry you'll be fine. There are plenty of people your age and much older at Uni. I was 23 when I started my degree and nobody batted an eyelid.

The great thing about Uni is there is people of all sorts of personalities and backgrounds. No matter what you are like you will meet people with similar interests.

Thanks for that. I think I should be happy enough in Errigal then! I'd like to know if you could give me any information as to the content of the history course? I was able to get plenty of information from the university regarding English, but they never got back to me about history; so I currently have no idea what I am letting myself in for.
Reply 79
prospectus.ulster.ac.uk/modules/

Have at look at the above link. Information about the modules of all courses is there. It is true that there is a lot of Irish history. I graduated in 2009 so the content has changed quite a bit. The University is required to do a certain amount of Irish and British history modules by law, I think. But there were also modules I did about Russia, the Middle East and China, stuff like that.

To be honest the modules about British and Irish history are the most boring (and in some cases most difficult), but if your doing a combined degree in History and English you should be able to avoid any module you really don't like. BTW you are able to change a module during the first couple of weeks of a semester if you start it and really don't like it.

Quick Reply

Latest