The Student Room Group

Studying Veterinary Medicine in Europe

Hi Everyone,

I am a 'wannabe' vet and have desperately tried to get into a British Uni but with no success, for the past two years.
Although prompted by several members of my family and friends to choose another course or another job- I cannot bring myself to come up with a plan B.
I want to be a vet!
So, I am now looking into universities abroad that could offer me the course taught in English.
So far, I have discovered uni's in Warsaw, Brno (both through IMS) and then Kosice and Budapest. I can't find much information on them all though, and am unsure of the relevance of IMS.
Can anyone who has applied to these uni's (or others) let me know of their experiences in the application processes and if successful, how they're finding it studying abroad???

Thank you!!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KirstyMiller.26
Hi Everyone,

I am a 'wannabe' vet and have desperately tried to get into a British Uni but with no success, for the past two years.
Although prompted by several members of my family and friends to choose another course or another job- I cannot bring myself to come up with a plan B.
I want to be a vet!
So, I am now looking into universities abroad that could offer me the course taught in English.
So far, I have discovered uni's in Warsaw, Brno (both through IMS) and then Kosice and Budapest. I can't find much information on them all though, and am unsure of the relevance of IMS.
Can anyone who has applied to these uni's (or others) let me know of their experiences in the application processes and if successful, how they're finding it studying abroad???

Hey, I'm at uni in Kosice and I love it. There is a massive thread on here called "UVM Kosice", its usually on the first page somewhere! There is TONNES of information in there. There is a Budapest thread somewhere too, but it very rarely sees any action!

EDIT: As for the IMS thing, Kosice used to use IMS, but stopped ages ago, applications are just made directly. Then you will be invited to take the entrance exam, which is pretty easy, and you have a little chat with the vice rector and thats it. They don't mind about your school grades, you just have to pass the entrance exam and you're in. The course is 6 years long (they also do a graduate entry version, which is 4 years long - thats what i'm on). At the moment its 7500 euros/ year, and the price you start on is the price you stay for your entire degree. It seems to go up at 500 euros a year for new students. Check out the thread and www.uvm.sk/en for more info :-)
(edited 12 years ago)
I managed to stalk a few Warsaw students oN Facebook and they all loved the course and the city and it seems to have a fair few brit/irish students joining every year. My only concern is that it isn't EAEVE approved but I'm not sure what the actual implications of that are?
Thank you!!!

Tigercallie- I found the thread; and have been working through the 960-odd posts since :wink: I also hope you don't mind, but I added you on facebook to have a nosey at the pics you mentioned- it all looks fab!!!
Although, the vice rector chat sounds a tad scary- my past experiences with interviews have not been good!!!

MediterraneanX- Do you have the Warsaw students facebook links by any chance?? From what I can see, Kosice isn't EAEVE approved either; that'll be definately something that I look into!

:smile:
Also, for the entrance exam what level would it be aimed at? I know it is school leavers but I am concerned between the difference between school courses taught in different countries, i.e what if the Scottish curriculum doesn't cover some aspects that are taught at A-level in England...
Thank you!!!

Tigercallie- I found the thread; and have been working through the 960-odd posts since :wink: I also hope you don't mind, but I added you on facebook to have a nosey at the pics you mentioned- it all looks fab!!!
Although, the vice rector chat sounds a tad scary- my past experiences with interviews have not been good!!!

MediterraneanX- Do you have the Warsaw students facebook links by any chance?? From what I can see, Kosice isn't EAEVE approved either; that'll be definately something that I look into!

Here is the page that I found the students on - try and message a few of them as often messages from people outside of your circle of friends don't make it to your usual inbox! https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147261298627294

I can also inbox you the conversation I had with one of the girls that replied - she made it sound great to be honest. I also think Kosice is EAEVE approved now (passed the year just gone I believe) but I'm sure Callie or Hannah can clarify that. Also when I spoke to one of the girls from SGGW she said its really common for students to have not covered the same material at Alevel/the equivalent and that everything is taught as needed. For example they have a chemistry module covering equilibria which we study at Alevel but many of the international students haven't covered but it wasn't problematic as it was taught from scratch. Hope that helps a little!
Thank you!!!

Kosice is approved now, it happened last year sometime :-) its on the EAEVE website as approved :-)
Also, for the entrance exam what level would it be aimed at? I know it is school leavers but I am concerned between the difference between school courses taught in different countries, i.e what if the Scottish curriculum doesn't cover some aspects that are taught at A-level in England...

I've not done it (grads dont have to) but ill get my housemate Cass to post. But honestly though, from what ive heard its pretty easy.
Original post by tigercallie
I've not done it (grads dont have to) but ill get my housemate Cass to post. But honestly though, from what ive heard its pretty easy.

Hi sorry, I hope you dont mind but I have been stalking your posts slightly about UVM Kosice! Was just wondering how you funded the course if you dont mind me asking? As im interested in applying but not sure how I'd go about funding it :s-smilie:
Thanks !x
Original post by ashley-anne
Hi sorry, I hope you dont mind but I have been stalking your posts slightly about UVM Kosice! Was just wondering how you funded the course if you dont mind me asking? As im interested in applying but not sure how I'd go about funding it :s-smilie:
Thanks !x

Yeh sure, I'm graduate entry so need to pay 4 x 6500 euros (its gone up a bit since). However, with the grad fees in teh UK it was a bargain. I had some money saved up from present over the years and also some money I got in my grandparents will. So that paid for the first 2 years, the other 2 years i've borrowed from my mum, so im really lucky that I can do that.
Hey,

I've just joined after reading these posts for months. I have been accepted to Warsaw but was just wondering if anyone else on this forum is going to start this year?
Reply 11
Hi Everyone,

I want to be a vet!

I don't know if you would want to travel as far as America but have you considered St George's university?? Obviously in America and I was considering it but I'm not starting uni until 2014 so I would prefer to try a UK based university for my first attempt... I I don't get in in this country then the following year I will try abroad x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I heard something about one in Spain? i don't know anything about it though so if anyone has any info please share!
Original post by JHP1996
I don't know if you would want to travel as far as America but have you considered St George's university?? Obviously in America and I was considering it but I'm not starting uni until 2014 so I would prefer to try a UK based university for my first attempt... I I don't get in in this country then the following year I will try abroad x

St George's is crazily expensive, works out the same as doing graduate vet in the uk (so around £20000 a year).
Reply 14
Original post by tigercallie
St George's is crazily expensive, works out the same as doing graduate vet in the uk (so around £20000 a year).

Woooaaaaahhhh didn't realise that :s x

Original post by JHP1996

At an american uni for something like vet med or just vet, don't you need to do an undergraduate course first like biology?
Reply 16
Original post by glitter_star12
At an american uni for something like vet med or just vet, don't you need to do an undergraduate course first like biology?

I think they accept A level biology if you do an equivalent of a gateway course too?? I'm not completely certain to be honest because they do things so differently to how we do things :s x

hi, im new to this site so i'll try my best. i was just after some general advice about studying vet med abroad. i just got my a level results- AAB (biology, geography and chemistry) and it doesn't look possible for me to do resits and reapply. i have an offer to study animal science at nottingham this september but i have my heart set on becoming a vet. i've looked into the warsaw university but was wondering whether anyone could help me
Original post by char_webber
hi, im new to this site so i'll try my best. i was just after some general advice about studying vet med abroad. i just got my a level results- AAB (biology, geography and chemistry) and it doesn't look possible for me to do resits and reapply. i have an offer to study animal science at nottingham this september but i have my heart set on becoming a vet. i've looked into the warsaw university but was wondering whether anyone could help me

Help you with what? I'm not really sure what you're asking.

Places that do vet med in english are - Warsaw (Poland), Budapest (Hungary), Brno (Czech Republic), Kosice (Slovakia - the one i go to), oh and a newer one in Romania but i dont know where.

Fees per year range from €7500 (Slovakia) to around €10000 (Budapest), not sure what the others are, i think theyre somewhere in the middle. Romania is cheap, but I think there is some doubt as to how good the course is. Im not saying its bad AT ALL - it's just no one seems to know anything about it, and I dont think its recognised by RCVS yet.

Course Length - 6 years (Kosice do a 4 year graduate entry programme, the others dont).

Financial support - absolutely none. Kosice does a 4 year programme for people with a degree in science already. However, with the fees rise in the UK you'd be better off just doing the 6 year programme. In Kosice i would budget about £10,000 per year, meaning the degree is £60,0000 roughly.

Working in the UK - All apart from Romania (but check), mean you are qualified to work in the UK without any extra exams. At my uni, nearly everyone who graduated this year has a job in the UK already. You can check the status by searching on the RCVS website.

Entrance Requirements - All unis have an entrance exam that must be passed to gain a place. However, I don't think any of them are that difficult.

Hope this helps. There is a thread on here called UVM Kosice which is the uni im at. EVERYTHING is answered about that place on there. Afraid we don't seem to have many people from any of the other unis on this forum.
Reply 19
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm from Malaysia.I've been researching on vetmed courses all over and it all leads me to Europe because every well known unis out there is really crazy expensive.I've known a bit about Europe veterinary medicine degree and my only choice was Slovakia ,Brno , Warsaw and Budapest. All these place looks fine and great to settle in for a new uni life abroad.The fees are affordable too not to mention but there is still one problem I couldn't get it off my head ,about the entry requirements. I am still in my O-levels or (SPM) in Malaysia but I am confuse whether do I need to take pre-U/A-levels prior to entering any of the undergraduate degree in Europe and are there any way to get exemption to enter any of the course without having to sit the entrance exam?

I hope someone can help me here:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending