The Student Room Group

Chances for Cambridge MPhil Finance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TheConvexity
It is just a guess, but it sounds very reasonable to me that the admissions offices picks the very best and most promising candidates as soon as possible after they handed in their application since it is natural that the competition among other universities for those candidates is high and most of them have applied elsewhere, especially since no one would apply exlusively for Cambridge only.

Waiting an extremely long time sounds rather like you're in a pool of already rejected candidates who will receive their rejection jointly after the overall admission process has ended.

At least that's it what I believe in my case - I send my application by the end of December and haven't heard something until today (under consideration) and if they really had interest in my person they would have definitely told me that in the meantime.

Original post by janjanmmm
But everyone really makes a decision in May. Unless there is a deposit, which is rare, people accept offers and then still change their mind. So it may actually be more beneficial from the point of view of a strong uni to give a fresh offer to someone rather late, after all other offers are in, and sway the candidate. Also you have better chances that if someone accepts, he/she will actually attend.

It is true that for a weak school this strategy would not work very well, but for a Number One in the World it may be better than to appear "too easy" and hand out offers right away.

I know for a candidate it may seem tough, but admissions offices look at it differently.

Original post by application
Still "under consideration". I do agree with TheConvexity and simply assume rej from Cambridge even though it's my dream school. Sign....

I wouldn't think like this... many rejections have been given out in the past weeks, so the fact that you weren't one of them might be a good sign! Good luck to you all! :smile:
Original post by finance
I wouldn't think like this... many rejections have been given out in the past weeks, so the fact that you weren't one of them might be a good sign! Good luck to you all! :smile:

Thanks for the kind words. Do you have any idea how many offers have been given out?
Reply 42
Original post by finance

I agree. Just go through the degree committee stage for MPhil Economic Research... the longer you are in the game the higher the probability you will be admitted... My experience.
Reply 43
Original post by application
Thanks for the kind words. Do you have any idea how many offers have been given out?

I don't unfortunately. I know about 5 people who have gotten conditional offers thus far, but of course there are many more to be given! Good luck to you :smile:
Reply 44
Application, I am waiting for camsis movements as well...
Reply 45
Any updates for anyone this week? Still nothing here..
Still "Under consideration by department"= =....!!!!
Reply 47
I am dying here. No change ...
Reply 48
By the way, does anyone know when the committee meetings are?
Reply 49
Original post by e1s
By the way, does anyone know when the committee meetings are?

I believe the Admission Committees meet on Thursday at 11.30 (see here http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/committee/seniortutors/dates/). In my case, at least, I received news from them shortly after that time, so it should be correct.
Reply 50
Ok, I will wait, suffer, and see!
Reply 51
That's what the admission office emailed me today:

Dear ****

Your application has been carefully considered and kept in the Hold category as one of the many stronger applications the admissions committee has received and assessed for 2012 entry.

Unfortunately, against the seriously imposed capped number of offers we can make, it is looking increasingly unlikely that we will be able to make an offer to you and to many dozens of other applicants from the Hold category.
Sorry I can’t give you a better news.

With best wishes,
Reply 52
:frown:
Hi guys,

I've somehow managed to get an offer and I'm trying to work out to what extent I'm going to need to prepare over the summer. Obviously its a competitive course and I'm currently a physics undergrad with absolutely no relevant experience, so I'm wondering to what extent I will need to learn economics over the summer? Does anyone know of any others in my situation experience wise?

EDIT: apparently seeking college membership, does this mean I'm still not certain of a place?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Dogkicker91
Hi guys,

I've somehow managed to get an offer and I'm trying to work out to what extent I'm going to need to prepare over the summer. Obviously its a competitive course and I'm currently a physics undergrad with absolutely no relevant experience, so I'm wondering to what extent I will need to learn economics over the summer? Does anyone know of any others in my situation experience wise?

EDIT: apparently seeking college membership, does this mean I'm still not certain of a place?

With your extremely strong quantitative background, you perhaps just need to get some introductory/intermediate finance textbook to get the fundamental intuition of finance and learn how to transfer your quant skills into finance :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by e1s
That's what the admission office emailed me today:

Dear ****

Your application has been carefully considered and kept in the Hold category as one of the many stronger applications the admissions committee has received and assessed for 2012 entry.

Unfortunately, against the seriously imposed capped number of offers we can make, it is looking increasingly unlikely that we will be able to make an offer to you and to many dozens of other applicants from the Hold category.
Sorry I can’t give you a better news.

With best wishes,

Ahhhhh Hard luck man. I guess the same goes for everybody who's 'In Consideration by the Department' :frown:
Reply 56
Rejection.
Still under consideration.

I wrote them yesterday and uploaded an information in the self service account that I was awarded a huge and very prestigous german scholarship for my studies. Unfortunately it was not possible to receive that information earlier - any idea whether they might take it into account within such a narrow timeframe before decisions will be made?

Nevertheless, I do not really expect an offer, since my GPA is "only" 1.3 (whilst 1.0 is the best in Germany).

Good luck and best wishes to everyone who is still waiting!
Reply 58
Where do you study convexity?
@e1s: That is the second problem why I do not expect an offer. I studied at Frankfurt School of Finance & Management. Despite my ranking is strong (3rd of 102) I think the FS will be a problem since most renowned UK unis do not like German B-Schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending