Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chances for Cambridge MPhil Finance

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rejection
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheConvexity)
    @e1s: That is the second problem why I do not expect an offer. I studied at Frankfurt School of Finance & Management. Despite my ranking is strong (3rd of 102) I think the FS will be a problem since most renowned UK unis do not like German B-Schools.

This is unreasonable. Given that you are still in the waiting game, they are certainly giving a serious consideration on your application.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by application)
    Rejection
    I am finding this thread is a bit sad >_<
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it. Expecting a rejection any moment now...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys, I do not want to be the descendant of bad news, but my hopes of getting into the program are close to 0%. I talked to the secretary of the admissions commission and she was very pessimistic about any more offers. Before applying, I was almost certain to get a spot, which is why I postponed my application until the end of January. This might be the stupidest mistake I have ever made in my life.

To give you guys an impression of my profile:

And now I am devastated. I think about reapplying in October, so I woud just spend a year working at some finance related firms in the US and Asia. Saving more money would also make the Oxford MFE financially possible + I could prepare for the GRE, score the **** out of it and apply for Cam Econ as a backup plan. What do you think?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    @e1s with this profile why do you want to do a masters at all? Plans for PhD?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e1s)
    Ok guys, I do not want to be the descendant of bad news, but my hopes of getting into the program are close to 0%. I talked to the secretary of the admissions commission and she was very pessimistic about any more offers. Before applying, I was almost certain to get a spot, which is why I postponed my application until the end of January. This might be the stupidest mistake I have ever made in my life.

To give you guys an impression of my profile:

European citizen, studying in Holland. CGPA is 9.0/10.0 and I am double-majoring in Economics (main program) and finance (honours major), so I graduate with 210 ECTS. I know numerous people from my university+from my program, who got into Cam Econ with a 8.0 CGPA => Its not that Cambridge doesn't like my Uni. Compared to my fellow peers, I am the best in my program (110 people) and top 1% of my faculty (6600 people). Reference letters state "very top 1%" of the program+gives benchmark size. I received several awards and scholarships for my grades + got into the most prestigious german undergrad scholarship program - Studienstiftung, which would have also largely covered my tuition fees + living expenses. Currently, I finish my last semester abroad at Berkeley, have numerous internships including bulge bracket ones, was instructor of finance seminars for first year students, was head of a career event for 100+ students, and have volunteer work experience in 3rd world countries. I have research experience -> extensive research thesis (40+ page thesis) in game theory for which I was awarded with the highest grade among all competing students (only third years and I was a second year student). My parents are poor, so I had to finance my studies on my own = work, I have a social life too and like to get drunk sometimes.

And now I am devastated. I think about reapplying in October, so I woud just spend a year working at some finance related firms in the US and Asia. Saving more money would also make the Oxford MFE financially possible + I could prepare for the GRE, score the **** out of it and apply for Cam Econ as a backup plan. What do you think?

hmm... There are many alternatives. The LSE Finance is also highly prestigiou.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lalafell)
    hmm... I can see some exaggerations but I am also sure you are a bright student. There are many alternatives. The LSE Finance is also highly prestigiou.
    Please PM me what you think are exaggerations I am seriously interested in your thoughts because my self presentation might be an issue (although other people read and approved my answers).

LSE is not an option for me. I want to go to Oxbridge. My motivation does not come from any job or academic related desires, but is rather the pure wish to study and experience one of these two universities. I already got fulltime offers for M&A jobs, which is what I want to do for a living. You see that the NPV of a master is hardly positive, if at all, and the one of a PhD is just so negative that I would rather work.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... since you are Econ major with Finance minior and since you just want to have Oxbridge experience, I wonder whether you have applied to the MPhil Economics. The MPhil Economics is less competitive judging by the admission statistics but have higher entry barriers in terms of people's technical background. But since you are Econ major in a highly respectable university, I don't think technical background is an issue.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Or the MPHil Finance and Ecoomics and this program shares many modules with the MPHil Finance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think that I only minor in finance?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And ja, thats what I plan: To apply for either of both as a backup plan.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    @e1s: That is the second problem why I do not expect an offer. I studied at Frankfurt School of Finance & Management. Despite my ranking is strong (3rd of 102) I think the FS will be a problem since most renowned UK unis do not like German B-Schools.
    Not to worry about 1.3 in Germany or a German school..
    I have a conditional offer for the MPhil Finance and my GPA is 1.3 as well in Germany..
    Just wait and maybe you are lucky and will receive an offer!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rejection
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by application)
    Rejection
    Rejection
    Sorry to hear that, sometimes admission is just a gamble I wish you both the best of luck with your other applications!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it would have been nice but I can live with that since I already have an offer from SSE which might be not top notch such as Cambridge but is a great uni and an excellent program. And anyway, applications for LBS and LSE are still running ;-)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone still 'Awaiting Consideration by Department'? I applied back in mid January and my application is still awaiting consideration.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j_jordan)
    Is anyone still 'Awaiting Consideration by Department'? I applied back in mid January and my application is still awaiting consideration.
    Same here. Applied early December. Braced for a rejection.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thumbs up!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if they make any more offers at all ...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 19, 2013
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.