The Student Room Group

Chances for Cambridge MPhil Finance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
75% conditional is ridiculous. In my 2nd year only 1 or 2 people in the whole faculty of 500+ people got 75%+ and the 3rd year is supposed to be harder.
Original post by Lalafell
Another friend of mine got an conditional offer on average 75% in the last year of her undergrad. It seems like the typical offer for the MPhil Finance is 75% in the third year.

Mine is just 70%, I imagine it's either because they view it as harder at Cambridge or just an institutional biass in favour of their own students?
Reply 102
Original post by Dogkicker91
Mine is just 70%, I imagine it's either because they view it as harder at Cambridge or just an institutional biass in favour of their own students?

No idea. By the way, is 70% a distinction in Cambrige undergrad courses? I know that for the MPhil Economics/Economic Research and probably MPhil Finance, a distinction is 75% and 70% is only a good pass. Moreover, the pass mark for these courses is 60%...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 103
Why i got downvoted? XD

It is an internal rule written on the Cambridge MPhil Economic Research handbook that 1) "Students who achieve an overall average mark of 75 across the coursework and dissertation, will receive a Distinction from the University."; 2) "The normal requirement to pass the M.Phil degree is to achieve an overall average mark of at least 60 in the coursework Modules, and separately a mark of at least 60 in the Dissertation."
edited out
(edited 11 years ago)
edited out
(edited 11 years ago)
No idea. By the way, is 70% a distinction in Cambrige undergrad courses? I know that for the MPhil Economics/Economic Research and probably MPhil Finance, a distinction is 75% and 70% is only a good pass. Moreover, the pass mark for these courses is 60%...

70 is first and 60 2.1 like other undergrad courses at other unis. The only difference is we don't actually get degree grades with our degree just a BA (Employers just ask for mark breakdowns, which can be better or worse depending on how your marks pan out throughout the 3 years).
Reply 107
Is anyone here planning to do the Financial Engineering track of the MPhil in Finance?
Hi,

the program demands a significant undergrad economics or quantitative component. What exactly does this mean?

Is it realistic to think about the course with a management degree with some coursework in micro/macroeconomics, statistics and basic math, but nothing really challenging? Or is the course more or less catering towards an economics/math/etc crowd? (I don't mean the financial engineering stream, obviously)
Reply 109
I think they expect something similar to a Math minor (ie calculus sequence, linear algebra, differential equations and perhaps an introductory course on probability and statistics). As far as Economics, I think they are looking for students who have taken up to Intermediate Micro and Macro, and I think they also expect a course on Econometrics. Hope this helps..
Reply 110
To support my last post, take a look at the following. I am sure you know that the MPhil in Finance starts with a pre-sessional course in September. This course is shared with MPhil Economics students, and covers the following (citation):

The compulsory three-week preparatory course in mathematics and statistics runs from mid-September to early October. The aim of this is to review and develop the required technical methods for the compulsory core modules in macroeconomics, microeconomics, and econometrics. The topics covered are: linear algebra; statistics; static optimisation; dynamic optimisation; differential and difference equations. The preparatory course also includes a two hour examination.
Thank you very much,
exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for.
Reply 112
Original post by poorstudentguy
Thank you very much,
exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for.

Sure thing, good luck :smile:
Reply 113
Hi everybody,

I am also interested in a Master degree in Finance in the UK.

Here is my profile:

*University
- Ecole Polytechnique Paris : GPA 4.0/4.0
- Munich Technical university : GPA: 4.0/4.0

*Major: applied mathematics for finance

*Internship: 3 moth internship in a hedge fund in Manhattan

i wonna know if i have chances to enroll the Mphil in finance in Cambridge and whether i ll be able to get a scholarship.

Do you think it is the best program in the UK for someone who wants to become a trader ?

Thanks,
Reply 114
Hey I wondered if anyone who is familiar with the process could be me a brief idea if I'm a decent candidate for the MPhil in Finance:

-About to start my fourth year at University of Warwick studying for a Masters of Physics, my dissertation this year is in [statistical] theoretical physics (ie very mathematical) (and I've obtained a first in all of my first three years of study)

-During my third year of study I interned at a Management Consulting boutique for a month over the Easter holidays and with a BB Investment bank for 9 weeks in their S&T division over the summer

-Number of other extra curricular activities relating to business and finance on my CV acquired over the last four years or so

Main problem is I haven't taken any finance/business modules while being at university, but obviously I've picked up some knowledge from the internships, I wondered if most people going onto this degree have an undergrad in Finance/Economics?

Thanks!
Original post by superkam
Hey I wondered if anyone who is familiar with the process could be me a brief idea if I'm a decent candidate for the MPhil in Finance:

-About to start my fourth year at University of Warwick studying for a Masters of Physics, my dissertation this year is in [statistical] theoretical physics (ie very mathematical) (and I've obtained a first in all of my first three years of study)

-During my third year of study I interned at a Management Consulting boutique for a month over the Easter holidays and with a BB Investment bank for 9 weeks in their S&T division over the summer

-Number of other extra curricular activities relating to business and finance on my CV acquired over the last four years or so

Main problem is I haven't taken any finance/business modules while being at university, but obviously I've picked up some knowledge from the internships, I wondered if most people going onto this degree have an undergrad in Finance/Economics?

Thanks!

Economics is not really finance so those people don't have much of an advantage. But yes, most people are econ/fin though enough are math/physics/engineering for you not to feel left out.
Reply 116
Original post by lego
75% conditional is ridiculous. In my 2nd year only 1 or 2 people in the whole faculty of 500+ people got 75%+ and the 3rd year is supposed to be harder.

Ridiculous? A person who did a mathematical finance BSc at CASS and now doing the MPhil in Finance at Cam told me today that his condition was to achieve an average of 80% in his third year...
Reply 117
Ridiculous? A person who did a mathematical finance BSc at CASS and now doing the MPhil in Finance at Cam told me today that his condition was to achieve an average of 80% in his third year...

BTW, the guy got 730+ GMAT as well.
Reply 118
Hi Guys, is this thread still active? This is apparently for the 2012 intake. I would like to enquire about the 2013 intake! Does anybody plan to apply yet?
Reply 119
I agree. I am going to apply for the 2013 intake too. Let's change our topic to discussion about 2013 intake!
I wonder if it is crucial to take the GMAT test. Cambridge does not require GMAT score, but I see so many people here talking about having a 700+.
Does anyone here got an offer from Cambridge without taking the GMAT/GRE test?
Do you think the chance of getting an offer will be extremely low if I apply in December? coz I can't seem to finish my application before December :frown:
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending