The Student Room Group

PGDip Nursing (childs)

There doesn't seem to be a thread for folks applying for a PGDip in childrens nursing.

I've applied to Nottingham, Kingston, Bucks and Oxford Brookes and DMU for undergrad nursing as they dont have a postgrad option.

I have interviews with Kingston and DMU but have still not heard from the other.

I'm currently studying Biochemistry and molecular medicine at the university of Nottingham.

Where else have people applied / heard from and what are you studying now / have studied?
Reply 1
Im not sure if this relevant but Birmingham City University are taking nursing student intakes for April :/ but its a degree course i think :smile:
Reply 2
Hi, I've applied for the PGdip in child branch at Nottingham, Kingston, bucks, kings college, and city. City have given me a flat no, I have an interview at Kingston, and I'm waiting to hear from the others.
I graduated with a 2:1 in psychology from Loughborough in 2010, and have been working as a healthcare assistant at Nottingham children's hospital at Queens med ever since.
How are u feeling about interviews and numeracy tests etc. To say I'm a bit nervous would be a slight understatement :-)
Reply 3
Awesome, when's your interview at kingston? Mines 15th Feb.
Im actually starting volunteer work on CAU at the QMC tomorrow! And have lots of other relevant experience but not enough to apply for Kings :frown:
I'm not too worried about the tests, i'm naturally good at maths and enjoy it (without sounding big-headed!!) although literacy, i'm not as confident on but 50% should be achievable - hopefuly!

With regards to Birmingham city, i'll have a look - thanks :smile:
The PGDip though is a post-graduate diploma for people who already have degrees in other fields and the PGDip is actually worth more than a degree and it'll be a 2 year course only.
Reply 4
Mines on the 17th.
I hope you enjoyed your first day volunteering, I've done a few shifts on cau and its alright, very busy as its kinda ship em in ship em out, whereas on my usual ward patients are a bit more long term. There a nice team though and their manager takes a no nonsense approach but in a good way if you know what I mean.
Good luck in your interview, and who knows, maybe I'll see you there in September.
Where's your first choice, if you got an offer from all of them? Mines Nottingham, for convenience, and because if you do a dissertation in your second year you gain a masters without having to spend another year studying.
Reply 5
Aww thanks, I really enjoyed it actually :smile:

My first choice is Nottingham too, but in that case i'll be seeing you in January! (assuming you got the email and know about the altered start date?)

I really like the idea of gaining a masters too. I spoke to them about it and they said I can even do a lab based research project! And they were really keen for me to do it!!

Ill give you a heads up on the interview so you can do some extra prep, seeing as mine if before yours :smile:
Reply 6
Heard from Nottingham today, have an interview on march 13th. Yay! I found out about the altered start date at an open day I went to last year. To be honest it suits me better as I'll have finished my nvq by then and that basically covers all the stuff they want you to provide evidence of by November. Bit nervous about the presentation though. Not the biggest fan of public speaking but hey who is?

Have you heard? Maybe we could work on our presentations together? Two has better than one etc!
What sort of evidence do they want u to provided for nottingham , i want to apply but not sure if I have enough experience. I applied to southampton unis diploma but they stopped doing it this year.
Reply 8
You have to demonstrate that you have previous experience relevant to nursing, they give you a booklet and you have to collate evidence in the form of reflective written pieces, observed practice, or through conversations with staff that demonstrates youve already achieved some learning to warrant letting you on the accelerated course. You only have to complete it if you're offered a place, but your place is conditional on you completing it. At least thats my understanding
Holeye, I just read your comment on giving me a heads up about the Kingston interview, as much as its said out of generosity and I appreciate the offer, you'd be giving me an unfair advantage over yourself, and everyone else, and I'd feel more satisfied knowing I'd done it fairly. Also if they ever found out it would ruin both our chances of getting in anywhere as they'd tell ucas etc
etc.
Reply 9
Sorry if I sounded preachy there, but I'd never forgive myself if I stopped someone, you, me or any of the other applicants from having the opportunity to get on the course. Hate how self righteous I sound right now! Sorry, and thank you for thinking of me, but don't risk your place. Hope u understand.
Reply 10
Hey sorry, not been checking on here.
Thats fine about the Kingston, I totally understand :smile:
Ive still not heard from Notts, I went into to their nursing office (as i walk past it twice a day on my way to lectures) and they said it could be another 3 weeks! Congrats on getting an interview though!!
Yeah we can work together on the presentations, would be good to see how someone else is gonna approach it, assuming they let me have an interview.
My Kingston interview is tomorrow, gonna be a looong day!
Reply 11
Just got back from my interview in Kingston. They really didn't sell themselves and a lot of the staff were really patronising! I will take great pleasure in rejecting them!!
The best advice I can give you is make sure you take all your documents like they asked (quite a few didn't and got turned away!)
Oh and prepared to sit through an hour of the most boring presentation you will ever have to endure!!
Good luck though! haha
Reply 12
Kingston university are the mmost professional and organised interview I have attended to date. I left my interview for pgdip not expecting to be made an offer and then low and behold got a phoen call the next working day.... are you sure that nursing is what you want to do if you feel so negatively about the interview process? The way I see it is that they just want to make sure that they acquire the best candidates... you want to be at a university where they challenge you to get in so you know that yourself and peers are of a certain callibre... or in my eyes anyway!
I wish you the best on the rest of your applications
Reply 13
Hey guys, I have applied for Pgdip at university of west London and Bournemouth. Any idea of what interviews involve? Do you do numeracy and literacy tests too like those of a Bsc or it's a different experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending