The Student Room Group

Is a second undergrad degree a waste of time?

Hey! Sorry to bother all of you, but I really need some advice from all of you wonderful people :biggrin:

I am currently a second year student of English and German Literature and Linguistics in Bucharest, Romania. My dream is to work in the music industry one day.
I am a amateur photographer for three new Romanian bands and I also work at a concert organizing company. I deal with invitations, ticket winners and the press.
That's about all I could and will find here.

I was at first thinking of doing either MA Music Industries at Birmingham City University or an Cultural and Creative Industries MA (or something similar) or even a Management one!
But then I looked at the Media and Communications (Music Industries path) degree at BCU and realized that these people are going to have far more experience than me, so what are my chances?

Should I just do the MA and try to find jobs (even unpaid ones - as most of them are so) or start another undergrad degree? (I'll be almost 23 when I start)

Thanks for reading my whole rant. I appreciate it.
Reply 1
I don't have any specific advice on what path you should take, but I just wanted to mention finance. If you wanted to study a 2nd undergrad degree in the UK you wouldn't get any help from student finance with the course fees, and in fact, would pay the un-subsidised fees, which would be on par with the fees international students pay. I know the finance isn't a problem for some people but thought I should mention it, as if you were relying on it, it might sway your decision :smile:
Reply 2
I haven't done an undergrad in the UK - so shouldn't I be able to get help from student finance? :-s
Reply 3
No, it doesn't matter where in the world you've previously studied, ANY study at higher education level is counted towards future eligibility for student finance. You would be subject to ELQ rules if you already hold a degree.

Even if ELQ rules didn't apply (for instance, combined masters being your new course, or an exception course like medicine etc) your previous study would be counted regardless where you studied and the following formula would be applied:

Length of new course (years) + 1 year - previous study (years [part years, even if only 1 day counts as 1 year]) = entitlement

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware, but there isn't any funding from student finance for any masters courses in the UK (for UK citizens, or anyone else).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Yes, I know about the masters funding.
Oh, so, right, I can't have help from the student finance for the undergrad. Then masters it is!
Thanks for your help :biggrin:
Reply 5
Sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but I'm glad it's kind of helped make your decision easier :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending