The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Its almost impossible to go on clothes size.

Anyway someone might need a size 14 is they're muscular, in which case you wouldn't call them fat.

But maybe 14 + if they're short and 16-18 + if they're tall, but still, like I said they might need those sizes if they've got muscle, but if they need them because they're flabby.
Reply 41
Original post by Veronique:-)

Great insight on me being a size 16 (the irony :tongue:), I could argue this ridic statement, but even if I was, were I 6'10 or something that crazy, would you still call me fat?
nope. Because.it.depends.on.heights.body.structures.etc. every woman looks different, has a different constitution, etc.

Surely even if you were 6ft10 you would not wear a 16 because it would be far too short, and far too wide too if you were thin?
I still think someone who is 6ft10 and a size 16 would look relatively large in all honesty, the fact of the matter is they would have to be pretty wide for it to fit them.

I think a better example is if you were a female bodybuilder you might need a 16 without being fat?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Steevee
Average height for a female in the UK is 5"4. This is not in dispute. Clearly we are talking about the UK because we are using UK sizes.

And yeah, UK sizes don;t apply all over the world. US and UK sizes are totally different. The East use a different sizing system altogether, and so does Europe.

Ok, let's be clear here. The OP was asking for opinions, I gave mine. I am in no way forcing you or any other woman to 'fit a mold', but I am entitled to my opinion. And my opinion is that someone who is 5"4 and a size 14 is chubby, someone who is 5"4 and a size 16 is fat. Don;t like that? Maybe you're a size 16? Deal with it. Don;t want to hear that sort of thing, don't come to a thread explicitly discussing it.

Yes, you are definitely allowed your own opinion. :smile:

However, I don't think you need to be rude and aggressive when posting it, doesn't really add to your argument at all. Do you like trying to offend/ upsetting people or something?

I would take your opinion more seriously, if you construed it in a calm and constructive way, rather than saying 'Deal with it' 'Don't like that?' ect. You just sound like an immature boy that, rather than calmly stating his opinion like any adult would do, would rather resort to petty remarks for no discernible reason, than perhaps to make himself feel good.

Just my opinion. :smile:
Reply 43

This girl is a size 14/16. How on earth is she fat? Depends on height.
when I was a 10 a couple of years ago, because of my height people claimed I was underweight. My best friend is an 10 too but barely 5 feet and she's been called chubby a few times.
It's ridiculous, really.
This society is messed up, i say GOD BLESS FOOD.
eating is amazing, let's face it :wink:

Hang on a minute, how tall/heavily airbrushed/corseted and spanxed is this woman?!
I have a similar figure to that with a slightly smaller chest and I am 5ft 8 and a size 10-12
So she must be what, like 6ft5 to make that look in proportion at a size 16???
Original post by redferry
Surely even if you were 6ft10 you would not wear a 16 because it would be far too short, and far too wide too if you were thin?
I still think someone who is 6ft10 and a size 16 would look relatively large in all honesty, the fact of the matter is they would have to be pretty wide for it to fit them.

I think a better example is if you were a female bodybuilder you might need a 16 without being fat?

Yeah, i see your point, but that russian model, idk Katya something, is a size 14 and 6'1 and she looks pretty good? I mean, she doesn't strike you as fat, she has a flat stomach etc.

And about your other post, she's probs airbrushed, but I also think it's about how toned her body is? From what I know, plus size models are often required to be fit, and toned, a lot of them have firm bodies, no matter how big they are. She's 5'11. i will admit I chose that pic because it was the most flattering, she looks a bit bigger usually :wink: It's the pose and the corset.
Hang on a minute, how tall/heavily airbrushed/corseted and spanxed is this woman?!
I have a similar figure to that with a slightly smaller chest and I am 5ft 8 and a size 10-12
So she must be what, like 6ft5 to make that look in proportion at a size 16???

size fourteens http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS98omFq7d3sj44vBa7_fFDiS-XUvOcEpYMMJfW0Sy-eHozKmllyZuA3fVRew http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq4y3v06u71qcl5svo1_500.png http://blog.curvykate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Curvy_Kate_Romance_Black_Purple_Short-2.jpg

this last one, the tall one is 6'5 and a 14 too http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sxEAHYKPV6o/TWcRKgRLCaI/AAAAAAAAAWw/sRg2e2EfaXg/s1600/model1.png
my bad too of them are the same women :")
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Yeah, i see your point, but that russian model, idk Katya something, is a size 14 and 6'1 and she looks pretty good? I mean, she doesn't strike you as fat, she has a flat stomach etc.

And about your other post, she's probs airbrushed, but I also think it's about how toned her body is? From what I know, plus size models are often required to be fit, and toned, a lot of them have firm bodies, no matter how big they are. She's 5'11. i will admit I chose that pic because it was the most flattering, she looks a bit bigger usually :wink: It's the pose and the corset.

I don't mean this in an offensive way at all, but I think the clothes she is wearing are designed to make her look thin and seem to be pulling her in quite a bit, plus that photo is quite clearly airbrushed, I would have to see her in other clothes in a more natural pic to judge whether she has a flat stomach. Although at a size 14 it is possible, I would be doubtful at a size 16 however.

Most of the plus size models (14 and above) I have seen in adverts haven't been very toned, but maybe that's just the media.
E.g:

Exactly, the fact that they need to be corseted in to look slim, means they aren't naturally slim...
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with how they look, they are quite clearly very beautiful women, but I'm not really sure you can claim they aren't, in he medical sense of the word, fat.
I don't mean this in an offensive way at all, but I think the clothes she is wearing are designed to make her look thin and seem to be pulling her in quite a bit, plus that photo is quite clearly airbrushed, I would have to see her in other clothes in a more natural pic to judge whether she has a flat stomach. Although at a size 14 it is possible, I would be doubtful at a size 16 however.

Most of the plus size models (14 and above) I have seen in adverts haven't been very toned, but maybe that's just the media.
E.g:

Exactly, the fact that they need to be corseted in to look slim, means they aren't naturally slim...
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with how they look, they are quite clearly very beautiful women, but I'm not really sure you can claim they aren't, in he medical sense of the word, fat.

Not really. Fat is closer to obese, and not sure it's even ever used in a medical term.
They aren't slim, they are however, everything but fat? I wouldn't even consider them chubby. curvy at most
And yep, saw that pic some time ago - the lovehandles and all of that were left for the purpose of the add - to invert conventions. this is not the standard pic of a plus size model.
most plus size models I see look more toner than me, when I was still a size 10, I had flabby bits and pieces they don't seem to have, I'm an 8 now, but my stomach is barely flatter than hers? http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS98omFq7d3sj44vBa7_fFDiS-XUvOcEpYMMJfW0Sy-eHozKmllyZuA3fVRew hers tbh . And yet, she's a 14, probs even a 16 in certain clothes (since sizes vary depending on the item of clothing/shop) hence chubby/fat.
That's the thing though, I thought there was a standard, thought that a size 10/12 could be regarded as fat, but after losing weight, i still think I don't look healthier than them. In the medical sense, that is. And like I said, if *fat* were EVER used in a medical manner, it would imply a lack of health.
See that last one is the only one that has a properly toned figure.
and she is ginormous. And pretty hench.

to me, toned isn't muscular, or chiseled. It's firm. When you have a flat, firm stomach, it's pretty toned to me.
But that's my point, she's a plus size model nonetheless. a 14. so yeah, plus size models can, and do, look everything but fat at times.
it does happen, that's all.
Reply 50
Wouldn't go for a girl shorter than 5ft10, and at that height a size 10 is allowable. Just about.
Reply 51
Clothing sizes vary from shop to shop as well.
In some places I'm an 8, in others I'm a 10 or 12.
Reply 52
Original post by JKGB
Clothing sizes vary from shop to shop as well.
In some places I'm an 8, in others I'm a 10 or 12.

Topshop is the worst... I'm somewhere between a 12 and 14 in their dresses but ten pretty much everywhere else :s-smilie:
Reply 53
It's all about confidence really. If someone is lets say, 'larger' is really confident with who they are and what the look like generally people won't see their size. Where as if they are very unconfident then people will more likely see their size and think that they are 'fat'.

For example a few years ago I thought that I was fat and I hated my body. I was a size 6-8 and people called me fat. Now I'm a size 8-10 and I love my body and now people tell me that I look great. It's more about how you feel about yourself.
x
Reply 54
Original post by Claudine
It's all about confidence really. If someone is lets say, 'larger' is really confident with who they are and what the look like generally people won't see their size. Where as if they are very unconfident then people will more likely see their size and think that they are 'fat'.

For example a few years ago I thought that I was fat and I hated my body. I was a size 6-8 and people called me fat. Now I'm a size 8-10 and I love my body and now people tell me that I look great. It's more about how you feel about yourself.
x

Unless you are a midget very few people are going to think you are fat at a size 8-10

If you are a size 20 people will notice your size no matter how confident you are.
Reply 55
Unless you are a midget very few people are going to think you are fat at a size 8-10

If you are a size 20 people will notice your size no matter how confident you are.

I agree, and I'm not a midget.

Yes true, people who are a size 20 are going to be noticed, but people won't care about their size if they are confident.
Original post by Claudine

x

It's true :smile: But it's also about constitution. My sister was always fuller-looking than me, idk how, but like, she's so slim but she has a chubby face? i mean like, some women are made to be skinny, like, that's their constitution, so when they put on weight and reach a normal size, they look bigger than they are :smile:

8-10 is still small btw, and when people called you fat...Ha, they probably wanted to trick you into giving them your desert at lunch. (or maybe It's just me doing that with my friends - never works).
Reply 57
It's true :smile: But it's also about constitution. My sister was always fuller-looking than me, idk how, but like, she's so slim but she has a chubby face? i mean like, some women are made to be skinny, like, that's their constitution, so when they put on weight and reach a normal size, they look bigger than they are :smile:

I know what you mean. Some people have larger faces which can make them look 'fat' even if they're not.
Reply 58
Original post by headbands,
Ive been reading a lot of posts on the student room about size ect, and it seems to me that if your a size 12-14 your classed as 'fat' or 'chubby' ! :/
I was just wondering at what size do you then class someone as fat?

You really have to put the girls height and body type into consideration
I'm 5'11'' and a size 14 but nobody in their right mind would call me fat :wink:
Reply 59
Original post by free_hugs
You really have to put the girls height and body type into consideration
I'm 5'11'' and a size 14 but nobody in their right mind would call me fat :wink:

To be honest I wouldn't call size 14 fat in most cases, at size 14 it is totally dependant on height
My mum used to be a size 14 at 5ft 8 (on the bottom anyhow) and she has never been fat, just wide hips.

However I think when you get to size 16, the majority of people will be carrying extra weight.

Latest

Trending

Trending